Author Topic: EP002: Feng Burger  (Read 7180 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 15, 2009, 08:09:08 AM
EP002: Feng Burger

By John Aegard.
Read by Stephen Eley.

The Chinese are particular about their designs, and for good reason. A design with good feng shui — one that satisfies the universe’s sense of metaphor — attracts chi, the energy that raises mountains and pushes rivers and draws good fortune near and keeps tax collectors far away. Whether by accident or design, no one can say, but the Burger Pods have potent feng shui. Where normal men would see nothing but gleaming stainless-steel cabinets and a charbroiling grill, a feng shui practitioner would see arms and hands, cradling the Burger Pod’s occupant and bathing her in chi.

Rated PG. Contains sexual innuendo, mild profanity, and food service employees slacking off.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:16:46 PM
I liked this one a lot, but it's been over 2 years since I've heard it.  Maybe I should listen to it again.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 02:43:41 AM
just listened to this one, its got some pretty good ideas, like supernatural currency that can be traded for materials or even magic.  Mis communication between humans and spirits resulting in bad food, I mean who assumes any one likes to eat eyeballs and intestines just because they aren't quite human? 

lol, it was a good lil story  :)

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 05:52:55 AM
just listened to this one, its got some pretty good ideas, like supernatural currency that can be traded for materials or even magic.  Mis communication between humans and spirits resulting in bad food, I mean who assumes any one likes to eat eyeballs and intestines just because they aren't quite human? 

lol, it was a good lil story  :)
I think you're posting to the wrong thread; that sounds like "Hell Notes" that you just described.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:19:45 AM
lol your right, ignore what i said

hell notes ftw  :)

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

DaveNJ

• Extern
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:54:21 PM
Love this one. Feng Burger makes me worry about the future of computer simulation technology from a human behavior standpoint.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:56:52 PM
Apparently mass-produced fast food is the key to nirvana.  :)  This was fun!  The romance reminded me of a chatroom romance where both parties may be obscuring details about who they are and what they look like.  I liked the open ending, leaving us to wonder if they're all dead or if they've transcended to another plane.  And the image of the canyon strewn with burger pods filled with rotting corpses was quite a vivid one!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:03:15 PM
Just worth noting that I bought my Mom the EP compilation discs to help ease her commute, and this story was a huge hit.  She listened to it four or five times, I think.

So there it is.  "Feng Burger" has Scattercat's Mom's Seal of Approval.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 05:40:54 PM
Just worth noting that I bought my Mom the EP compilation discs to help ease her commute, and this story was a huge hit.  She listened to it four or five times, I think.

So there it is.  "Feng Burger" has Scattercat's Mom's Seal of Approval.

That begs for some kind of visual "seal" to go with the statement.  :)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:07:19 PM
Starting from the beginning is weird. I'm not sure whether I miss the robotic introducing voice. However, not hearing it is disconcerting.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”