Author Topic: Podcast fiction for kids?  (Read 7528 times)

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
on: July 20, 2009, 09:15:18 PM
Does anyone know if a podcast (or more than one) exists for juvenile fiction?  Not for really young kids, but say 6 and up?

I'm thinking of the "Squonk the Dragon" stories (of which my daughter wants more!) that Escape Pod ran.  But not necessarily sf, though not necessarily not sf (or even sci-fi), either. :)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:22:10 AM
I think clonepod might meet those requirements.  http://www.clonepod.org/

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:02:00 AM
I think clonepod might meet those requirements.  http://www.clonepod.org/

They seem to have podfaded.  Or at least, gone on indefinite hiatus.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:36:08 AM
so what else is out thair?
my 8 year old is runing out of carfuly selected escapepod episodes :-)
i havent listend to any pod castel is thare posably somthing he migte like thare? he has fairly mature tasts for his age. after listning to barnaby in exsile he sead mike Resnick was one of his favoret athers :-) he also loved tideline

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:46:32 PM
I'm sure there's appropriate stuff for him on Podcastle if he digs fantasy at all.

Gordon the self-made cat (#37) might be a good one. Though of course you may wish to screen it yourself before hand.

#24 intelligent design might be fun too, but again pre-screening recommended

and lets see.. #28 the tanuki-kettle might be a good one.

#17 goblin lullaby is a super fun one..

(in case its not obvious I'm just going through the list of "G" rated ones and picking out some that I seem to recall as appropriate, maybe, for a child of that age).

There are a couple Resnick stories on Podcastle somewhere too I believe, but they may be more adult-themed.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:17:19 AM

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:36:53 AM
My 6-year-old loves Decoder Ring Theater.  I don't think he follows the stories very well, but he loves the voices.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:35 PM
I've been dripfeeding much of Escape Pod to my little brother. As well as avoiding the obvious - expletives, sex et cetera you also want to avoid anything too complex for the kid (how patronising am i?) to avoid them being bored

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 08:14:53 PM
My 6-year-old loves Decoder Ring Theater.  I don't think he follows the stories very well, but he loves the voices.

Let me echo the endorse of Decoder Ring Theater, particularly The Red Panda stories.  The Black Jack Adventures put my kid to sleep, and we delete those unheard, but she loves loves loves The Red Panda (and, of course, the Flying Squirrel).  She also likes the space ones (written by Matt F'n Wallace, iirc) and I can't remember the name of those, but her fav is Red Panda.

I'd also recommend The Radio Adventures of Doctor Floyd.

Those are both fun for adults as well as children.

My daughter also enjoys Storynory and it's bearable for adults but not as much fun as the other two, both of which are done in radio theater mode.

As far as PodCastle goes, my kid's handsdown favorite has been "In The House of the Seven Librarians" by Ellen Klages which she's asked to hear many, multiple times (thank God Rachel's reading of that is so delightful!)

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 10:32:02 PM
- How about some of the classics over at librivox.org? (L. Frank Baum, Lucy Maud Montgomery come to mind.)

- Also a zillion Old Time Radio series archived at archive.org.

- I thought that http://classic.escapepod.org/ was supposed to be the "family safe" feed of EP, but it appears to redirect to Pseudopod. What up with that?  ???

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:38:23 AM
I'll echo Decoder Ring theater. Classic tales podcast is allright- depending on the child.  Dr.Floyds Radio show is cute (my daughter will still sing the one meatball song to make me giggle). And there are many episodes over here that just take some listening to before deciding. I let my 13 year old decide for herself, but younger daughter gets hers screened still.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:41:40 AM by MacArthurBug »

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 04:22:58 PM
- I thought that http://classic.escapepod.org/ was supposed to be the "family safe" feed of EP, but it appears to redirect to Pseudopod. What up with that?  ???

It wasn't my idea, although I won't claim I didn't find it kinda hilarious.  I've gone ahead and removed the link at this point.  For family-friendly EP or PC eps just click the ratings under the Categories in the sidebar.  For um, the least family-unfriendly PP eps you can try looking for the ones that are missing the Explicit tag (don't know if podcatchers other than iTunes show it, though...)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 06:21:42 PM

It wasn't my idea, although I won't claim I didn't find it kinda hilarious.  I've gone ahead and removed the link at this point.  For family-friendly EP or PC eps just click the ratings under the Categories in the sidebar.  For um, the least family-unfriendly PP eps you can try looking for the ones that are missing the Explicit tag (don't know if podcatchers other than iTunes show it, though...)

If your kids are too normal, lock them in a room with Pseudopod. Repeat applications may be necessary.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 12:33:40 AM

If your kids are too normal, lock them in a room with Pseudopod. Repeat applications may be necessary.
depending on the story.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?