Author Topic: PC052: The Nalendar  (Read 10599 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Re: PC052: The Nalendar
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
Kind of late catching up but add me to the list of people who really enjoyed this story. (Go Ann.) Everything about the blood sacrifices and the how infuriated the skink was that Umri's suitor/captor thought he could control the skink by his pitiful sacrifices, right after the skink complained about how awful they were. Funny stuff.

And another great reading by MK Hobson.

(And also thanks to Anarkey for the other Ann Leckie god stories. I'm looking forward to checking those out!)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
I think we should have more Ann Leckie stories. I might start a petition.

Just sayin'!

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 12:51:42 AM »
For people who really liked the worldbuilding, I'd recommend the other stories in this setting: Marsh Gods, The God of Au, The Snake's Wife

Hey, I knew this story sounded familiar.  I had read "Marsh Gods" a while ago, and even though I knew at the time that Ann Leckie had written it, I didn't put the two together until I read this comment thread.  I kept having this nagging feeling that I had read "The Nalander" before, but the plot and characters were all new.

As for this story, it was quite a delight.  There was a rich texture and history as a backdrop, but it didn't get in the way of the fun and adventure.  The dynamics and conversations between the characters was fresh and exciting as well.

Another thing that stuck in my head was the image of the skink god.  However, despite M.K. Hobson's performance of the little god's voice, I couldn't get the image and voice of the Geico gecko out of my mind.  I know that skinks and geckos are different animals, but hey, chalk one up for good advertizing, I guess.  It didn't ruin the story for me; in fact, it made it all the more fun.

Skink                                     Geico gecko
Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »
I liked this one pretty well, though it was similar in concept to Small Gods.  That's not a bad comparison as that is easily my favorite of Pratchett's Discworld series (with Interesting Times as second, and Thief of Time as a third).

I hadn't realized until reading the comments thread that this was the same world as Marsh Gods, but it certainly makes sense.  I liked the little skink god--can I have one?

The one thing I didn't undertand, though it didn't bother me overly much, is how the skink lost his big power?  I got that he made promises he couldn't keep, but was that to do with the promise about the hand and the boundaries of the kingdom?  I didn't quite make a connection there, but I got the impression that all the clues were there, I just missed something.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads up in the intro of the most recent story. I stopped that one right there and went back into the archives to pull the prior episodes out so I could listen to them relatively close in succession. I'm still working on finishing the archives, but I've been suffering from some audiobook intrusion.

I pictured him more like this, since I recall the detail mentioned that he had a blue tail.

I like skinks a lot. They hang out near the garage and eat crickets and spiders and other things I'd prefer to have eaten before they make it past the door.

This story is good stuff. I'll make sure the wife listens to it, since she recently got excited about Ann's work when she read the excerpt for Ancillary Sword. Thanks for running all of these.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »
 ;D

Actually, I really ought to go back to those two and relisten to them myself!

Speaking of which, Fenrix - did you ever hear Hesperia and Glory? One of my favorite EA stories I had nothing to do with :D

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 03:46:05 PM »

;D

Actually, I really ought to go back to those two and relisten to them myself!

Speaking of which, Fenrix - did you ever hear Hesperia and Glory? One of my favorite EA stories I had nothing to do with :D

I have not, thanks for the tip. I'll save that one for the road trip coming up and have it be a surprise for us both. My gap on PodCastle back catalog is only about 50 stories. My EP gap is YEARS.
All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
Also, it's cute to see old posts I made thanking Anna for being smart and praising Ann Leckie.

Some things never change :)