Author Topic: Starting and Audio Magazine Roughly Based on Escapepod's Business Model  (Read 3286 times)

jackstratton

• Extern
I'm currently putting together an Erotic Audio Fiction Magazine and I am trying to use the Escape Artist business model, or at least what I have gleaned of it from listening to the podcasts and metacasts.

Basically all the stories will always be free, no premium content ever. The site will run on donations and some advertising (we are being very picky) and authors will be paid, though not much at first. We plan on having short stories and flash fiction.

Right now I have a domain and hosting, I have recording equipment and a few other audiophiles who can record. I am starting the paperwork to start a NPO (Non Profit Organization) and I have a group of very popular sex bloggers and sex writers who are interested.

I'm a published erotica (and non-erotic) fiction writer as well as having a full time job, but this is something I really want to do and I think I can make it work.

Any advice? Is Escape Artists Inc an NPO? I'm trying to figure out things like starting a bank account so I can pay authors from an account that is not personally mine and so on. Also I am piecing together contracts. Trying to figure out how much research needs to be done for checking copyright, it all goes on and on. Also getting a lot of writers to understand the value of putting these things out as creative commons. Getting writers to understand that they aren't going to be reading their work.

In other words, halp.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Ask Nobilis
tho im sure someone here will help.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Cool, best of luck!  We are not a non-profit, we are a regular old LLC.  Becoming a non-profit is a pain, although we sometimes still kick around the idea.  Steve handled all the setup so I can't get too much more specific.  Escape Pod began with a personal investment from Steve's pocket, so writers were paid reasonable rates from the get-go.  With erotica, though, you'll probably get a decent amount of interest with or without that, and will hopefully work your way up fast.  In general, being an audio reprint market is key to the success of the entire endeavor -- until recently, few publishers have insisted on authors signing away audio rights, so authors retain them which allows us to deal directly with them.  So we don't need a legal department (knock on wood).

The only advice I have off the bat is: edit your About page.  Other than that, if you have more specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM or email and I'll help if I can.