Poll

Choose your favorite three Twitter stories:

I'll never forget our first date. A perfect night, alone on lover's lane. Her eyes, blue. Her hair blond. Her lips, red, just like my knife.                                                                                                                  
8 (18.6%)
Cape billowing, he dove from the window towards the fleeing villains, realising too late that this time his dream would be the death of him.                                                                                                                  
2 (4.7%)
Rose-colored glasses hide her sins from my eyes. It’s not easy to look at a killer’s soul. I lift the glasses reluctantly, having no choice.                                                                                                              
3 (7%)
Thankfully, his arm was under warranty, otherwise it would’ve been another $200 he couldn’t afford. The problem now was how to get to work.                                                                                                                
3 (7%)
My precious cargo safely sleeping in my holds, I soar through the void. There! A new home. "Let there be light!" Adam and Lilith awaken.                                                                                                            
4 (9.3%)
The whole room shakes. Vials shatter, books tumble, the spell is ruined. All that time, all that money. I sigh. Earthquake? No. "Squonk!"                                                                                                            
4 (9.3%)
How do we get our Proper Names, Papa? ~ We name you for the first thing you point and laugh at as a baby. Why do you ask, Dog-Sniffing-Butt?                                                                                                                  
2 (4.7%)
He sent the nuclear bomb back in time. Little did he know that the monsters were more accuratley radiation mutants.                                                                                                                                            
3 (7%)
The indestructible robot I built wants to kill me. It won’t stop until it succeeds. I should have designed an OFF button.                                                                                                                                    
4 (9.3%)
My love, you know the real me. My hopes, dreams, strengths, and weaknesses. But for once I’d like to touch your twelve-sided die.                                                                                                                            
5 (11.6%)
I never realized.  FTL travel makes you speak with slow Shatnerian pauses.  Who knew? And, my God, the smarm, the smarm.                                                                                                              
5 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 20, 2009, 02:09:18 AM

Author Topic: ZARGA IV Poll: Swamp's Top Ten - Now You decide the winner  (Read 23655 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Okay here is the Top Ten List, plus one of my own stories, selected by Zorag.  Turns out my judging was fairly simple with the low number of submissions, and a couple were eliminated because they exceeded the character count.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
I've made my votes. I think a winner has already emerged.

Swamp

• Hipparch
I've made my votes. I think a winner has already emerged.

You never know; however, if the trend continues, I think you're right.  And it would be a worthy winner (no, it's not mine).  There is also a 3-way tie for 2nd place.

Zathras

Feel free to pick a few and guess who wrote them.  I am the only one who knows who all the authors are.  Don't pick so many that it's obvious which ones you wrote are.  You can also pick a few and list forumites who definitely did not write them. 

I waited to do this until most of the voting has been done.

Zathras

I think it would be fun to have an "editor's choice".  I don't want to put any pressure on them to reveal their selection, though. 

Swamp

• Hipparch
I'm guessing that BlairHippo (Pete Butler) wrote the Squonk story.  I'm know the other two stories that came with it, so I will stop there.

Zathras

Instead of just bumping this, I'd like to point out that voting is almost over, and all 3 of my choices are in the top 10!

Swamp

• Hipparch
36 hours left to vote

Zathras

Congratulations to the winner, ZORAG!!!

Portrait in Flesh had some late votes to tie both of his entries for 2nd and 3rd.

Other entries by me:  The Adam and Lillith story and the Squonk story.  I was the only person who knew the identities of all the authors.  Later, when my brain isn't fried, I'll post the rest of the stories, and their authors.  Unless you guys beat me to it.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Congratulations ZORAG!  I think your winning story is deserving of the prize.  I know I voted for it.  I also voted for mine which is the indestructable robot story.  I'm glad it got a few votes.  I will get in touce with Ben and Alasdair about the story being read on Pseudopod.

