Author Topic: Pedal Powered spacecraft story??  (Read 2521 times)

Beowulf Shaeffer

• Extern
on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:50 PM
sorry to bother you with this, but I have been trying to track down a sci fi short story.  I think it is by Larry Niven, but my Google searches are coming up empty.  In the story there are spacecraft powered by pedaling.  The pedaling adds energy and accelerates the craft forward.  In a race, the 'cyclists' accelerate towards their goal, and then at halfway they turn around and accelerate in the direction opposite to their motion, so they stop at the finish line.

I just cannot seem to find the story, although I recall reading it at some point.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am a Physics professor and want to use this in the classroom.

It's not in Neutron Star... and I don't think it's in Tales of Known Space

Cheers

BS

PS  Longtime listener, first time poster.  I listen while running... just did my first marathon (in Feb) and I feel awesome.

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:37:32 PM
I think I might have found it.
Endurance Racer  by Phillip Nolte.

I only skimmed through it but it does have the inverse stop you wanted.  It was published in Quanta magazine in the December 1990 issue.

I hope this helps, also congratulations on your marathon run.

Beowulf Shaeffer

• Extern
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:28:16 PM
Thanks!  I just read Endurance Racer, and it is not the story I recall, but something like I had in my mind.  Cool story.

Maybe what I recall reading was some substory in a novel or something?