Author Topic: EP Flash: Off Base  (Read 19034 times)

Russell Nash

on: May 19, 2009, 09:38:53 AM
EP Flash: Off Base

By Stevens R. Miller.
Read by Steve Anderson.

Her boyfriend put a slim hand to his forehead, as though shielding his eyes from sunlight, even though the sun had set some minutes before. Where the girl had pointed was a bright star, moving east.

Rated PG. for teenagers of the future.

Listen to this EP Flash!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:41:15 PM by Russell Nash »

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:22:29 PM
The genre twist was great. Took a second to get it, but then... "aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh".

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Rail16

• Extern
    • Rail 16 Photography
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 03:13:55 PM
not bad for a flash piece but the 'twist' felt stolen from Battlefield Earth

eytanz

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:47:51 PM
Heh. Fun and short.

not bad for a flash piece but the 'twist' felt stolen from Battlefield Earth

I didn't read/see Battlefield Earth, but, while I think the twist would have been transformed from cute to incredibly lame in a longer piece of fiction.

Rail16

• Extern
    • Rail 16 Photography
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 04:11:52 PM
I didn't read/see Battlefield Earth, but, while I think the twist would have been transformed from cute to incredibly lame in a longer piece of fiction.
the book doesn't rely on the number system as a 'twist' it's actually an integral & logical plot device of the story.

and the book compared to the movie is not is very fare to the book.  the book is actually a very entertaining, pure scifi read.  and from what i do know is that the book isn't wholly written by l ron, the same that the mission earth series is ghost written by other folks.

if you ever have a 6 month med cruise on board an aircraft carrier you will find many varied books to read regardless their genre or author.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:39:17 AM
Neat story.  Loved it.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Cerebrilith

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:32:22 AM
Cute story.  I enjoyed it.

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 02:20:07 PM
Enjoyed it.  Lots of story, few words.  Well done. 

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 10:27:59 AM
Very amusing once it clicked :) Remember the fingers! ;D

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:29:33 PM

Yeah, and for me the amusement lasted until that Fridge Logic moment about 5 seconds later, when I decided that if they're using English words for numbers, they'd still have the same numeric values.

No matter. It was still a hoot, even after it collapsed under the weight of it's own logic.  ;D

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:12:40 PM
the book doesn't rely on the number system as a 'twist' it's actually an integral & logical plot device of the story.

and the book compared to the movie is not is very fare to the book.  the book is actually a very entertaining, pure scifi read.  and from what i do know is that the book isn't wholly written by l ron, the same that the mission earth series is ghost written by other folks.

I love Battlefield Earth (the book, not that execrable Off-Source film disaster).  And I believe Hubbard did write the novel; not sure about Mission Earth though (which was a fun read for the first seven or eight books, before the narrator switch).

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Rail16

• Extern
    • Rail 16 Photography
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 02:23:19 PM
I love Battlefield Earth (the book, not that execrable Off-Source film disaster).  And I believe Hubbard did write the novel; not sure about Mission Earth though (which was a fun read for the first seven or eight books, before the narrator switch).

it is a great book and has a nice epic feel to it.

i never got a chance to finish mission earth, think i only made it through the first 5 books and now i cannot find copies anywhere so that i can reread and finish the series.  i've even looked in the used book store with no luck.

though i'm very happy i do have a hardcover copy of the Final Blackout.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 03:09:51 PM
i never got a chance to finish mission earth, think i only made it through the first 5 books and now i cannot find copies anywhere so that i can reread and finish the series.  i've even looked in the used book store with no luck.[/url].

Try thrift stores like Goodwill or Salivation Army.  I got the whole set of paperbacks dirt cheap that way (though it took me three or four stores to get all ten).

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 02:44:47 AM
cute, very well put together. I liked this!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 08:33:20 AM
Just goes to show you that the devil really is in the details.

Zathras

Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 02:38:59 PM

Been wanting to use that in the pic thread.

I liked this one.  I probably liked it more because my d.a. brother-in-law wouldn't get it.

stevensrmiller

• Extern
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 12:08:21 AM

Yeah, and for me the amusement lasted until that Fridge Logic moment about 5 seconds later, when I decided that if they're using English words for numbers, they'd still have the same numeric values.