Zathras

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 02:25:57 PM
I voted for the winner, my Squonk story and the Indestructible Robot story.  Wasn't just voting for myself on those, they were my favorite stories.

Zathras

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 04:19:18 PM
Swamp, can you post the remaining stories?  We can let people take credit as they wish.

Portrait in Flesh, I will need your shipping info.  The deal with ZARGA is that if I win, the runner up gets a disc from poddisc.com.  Go over there and see what you like.

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 09:04:16 PM
Portrait in Flesh,

If for some reason you don't trust that weirdo with you shipping info, we can set something up with poddisc.  I don't think it's necessary, but Zorag does tend to scare some folks.

Zathras

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 09:47:21 PM
Whoops, forgot that part, it's been so long since I had to ship a disc out.

Alas, ZARGA III will remain an open contest.   :'(

I have ZARGA V planned out, but I am making sure I don't get in trouble with it first...

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 11:25:12 PM
Woo-hoo!  Sloppy seconds!

Wait, that didn't come out right.

The #1 pick rightfully won, and although I didn't vote...OW! stop hitting!...it's one I would've picked.

Portrait in Flesh,

If for some reason you don't trust that weirdo with you shipping info, we can set something up with poddisc.  I don't think it's necessary, but Zorag does tend to scare some folks.

The subdivision I live in is called Green Acres.  Most of my fear packed up and moved out long ago.

I'll check out poddisc and see what catches my beady little eye.   :)

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 11:26:49 PM
Here are the other stories that did not make the top 10:

dis James Harland, I fnd brkn ph. fyr almst 2 my fl%r. pls. gf's adr kty@555.com pls. I nvr shudve cum hre. please, tell her that I love her
--

She likened the bone stretching agony engulfing her body to an unnatural childbirth, howling in pain as the full moon looked down uncaringly. (disqualified, over 140 characters)
--

You’d be a cranky warrior woman too if you had to fight while maintaining perfect hair and make-up. And let’s not mention the bikini line, OK? (disqualified, over 140 characters)

My other 2 stories:

The graveyard is full tonight. Why am I here? Ghouls leer at me with horrid grins. Why do they mock? Alas, now I see; I am also dead.
--

The troll who lives in my crawl space helped data wire my house. Why complain to my HOA? He’s got skills. You should see his MySpace page.

Zathras

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 11:39:25 PM
I had a hard time choosing which of Swamp's stories to include.  Does anyone think one of her other stores is better?

::)

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 04:44:25 PM
* Portrait in Flesh shakes fist at the uncaring skies.

Curse my inability to count!  I thought I had enough fingers and toes...

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 11:28:40 PM
Portrait in Flesh, I will need your shipping info.  The deal with ZARGA is that if I win, the runner up gets a disc from poddisc.com.  Go over there and see what you like.

Have it bathed and perfumed and brought to my chamber.  So that I may dally to my heart's content.

izzardfan

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 08:22:48 PM
Here are the other stories that did not make the top 10:

dis James Harland, I fnd brkn ph. fyr almst 2 my fl%r. pls. gf's adr kty@555.com pls. I nvr shudve cum hre. please, tell her that I love her
--

Um, I didn't quite get this one.

She likened the bone stretching agony engulfing her body to an unnatural childbirth, howling in pain as the full moon looked down uncaringly. (disqualified, over 140 characters)
--

You’d be a cranky warrior woman too if you had to fight while maintaining perfect hair and make-up. And let’s not mention the bikini line, OK? (disqualified, over 140 characters)

My other 2 stories:

The graveyard is full tonight. Why am I here? Ghouls leer at me with horrid grins. Why do they mock? Alas, now I see; I am also dead.
--

The troll who lives in my crawl space helped data wire my house. Why complain to my HOA? He’s got skills. You should see his MySpace page.

I loved all these, especially the last.  As to whether or not I'd have voted for one of them more than the others, I don't know.

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:38 PM
The Disc has arrived.

Huzzah!   :D