Author Topic: EP199: Elvis in the Attic  (Read 18760 times)

Pinwheel

• Extern
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 03:06:18 PM
My only comment... or question, i suppose, is regarding the diner. I'm assuming it was spelled T-U-P-E-L-O? If so, the pronunciation was way off, but it made me chuckle. Elvis was born in Tupelo, my hometown and where i've recently moved back to (sigh). It's pronounced TUE-pell-oh (or TOO-pell-oh, depending on if you grew up there or moved there :) ), and not too-PEE-lo... that is, if anyone, in fact, actually cares, which is probably doubtful... i did like the word Elvii...

Wow, I didn't even recognize the word as Tupelo.  Heh.  Anyway, I thought this story was funny and sweet. 

I lived in Memphis for a few years and worked at the backpackers' hostel, and we used the word Elvii all the time.  (you had to.)  "Elvis is everywhere" is a local axiom, and my friends and I were always playing spot-the-Elvis-reference in movies and TV shows. 

So I loved this story because it really captures that city's relationship with its mascot.  Elvis can be a pest there unless you learn to love him. 

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:35:43 PM by Pinwheel »

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 07:03:56 PM
"I am the city's foremost collector of velvet Elvii."

"Elvii?"

"I could call them Elvises, but if I say that word too often I start muttering about hobbits and calling things 'my Precious.'"

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 08:19:24 PM
I haven't read this story, but I first heard "Elvii" as a term for multiple Elvises back in 1985 in Scott Saavedra's comic IT'S SCIENCE!: WITH DR. RADIUM.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 04:07:17 AM
I've been fond of creating weird plurals like that ever since Eric and Lyle Menendez murdered their parents and some talk radio people were calling them "The Menendae/Menendii" (they pronounced it "Menen-die".)

Most notable: the wife and I refer to our favorite vegetable as "asparagae" (pron. "aspara-guy").

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 01:40:29 PM
This one was cute.  Not substantial but a fun bit of story.

I hadn't realized that there was a whole subgenre for mysteriously mass-cloned celebrity lookalikes until I came to Escape Artists, between Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, and Albert Einstein.

I had heard the word Elvi before.  I think it was a movie where two of the main characters, to escape some other fate, dress up and join a jump with The Flying Elvi, a group of skydiving Elvis impersonators.  3000 Miles to Graceland, maybe?

And apparently the Flying Elvi are an actual group:
http://www.flyingelvi.com/home.html

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 12:35:48 AM
I went on a road trip to Graceland with the narrator, so the reading seemed perfectly suited to me. I probably have photos around somewhere. Anyone know if the diner's an actual place? The internet seems to imply that it doesn't. I would totally go there on my next road trip, as Memphis is on the short list since they wife hasn't been before.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”