No matter. It was still a hoot, even after it collapsed under the weight of it's own logic.  ;D

Glad you liked it, Planish. (I just discovered the forums today; thanks to all who have commented here.)

The ground controller says "two three dot five." I hoped this would be ambiguous as to base, as opposed to his saying, "twenty-three point five."  Leastways, that's how my math teacher taught us to speak numbers in non-decimal bases. Did I get that wrong?

stevensrmiller

• Extern
Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 12:13:09 AM
Enjoyed it.  Lots of story, few words.  Well done. 

Thanks, Kevin! You may not believe this, but this is the long version of the story. Its original appearance was on the Flashshot mailing list. They have a maximum of 100 words.

stevensrmiller

• Extern
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 02:08:28 AM

I liked this one.  I probably liked it more because my d.a. brother-in-law wouldn't get it.

Heh! I get you, Zorag.  This was definitely a story for our particular family. But don't be so sure your brother-in-law won't get it. I'm a lawyer too.

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 10:16:23 AM

Heh! I get you, Zorag.  This was definitely a story for our particular family. But don't be so sure your brother-in-law won't get it. I'm a lawyer too.

We'll try not to hold that against you.  Although I admit it will be tough.

stevensrmiller

• Extern
Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 01:48:03 PM

I'm a lawyer too.

We'll try not to hold that against you.  Although I admit it will be tough.

It ain't all bad. Another story of mine, "Choice of Laws" (Leading Edge #46, Oct. 2003, www.leadingedgemagazine.com), was based on a legal question arising within an estate dispute (which ends up being decided by an entirely different kind of law).

One must work with the material one has at hand...

Russell Nash

Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 06:48:27 PM

That's what I said to my wife when she asked why I built the headboard of our bed out of black leather and chains.  She didn't buy it.

Rain

• Matross
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 03:02:33 PM
I didnt really get the story, what did the people lacking a finger have to do with the ship burning up?

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:50 PM
I didnt really get the story, what did the people lacking a finger have to do with the ship burning up?

Our math is base ten, because humans have ten fingers.  They have eight fingers, so their math is base eight.  (I don't remember the exact numbers, but…)  The pilot thought the entry angle should be 17 or so.  He was told it was 23.  At the last second he realizes 23 base 8 is 19.  19 degrees was the correct angle.  Since he's going 23 degrees, he's going to fast and the extra atmospheric friction burns up his ship. 

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 09:32:23 AM
Hey.
Moderator - Do we permit puns in this forum?

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Russell Nash

Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 12:09:36 PM
Hey.
Moderator - Do we permit puns in this forum?

It has at times been almost encouraged.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 02:53:05 PM
This was a fun story, though a few seconds after the punchline I also wondered why they didn't translate the number into decimal base when translating everything else into English.  But no matter.

And an interesting sub-topic:  Did you know that ALL numbering systems are really base 10?  It sounds wrong on first read, but it's true!!  Think about it!

eytanz

Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 03:54:10 PM
And an interesting sub-topic:  Did you know that ALL numbering systems are really base 10?  It sounds wrong on first read, but it's true!!  Think about it!

Not true; the string "10" is meaningless in base 1.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 03:59:42 PM

But base 1 itself is meaningless.  You can't have a number system with only a single digit.  Well, you can, but it's not very useful.  "I have 0 hamburgers" could mean that you have no hamburgers or millions of hamburgers, there's no information contained in the number "0".  Sort of like Smurf language (or Marflar).

eytanz

Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 04:03:34 PM

But base 1 itself is meaningless.  You can't have a number system with only a single digit.  Well, you can, but it's not very useful.  "I have 0 hamburgers" could mean that you have no hamburgers or millions of hamburgers, there's no information contained in the number "0".  Sort of like Smurf language (or Marflar).

Nonesense. Let me count from 1 to 10(decimal) in base 1 :

(or, alternatively, 0 00 000...)

Ok, so large numbers get quite long, but that doesn't make it useless. I'd argue that it's far more useful than base 126335745621, for example, as you'd run out of symbols before you can reach 2 digits in that base.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 04:16:40 PM
There are still two possible values of each digit: " " and "1", which still makes it binary, but represented in a slightly different way.  :)  To carry information it has to be at least base 2.

