Author Topic: picture association  (Read 1212897 times)

Zathras

Reply #900 on: June 13, 2009, 09:24:39 PM
"Tear down this wall"

You're welcome

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #901 on: June 13, 2009, 11:32:55 PM

to appease Zorag and his skipped post...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:54:51 AM by lowky »

Zathras

Reply #902 on: June 14, 2009, 12:00:06 AM
I don't get it, and wasn't that picture used already?

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #903 on: June 14, 2009, 12:28:33 AM
I don't get it, and wasn't that picture used already?

I don't remember seeing it before, but look how much the euro women pulled her thong up, now look again at the magnet guys

Zathras

Reply #904 on: June 14, 2009, 01:05:54 AM
So my entry was passed, got it.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #905 on: June 14, 2009, 01:49:43 AM
actually your post didn't show when i posted mine.  I will correct this.

Zathras

Reply #906 on: June 14, 2009, 03:28:21 AM
Lol, it's ok, I'm used to being ignored!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #907 on: June 14, 2009, 03:38:51 AM

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Zathras

Reply #908 on: June 14, 2009, 05:07:25 AM

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #909 on: June 14, 2009, 06:22:29 AM

Russell Nash

Reply #910 on: June 14, 2009, 10:06:03 AM
"Tear down this wall"

You're welcome

The Republican daydream that it was Reagan playing tough that brought down the wall is laughable.  Tough militaristic posing helped keep the wall in place for longer than it would have been otherwise.  It was only once Gorbechov really got assurances that the West didn't want any of the Eastern Bloc that he started to loosen his grip.  The final opening of the Berlin Wall was actually triggered by a mistake made in a press release by the East German foreign minister.

Twins

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #911 on: June 14, 2009, 10:23:26 AM

Russell Nash

Reply #912 on: June 14, 2009, 10:48:09 AM

lowky

• Hipparch

Russell Nash

Reply #914 on: June 14, 2009, 01:15:18 PM

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #915 on: June 14, 2009, 02:05:00 PM

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #916 on: June 14, 2009, 03:51:49 PM

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #917 on: June 14, 2009, 04:06:26 PM

"Tear down this wall"

You're welcome

The Republican daydream that it was Reagan playing tough that brought down the wall is laughable.  Tough militaristic posing helped keep the wall in place for longer than it would have been otherwise.  It was only once Gorbechov really got assurances that the West didn't want any of the Eastern Bloc that he started to loosen his grip.  The final opening of the Berlin Wall was actually triggered by a mistake made in a press release by the East German foreign minister.

Oh c'mon Russell, if a Democrat had said it, you'd be singing their praises.  ;D

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Russell Nash

Reply #918 on: June 14, 2009, 06:15:34 PM

"Tear down this wall"

You're welcome

Oh c'mon Russell, if a Democrat had said it, you'd be singing their praises.  ;D

Has nothing to do with Democrat or Republican.  It has to do with history.  Lots of documents from the Stasi (East Germany spy agency) were released after the Re-unification.  Because of the West's posturing and threatening stances many of the Soviet officials were pushing for the East to start a war before they couldn't do it anymore.  If they hadn't gone totally bankrupt, we'd still have the wall and the Warsaw Pact. 

The Wall was opened because thousands of people crowded the checkpoints after hearing the Foreign Minister's gaff.  The guards there didn't know what to do and opened the gates before they got crushed under the weight of the crowds.  Once the people were through there was just no way to stop it. 

Moscow looked at what it would take to shut everything down again and realized they just didn't have the resources to do it. 

I'm not a Democrat.  I listen to what the folks say and listen to the quality of the argument.  You can normally tell who has the better idea from that.

Example:  In the energy debate windmill folks want tax breaks, so that they can write off the cost of the windmills as an operating expense as opposed to amortizing them over the expected life of the windmill.  This basically makes it so that the companies get a huge tax advantage that year, but they're still putting up the money themselves. 

The nuke folks want hundreds of millions in unsecured loans from the government.  If the company building the reactor goes broke, the government gets nothing back.  This is what they did in the 70's.  Companies were set up to build the reactors, they borrow the money, and they went broke.  They never paid the money back.  The companies who sold the reactors made a fortune in budget overruns. 

The nuke folks say windmills can't work financially, but the windmill folks are the ones who are willing to do it without government money.  That tells you the nukers are full of shit.

This has been the quality of the Republican's arguments for about 15 years.  That's why I sound like a Democrat.  I criticize the Dems too, but Republicans never seem to remember that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:30:39 PM by Russell Nash »

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #919 on: June 14, 2009, 06:17:46 PM

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #920 on: June 14, 2009, 07:29:13 PM
took us about 900 posts before we started repeating past associations.  it would be an interesting social experiment, finding out how long it takes for free associations to start repeating themselves in different situations.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #921 on: June 14, 2009, 08:07:29 PM
I didn't remember if I did the tiger bunny before... still don't!   :D
It's far too many old posts to look through.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #922 on: June 14, 2009, 08:19:25 PM
dunno if it was you but we definitely went from tiger to tiger bunny.

Russell Nash

Reply #923 on: June 14, 2009, 08:34:20 PM
took us about 900 posts before we started repeating past associations.  it would be an interesting social experiment, finding out how long it takes for free associations to start repeating themselves in different situations.

We just had our third posting of Pink Floyd's The Wall.  The first two were the identical picture and that happened way back near post 200 or so.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:28:55 PM by Russell Nash »

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #924 on: June 14, 2009, 08:37:25 PM
yeah, that didn't take long, it was a different association tho.  same pic, different association.