Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 843688 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2675 on: February 09, 2018, 04:44:42 AM
I've recently revisited the Myth series by Robert Aspirin. The first three hold up exceptionally well to time. The fourth, while not as exceptional as the first three was still quite enjoyable. I'm going to keep poking at these books this year, as I realized I had around a dozen on the shelf, most untouched for decades, some untouched entirely.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2676 on: February 16, 2018, 12:58:43 PM
I've been going back and forth between the Super Powereds series by Drew Hayes and the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne.

And I am enjoying both!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2677 on: February 16, 2018, 03:24:33 PM
I've been going back and forth between the Super Powereds series by Drew Hayes and the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne.

And I am enjoying both!

Haven't read anything by Hearne but hear good things about his works. I have penciled into my "to read" pile for later this year Kill the Farm Boy that he is writing with Delilah S. Dawson.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2678 on: March 20, 2018, 05:43:53 PM
Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike 3)

RexMagenta

• Palmer
Reply #2679 on: April 24, 2018, 08:13:23 AM
I've just finished The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. A rare trip for me outside my usual SFF wheelhouse but absolutely deserving of all the hype. It's topical, of course, but it's also deeply moving and full of well-drawn characters each with their own flaws.

Now I'm starting Damn Fine Story by Chuck Wendig in the hope of boosting my own stories a bit.

It's fun to stay at the \o/ <o> (o_ /o\

Pronouns: she/her

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2680 on: April 28, 2018, 05:36:09 AM
Just finished When Heaven Fell by William Barton, one of my favorite books of all time. This is the second time I read it, the first reread since it was first released in 1995. This book is dystopia fiction to the nth degree, Earth is destroyed and under the thumb of the "master race" who recruits a tiny fraction of humanity's survivors to serve in the Spahi mercenary corps. Excellent and complicated.

Currently reading Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut, not a sci fi book, but a great read.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2681 on: May 07, 2018, 03:55:36 AM
Just finished Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut, and Women by Charles Bukowski.

Both interesting.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2682 on: July 23, 2018, 10:00:38 PM
The Scar, by China Miéville.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

kingfisher

• Extern
    • Kingfisher Labs
Reply #2683 on: August 01, 2018, 09:17:48 PM

I loved The Scar! Probably my favorite of the novels Mieville wrote in that world.

Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly-so.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2684 on: August 01, 2018, 09:38:37 PM

I loved The Scar! Probably my favorite of the novels Mieville wrote in that world.

It has steam-punk elements and nasty, nasty science fiction. I hope they NEVER attempt to make a movie out of it. CM's prose is too dense. My spouse listened to his work as a book-on-tape (she struggled to keep it organized).

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2685 on: August 11, 2018, 01:56:11 AM
Adjustment Day - Chuck Pahlaniuk. One of the best dystopian novels I've ever read.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2686 on: February 01, 2019, 03:18:03 AM
Kevin Hearne Tricked (Iron druid #6)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2687 on: May 28, 2019, 12:06:03 AM
Oh man, OK. So I just finished Break the Bodies, Haunt the Bones by Micah Dean Hicks.  It's his first novel and a hell of a debut!

It's basically about a failing town that's overrun by ghosts, some of whom "possess" residents and control them or imbue them with unusual abilities or qualities against their will. Something happens that puts the town's main place of employment in jeopardy, causing agitation amongst both the populace and the ghosts. And as one can imagine it's rarely a good thing when the spirits are restless...

Anyway, fantastic. Great ending too.

It happens to be one of two first-novel fantasies I have out from the library. This one is contemporary fantasy set in essentially "the real world," the other is a Game of Thrones-type universe with swords, foul magic, conspiracies, squires, and Failed Heroes Trying to Do The Right Thing, etc. "Break the Bodies" really works - the other is ... not too good. I was just thinking, I wonder if "Break's" more original setting helped it come together more successfully, if the other book suffered from its high fantasy-type setting and it just became too easy to indulge in traditional tropes. Anyway, it was interesting to me the dichotomy of reading these two books at the same time (I'm not going to finish the other one, I don't think).

But! Check this one out for sure!!

kurniadimartin

• Palmer
    • Instagram
Reply #2688 on: August 28, 2019, 05:15:07 AM
Just finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick.

It's an awesome book. Maybe this is biased, because I basically love most of the thing the guy wrote, but I like how the concept works and the horror about not being able to distinguish between imagination and reality. Makes you think about life.

Real recommended.  ;)

IJzerhans

• Extern
Reply #2689 on: August 31, 2019, 09:33:00 PM
Just finished 'Carnival' by Elizabeth Bear. Now onto 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolfe  ;D

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2690 on: November 20, 2019, 08:44:03 PM
Listening to the audiobook of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive Series. An amazing 148 hours of delightful story telling!

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #2691 on: November 22, 2019, 03:49:22 AM
I just finished This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone. It was amazing! Part epistolary, part narrative, wild and wonderful SFF.

Earlier this fall, I was really struck by The Outside by Ada Hoffmann. AIs have turned into gods that rule humanity, but there are odd breaches in reality that they are having trouble handling. An "angel"/messenger drafts a neuroatypical genius to investigate. Intriguing, creepy and in the end, very satisfying.

TMLN

• Extern
Reply #2692 on: May 10, 2022, 08:56:01 AM
Just down loaded Strange Religion anthology - really looking forward to it.  Just finished Above the Dreamless Dead: WWl Poetry as Comics editd by Chris Duffy

Read Stack includes:
Phenomenomix byt Hunt Emerson
Granville Integral by Bryan Talbot
Octavia's Brood edited by Andrienne Maree Brown & Walidah Imarisha