Author Topic: Moon  (Read 6785 times)

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
on: July 05, 2009, 10:06:23 PM
Anyone else seen it yet?  If you don't know about this film (as I knew almost nothing about it when I was told in no uncertain terms to go see it), it's a near-future SF film about a man who works as the sole caretaker of a mostly-automated lunar mining base.  That's about as far as I'll go telling you about the plot, and I'd strongly recommend you don't go reading reviews or watching trailers, because it's one of those films where the less you know going in the better it'll be.  What I will say is this:  It is one of the best new SF films I've seen in a long time.  It actually felt a lot more like an SF novel than like most contemporary SF film; it was thoughtfully plotted, not entirely special-effects-driven (don't get me wrong, there are some great visuals, but it's certainly not trying to meet some explosion/fireball quota), and while there were a few "Wait one second..." moments, and a few fine cracks in some of the premises, it mostly seemed to strive pretty hard for a decent degree of plausibility.

Right now (at least in the US) it's in an arthouse release, so if you're not in or near a big city or college town you might have a tough time, and for some of the aforementioned reasons I doubt it'll make it to the multiplexes, but if you can find it it is well worth going out of your way to see.

Also, you'll never look at emoticons the same again  :-\

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:30:26 AM
I've read a few good reviews of it and plan to see it if it gets anywhere close to my location (central MN).   It drives me nuts when good movies don't make it out close to me but I'll drive a ways to see cool sci-fi.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:21:03 AM
Where and when MOON is playing...

http://www.sonyclassics.com/moon/dates.html

Praxis

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:41:37 PM
And the director's first name used to be Zowie.

Which is reason enough to go and see any* film if you ask me.

*Terms and conditions** may apply

**Not being a Hannah Montana movie, for example.

Praxis

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:37:19 PM
Saw it yesterday and it is very very good.
It'll never be classed as an epic of the genre nor nuffing but it is a great wee film.

At one point I thought "this would make a great stage play" (given the amount of the film that occurs inside the base and its small spaces) until I realised.......well, if you've seen the film you'll know exactly why it wouldn't work.  But I was that drawn in.

And Kevin Spacey does a creepily fine job of being the voice of the base's computer, GERTY.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:07:12 PM

And Kevin Spacey does a creepily fine job of being the voice of the base's computer, GERTY.

;)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:38:05 AM
Anyone else seen it yet?  If you don't know about this film (as I knew almost nothing about it when I was told in no uncertain terms to go see it), it's a near-future SF film about a man who works as the sole caretaker of a mostly-automated lunar mining base.  That's about as far as I'll go telling you about the plot, and I'd strongly recommend you don't go reading reviews or watching trailers, because it's one of those films where the less you know going in the better it'll be.  What I will say is this:  It is one of the best new SF films I've seen in a long time.  It actually felt a lot more like an SF novel than like most contemporary SF film; it was thoughtfully plotted, not entirely special-effects-driven (don't get me wrong, there are some great visuals, but it's certainly not trying to meet some explosion/fireball quota), and while there were a few "Wait one second..." moments, and a few fine cracks in some of the premises, it mostly seemed to strive pretty hard for a decent degree of plausibility.

Right now (at least in the US) it's in an arthouse release, so if you're not in or near a big city or college town you might have a tough time, and for some of the aforementioned reasons I doubt it'll make it to the multiplexes, but if you can find it it is well worth going out of your way to see.

Also, you'll never look at emoticons the same again  :-\

Caught this a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty much the best movie I've seen this year.  For a movie with three central characters and basically one location there's a HUGE amount going on and in an attempt to untangle that, I wrote this:

http://www.alasdairstuart.com/2009/07/29/magnificent-desolation-moon/.

Spoilers abound so be warned:)

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 03:04:50 AM
Anyone know when this is coming out on DVD?  I can't seem to find the info anywhere. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 04:44:36 AM
Alasdair said it all in his blog.  I have only one thing to add:

Stating location of base as being on the "far side" of the moon (not the "dark side") = win.

Earth being visible from the far side of the moon = FAIL.  It's called the "far side" for a reason. ::)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:30:23 PM
I accidentally saw a Facebook comment about the film which gave away the central plot point. As such, my viewing of the film was tainted and I am very, very disappointed by that. Good film though.

The set design seemed to evoke that old "space will be white, clean and shiny" ethos. Also -- did they use the 2001 fonts on the displays? It sure looked familiar.

Part of it reminded me strongly of Outland.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 11:57:38 PM
I forgot to say I saw it, quite enjoyed it.  I'd say more but I'm on my iPhone and it would be annoying.  I had a few small problems with it but for the most part I really enjoyed it.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 01:45:45 AM
Finally saw it.  Wow, loved it.   Yeah, there were some "huh" moments but still a fun, weird ride.  I'm glad I didn't read up much on it after reading some of the comments about being spoiled. 

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 04:31:12 PM
Another possible "FAIL" occurred to me: wouldn't it be kind of difficult to launch unmanned cargo capsules to Earth from the far side of the moon?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 09:17:31 PM
Just saw it.  Knew nothing going in.  Really enjoyed it.  Kevin Spacey is a brilliant HAL. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 06:14:44 AM
Kevin Spacey is a brilliant HAL. 

I admit that I had wondered why the computer was making me really nervous and edgy whenever it talked, and then I saw the acting credits come up at the end.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 08:06:14 AM
I loved that I couldn't really figure out that computer until the end.  It was an emotional rollercoaster with him, and I like how it turned out.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

sketchylines

• Extern
  • http://sketchy-lines.blogspot.com/
    • Sketchy Lines
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 08:55:43 AM
Just saw this last night. Brought me back to my childhood astronaut-wannabe days.

Worth watching for its sensitive characterisation, excellent music (Clint Mansell, oh my gosh!) and stunning visuals. This is one for us astronaut wannabes. And indie film lovers. However the plot degenerates into a standard conspiracy movie, and fails to tackle the actual science fiction questions. The other outstanding aspects make up for this lack, and I highly recommend this as a very enjoyable and immersive film.

I also did a critique of it, in comic format!
[full size]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6KHWKMQk4Og/TbVEfMEA7wI/AAAAAAAAAC4/bI6njtC4Gz8/s1600/sarang.jpg

from my comic blog at http://sketchy-lines.blogspot.com/

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 01:09:55 PM
And the director's first name used to be Zowie.

Which is reason enough to go and see any* film if you ask me.

Totally. Similarly, Moon Unit Zappa is why Punky Brewster will be a classic for the ages.