Just like counting on your fingers could be seen as the same binary counting system, but with a limit of ten digits.  Every finger has a value of "up" or "down".  The human way of finger-counting is not an efficient way of using 10 bits--if you counted in the more typical binary way then you could have 1024 possible values--but it is still binary.

In any case, I suppose I could have stated in the original statement that my assumption that all numbering systems are base 10 was the digits are counted by having the rightmost digit count from 0 to the maximum value, then reset to 0 and simultaneously incrementing the digit to the left of it, with 0's implied whenever there is blank space.  But that wouldn't be any fun to state everything so explicitly.  :)

eytanz

Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 04:33:02 PM
There are still two possible values of each digit: " " and "1", which still makes it binary, but represented in a slightly different way.  :)  To carry information it has to be at least base 2.

That's not true. Note that the unary system I proposed is limited - it cannot express 0. But it is a unary base system, and it does carry value. Note that if " " was really another symbol for "0", then "111 111 111" could be a single number, which it isn't.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 04:51:33 PM

That's not true. Note that the unary system I proposed is limited - it cannot express 0. But it is a unary base system, and it does carry value. Note that if " " was really another symbol for "0", then "111 111 111" could be a single number, which it isn't.

It isn't a single number because the counting system you've laid out limits the information storage, but it's not inherently unary.  Let's say I'm counting on the fingers of one hand, and I have "11 11"  (all fingers extended except my middle finger).  You could say that means twenty-seven (as it means in computer binary), or four (by counting the digits), or a two and then another two (by counting separate groups of digits as different numbers).  But all of those are simply based on different counting systems--in all cases, there is binary information stored. 

Likewise if I make a fist, extending no fingers, that means something even if there is no digit "0".  Hypothetically:
eytanz:  How many hamburgers do you have?
Unblinking:  I have no hamburgers.

Even though there is no way to represent zero with numerals in this case, the value "zero" is implied by the word "no".

*I'm having fun with this, a sure sign that I picked the right field by going into engineering, but this is only somewhat related to the story topic.  Perhaps we should find a different place to debate numbering systems?  :)  *

eytanz

Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 05:38:11 PM
It isn't a single number because the counting system you've laid out limits the information storage, but it's not inherently unary.  Let's say I'm counting on the fingers of one hand, and I have "11 11"  (all fingers extended except my middle finger).  You could say that means twenty-seven (as it means in computer binary), or four (by counting the digits), or a two and then another two (by counting separate groups of digits as different numbers).  But all of those are simply based on different counting systems--in all cases, there is binary information stored. 

Yes, in your example. But the point of my unary system is that you don't need to store any binary information. You can use it if you're only storing units. Your space in the middle finger plays absolutely no role in the maths. What you're doing is equivalent to me saying that the following two (base 10) numbers are different: 100 and 100, because one is black and one is red. But that's extraneous information, it plays no role in that math. All the 0/" " information you are describing is similarly incidental.

I'm not the person who came up with this concept. Here's the wikipedia page on unary numeral systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unary_numeral_system

(Note: I agree that this discussion could be happily split off, if the mods so wish)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 05:53:53 PM
Yes, in your example. But the point of my unary system is that you don't need to store any binary information. You can use it if you're only storing units. Your space in the middle finger plays absolutely no role in the maths. What you're doing is equivalent to me saying that the following two (base 10) numbers are different: 100 and 100, because one is black and one is red. But that's extraneous information, it plays no role in that math. All the 0/" " information you are describing is similarly incidental.

I'm not the person who came up with this concept. Here's the wikipedia page on unary numeral systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unary_numeral_system

(Note: I agree that this discussion could be happily split off, if the mods so wish)

I have heard of unary numeral systems, I just disagree in concept.  The lack of a "1" digit is still information of a sort even if it's not explicitly represented. 

But in any case, the original statement was only meant to refer to numeral systems in which each successive digit represents an order of magnitude increase above the digit next to it.  Such as the usual use of binary, octal, decimal, and hexadecimal.  All of these, and other numbering systems that only differ by number of possible digits, are base 10. 

