Author Topic: PodCastle Miniature 19: Cask of Amontillado  (Read 22012 times)

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 09:58:16 PM
Awesome reading.

Ok I have to say something here.  I love Cheyenne Wright's readings beyond all reason.  Just thinking about him reading a story makes me swoon.  And I love this story deeply.

Thus I thought this would be a story I would love and pet and call george and listen to over and over again.

This did not turn out to be the case.

I almost could not listen to it once through because of the freaky-ass pronunciation of "Amontillado" as "Amontialdo".  I know this is totally petty, but it was incredibly distracting.  I am so sad.   :( 

I still love PC and Poe and Wright's readings, but this one fared poorly under the strain of my heightened expectations.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 10:07:26 PM
Thus I thought this would be a story I would love and pet and call george and listen to over and over again.

:D :D :D :D :D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 08:57:10 PM
is Fortunato's offense real or imagined?

To me, the ambiguity is what makes this story great!  Me, I strongly suspect that Montressor is simply insane, killing a friend over something that never happened (or perhaps something very minor), much like in the Tell-Tale Heart the guy butchers his roommate over an imagined evil eye.  It's told from Montressor's point of view, and insane people generally don't realize they're insane.  If the story gave substantial evidence that Fortunado had wronged him that might convince me that he is sane and simply vengeful, but by leaving that out intentionally it leaves it up to the reader to decide.  The fact that he's recalling this 50 years later leads me to guess that he experiences moments of clarity when he realizes what he's done and his conscience nags him.

I've got to echo Anarkey here.  I love Cheyenne Wright's readings very much, and his voice is GREAT for a story like this, but the mispronunciation of Amontillado drove me nuts.  It would've been better if he had mispronounced it phonetically, by giving the l's an English sound with reversing the order of the "L" and "A" sounds.  And if it were an unimportant word, I'd forget about it quickly, but it was a very important wrod:  it was in the title, was used a bajillion times in the story, and was the driving motivation for one of the two characters.  So I was pretty bummed by it.

Also, not really sure where the fantasy is in this story, but I'm not really complaining.  I'd love to hear more Poe, especially The Telltale Heart.