Author Topic: Authors we should hunt down in a dark alley and force to come to EP  (Read 27818 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Spider Robinson.  Included in this post is the contact email from his website, as well as a snail mail address for his literary agent.

Eleanor Wood, Spectrum Literary Agency

320 Central Park West, Suite 1-D
    New York, NY 10025
    (tel) 212-362-4323

I plan on sending a link to Escape Pod to the email address and suggest that he submit some short stories.  Maybe some shorts in the Callahan's universe.  I always enjoy reading those.

[edit] email sent and cc'd to editor@escapepod.org [/edit]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:36:49 PM by lowky »

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Spider Robinson. 
[edit] email sent and cc'd to editor@escapepod.org [/edit]

Woot!!!!! got a response

Dear L**,

Thanks; I appreciate it.  I'll look into it as soon as I get a spare minute.
If that should occur prior to the Heat Death of the universe...

--Spider

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir

Russell Nash

We have had a problem recently.  There have been some listeners demanding that EP be almost all hardSF.  Many others have been calling for more hardSF.  The problem is, Steve isn't getting any good hardSF submissions.

If you know a good hardSF writer, send them an email and tell them about EP.

I'd really like to hear some good stories about the colonization of Mars or better yet something around the space elevator.  I haven't read about it in fiction since Heinlein.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:00:46 AM by Russell Nash »

Roney

• Lochage
It would be great if a Neal Asher story turned- woo hoo!

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
I nominate Darin Morgan. He wrote a few teleplays for X-Files. Namely, some of the quirky ones like "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'", "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", and "War of the Coprophages".

I'd really like to hear some good stories about the colonization of Mars or better yet something around the space elevator.  I haven't read about it in fiction since Heinlein.
I think the protagonist of Robert L. Forward's Timemaster (1992) got rich building rotovators.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 04:46:45 AM
id like to heat stackpool or t morris

Improvise, Adapt ,Overcome.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 04:40:41 AM
Arthur C. Clarke
Jim Butcher
Frank Herburt
Alasdair Reynolds
Robert A. Heinlien
Philip K. Dick
H.P. Lovecraft (who we may be able to just use being as that the copyright is expired or something like that)

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 09:04:38 PM
When I get home from work tonight I'm definitely going to try to track down contact info for Samuel Delany.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 12:48:25 PM
If Sean McMullen wrote short fiction (maybe he does still; I don't know) I might like to read it, though he's more of a sweeping space-opera kind of guy.

I bet Wil Wheaton, if he wrote any original SF, would submit it here.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 03:39:10 AM
id love to hear a short fiction from Michio Kaku

Improvise, Adapt ,Overcome.

protopodorg

• Extern
    • protopod.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_Pohl Frederik Pohl
I'd like to ask him about the Heechee and Eschaton series. Wow.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
We have had a problem recently.  There have been some listeners demanding that EP be almost all hardSF.  Many others have been calling for more hardSF.  The problem is, Steve isn't getting any good hardSF submissions.

Kim Stanley Robinson?

Science means that not all dreams can come true

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website

Kim Stanley Robinson?

Kim Stanley Robinson would be a good author to get for either his Mars Trilogy or Science in the Capitol universes.

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Stephen Baxter.  DOH!

>:(

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Stephen Baxter.  DOH!

Have you emailed him?  Maybe if it came from a big fan, such as yourself, it would mean more. 

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Stephen Baxter.  DOH!

Have you emailed him?  Maybe if it came from a big fan, such as yourself, it would mean more. 

Good idea.  I'll give it a shot.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
I think Steve's probably right about not using a form letter, but if you add some personal touches to this, maybe that would help:

Dear <author or agent>,

I'm a big fan of your novels and short stories.  I especially enjoyed <author's most obscure/ambitious/lowest selling work>, and I'd love to see more stories set in that world.  If you have any short stories along those lines, I'd suggest sending them to Escape Pod (www.escapepod.org), which is a weekly science-fiction podcast magazine that I subscribe to. 

They pay authors a one-time fee for the right to record the stories, and release the audio under a non-exclusive Creative Commons license.  They've put out stories by Isaac Asimov, Nancy Kress, and Robert Silverburg, and they run the Hugo nominees each year.  (At least, they've managed to run 4 of them each year since they began podcasting.)  They also run a lot of Mike Resnick stories, and I think your stories are a LOT better than his!

I hope you'll seriously look into this, because there are 20,000 other fans downloading these stories every week.  It would mean a lot to me personally to know that I was the fan that got your stories out to a new audience.

Sincerely/Best Wishes/etc.

<your name here>

Apologies to Mr. Resnick for throwing you under the bus like that, but you seem like a really good sport, and besides, I like your stories a LOT better than <author>'s, anyway.  ;)

Steve?  Moderators?  Care to offer any serious modifications before anyone take me seriously and tries to send something like this out to their favorite authors?

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Time Travel: Grab Philip K Dick.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
There's a certain Octavia Butler story I'd love to see show up on EP.

Zathras

Since there are 3 'casts, I'm not limiting my suggestions to SF.  I'm also not limiting it to living authors.

Terry Pratchett
Stephen King (not my favorite, but wouldn't that be a feather in PP's cap?)
Heinlein
Asimov
Piers Anthony
David Weber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Stephen King: Misery was pretty good, but the other's aren't as decent. And Asimov has already been featured. But PKD has loads of short stories, I have about 80 of them and they are pretty decent.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
I say...
we need the Ghost of Shakespeare to write stories for us...
wait... nevermind.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Alistair Reynolds.  The guy is bloody brilliant, and has quite a back-catalogue of short fiction.  I'm sure he could be persuaded to sell one.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:48:03 PM by gelee »