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 03:49:22 PM

well, at first they probably did; but give it a few generations of child counting on there fingers, and they'd probably switch over ;)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 10:19:47 PM
In any case, I suppose I could have stated in the original statement that my assumption that all numbering systems are base 10 was the digits are counted by having the rightmost digit count from 0 to the maximum value, then reset to 0 and simultaneously incrementing the digit to the left of it, with 0's implied whenever there is blank space.  But that wouldn't be any fun to state everything so explicitly.  :)

I think what you mean to say is that all the numbering systems with a base (like binary, hexidecimal, etc.) are decimal systems (meaning that moving one column to the left increases the value by one base, and a decimal point indicates where the value is base*0).

First of all, a binary system (for example) is by definition base 2. It can't possibly be base 10 and base 2 at the same time.
Second, not all numbering systems are decimal. The Roman system (I, II, III, IV, etc), for example, is not. And it doesn't have a base, really - though one could argue that it has several: I, V, X, L, C, M, etc. 

eytanz

Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 08:36:14 PM

I think what you mean to say is that all the numbering systems with a base (like binary, hexidecimal, etc.) are decimal systems (meaning that moving one column to the left increases the value by one base, and a decimal point indicates where the value is base*0).

The name of the property you describe is "positional". "Decimal" literally means "base ten".

Unblinking is right that there can be no base-1 positional system; but he is wrong in assuming that positional numeral systems are the only ones that matter, and in assuming that you need a minimum of two symbols to represent things.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:39:43 PM by eytanz »

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010, 09:02:06 PM

The name of the property you describe is "positional". "Decimal" literally means "base ten".

I kinda see your point, eytanz. But don't we still call it a "decimal point" regardless of which base we are using? I have never heard of a "positional point". So, my take was that, in this case, "decimal" has been separated from it's "base 10" origins and taken on a life of it's own (much like "computer" no longer means a person who computes  ;)).

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 05:57:29 PM

First of all, a binary system (for example) is by definition base 2. It can't possibly be base 10 and base 2 at the same time.
Second, not all numbering systems are decimal. The Roman system (I, II, III, IV, etc), for example, is not. And it doesn't have a base, really - though one could argue that it has several: I, V, X, L, C, M, etc. 

Now you're getting to the heart of what I was trying to say!  :)

Binary is, of course, base two.  Two is represented as 10 in binary.
Octal is base eight.  Eight is represented as 10 in octal.
Decimal is base ten.  Ten is represented as 10 in decimal.
Hexadecimal is base 16.  Sixteen is represented as 10 in hexadecimal.

So, each of these numbering systems is base 10 (where the number 10 is self-referentially represented in its own numbering system).  When we refer to binary as being base 2, we know that the "2" is a decimal representation because the "2" digit does not exist in binary. 

So, if I say "I prefer to use base 10 for my mathematics", this statement is only useful if we know what base the number "10" is represented in.  This amuses me (though it wouldn't surprise me if I'm the only one it amuses). 

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:55 PM
Now you're getting to the heart of what I was trying to say!  :)

Binary is, of course, base two.  Two is represented as 10 in binary.
Octal is base eight.  Eight is represented as 10 in octal.
Decimal is base ten.  Ten is represented as 10 in decimal.
Hexadecimal is base 16.  Sixteen is represented as 10 in hexadecimal.

So, each of these numbering systems is base 10 (where the number 10 is self-referentially represented in its own numbering system).  When we refer to binary as being base 2, we know that the "2" is a decimal representation because the "2" digit does not exist in binary. 

So, if I say "I prefer to use base 10 for my mathematics", this statement is only useful if we know what base the number "10" is represented in.  This amuses me (though it wouldn't surprise me if I'm the only one it amuses). 

Ahhh, another case of written vs spoken...
In my mind I heard "base ten", when you were thinking "base one-zero".

But, the only reason we use "base one-zero" is because we have defined things that way. Conceivably, we could have defined a base four system (say) that uses #, q, @, and y to represent zero, one, two , and three just so that we wouldn't confuse it with the base ten system.  In that case, this would be a "base q#" system. But that would require people to do even more mental gymnastics, which is why it probably wasn't done that way. So, there is nothing intrinsically special about "base one-zero", it's just an indicator of our laziness as a species - which I guess is kinda funny ;D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 03:07:11 PM
So, there is nothing intrinsically special about "base one-zero", it's just an indicator of our laziness as a species - which I guess is kinda funny ;D

It wasn't meant to be earth-shatteringly deep, just something which amuses me.  :)