Author Topic: Backpacking through fantasyland  (Read 5012 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: May 02, 2009, 06:25:21 AM
Tor.com posted this fun article the other day. In summary: if you were told in a half hour you would be whisked off to SomeFantasyland, what would you throw in your backpack to bring?

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=25752

:D

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 07:30:37 AM
Nikon FM2n with 35mm ƒ/2 and 105mm ƒ/2.5, however many rolls of B&W I have in the apartment (Edit to add: 11) (and probably whatever is in overpriced stock at the Ritz Photo on B'way), the spare powder developer and fix (the previous would all fit in my photographer's vest, the following would be in that and my messenger bag), pictures of girlfriend, salt, sugar, cumin, tarragon, turmeric, matches, notebooks (reporter's and regular), pens, Macbeth, Paradise Lost, US Constitution & Declaration of Independence & Articles of Confederation pocket edition, passport, rice, kitchen knife, scissors, bowl, fork and spoon, the very small pot and lid, binder with empty negative holders, measuring cup, duct tape, thread and needles.

Only thing I don't have that I'd like to is a lifestraw, but they're awaiting FDA approval. Well, that and the chance to get a proper party together.

Note: Someone may attempt to trip me up by asking where I'll get batteries for the camera — the camera is entirely mechanical. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:43:51 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:28:52 PM
I'd probably take a copy of <B>The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones with me to help me identify some of the dangers I'm going to face, such as:
'"Princesses come in two main kinds:
1 Wimps.
2 Spirited and wilful. A spirited princess will be detectable by the scattering of freckles across the bridge of her somewhat tiptilted nose. Spirited Princesses often disguises themselves as boys and invariably marry commoners of sterling worth. With surprising frequency these commoners turn out to be long-lost heirs to Kingdoms (see Princes)."'
and how you can always have a sense of being watched when an assassin is around and, thus warned, you can kill him easily.

AliceNred

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:48:36 PM
My traveling cloak, dagger, sensible shoes, camera, dagger, matches, plastic shinny beads for trading, first aid kit, toilet paper, chocolate, needle and thread, clothes line for rope, tea, cup, hard candies, bars of soap, a solar chargeable iPod, Pratchett's following suitcase with changes of clothing. And my cat.

Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:28:07 PM
snip..

toilet paper, chocolate

Very important nessesities.  I like the way you think

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Gallagher

• Extern
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:53:26 AM
The 10 Essentials:
1. Sunglasses        2. Map
3. Compass           4. Knife
5. Fire Source        6. Extra Clothes
7. Extra Food         8. Can't Remember
9. Can't Remember  10. Still at a loss to remeber.

Scratch 1, 2 and 3 make up new ones for 8, 9 and 10
1. A sturdy cloak / amazing towel                            8. Old-Fashioned Pocket Telescope
2. A Spear for self-defense hunting and walking staff   9. Sturdy Journal and Writing Implements
3. A homemade backpack                                       10. A magical ball of unending golden yarn

"Be Normal and the Crowd Will Accept You.
 Be Deranged and They Will Make You Their Leader."
 (Titus)