Author Topic: PC063: Daughter of Botu  (Read 11939 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 01:01:04 AM
The pronunciations were a bit off, but the reader gets an 'A' for effort.  Next time, relax a bit, and remember that people actually speak this everyday.  As a native speaker, I was a bit confused by the chinese words.  'Neh-neh', for example, is actually pronounced Nai-Nai.  If you don't believe me, watch a few episodes of Sagwa the Cat or Nihao Kailan.

Ah... I was bothered by the mispronounced Japanese in "Shakko" but being unfamiliar with Chinese, this story sounded OK to me.  Interesting to find out that this one had mispronounced Chinese.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

divadiane

• Extern
    • The Diva's Divine Days
Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 01:53:46 PM
Getting back to this quite late, but I thought I would mention that I consulted Eugie Foster about the pronunciation of the various Chinese words and names. She sent me an audio file, with the disclaimer that her pronunciation is not always correct.  I thought it was interesting that she said her Grandmother always joked about it. So, I guess I come by it naturally? I'm a singer professionally and so it's ingrained to try and pronounce languages correctly. I felt that the Chinese intonation didn't mesh well with the English when read aloud, but I had made the choice to pronounce the Chinese as authentically as possible and had to see it through. I'm glad Yicheng wasn't too bothered by my mispronunciations. Thanks, others, for your kind comments about my narration.

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 05:00:21 PM
Getting back to this quite late, but I thought I would mention that I consulted Eugie Foster about the pronunciation of the various Chinese words and names. She sent me an audio file, with the disclaimer that her pronunciation is not always correct.  I thought it was interesting that she said her Grandmother always joked about it. So, I guess I come by it naturally? I'm a singer professionally and so it's ingrained to try and pronounce languages correctly. I felt that the Chinese intonation didn't mesh well with the English when read aloud, but I had made the choice to pronounce the Chinese as authentically as possible and had to see it through. I'm glad Yicheng wasn't too bothered by my mispronunciations. Thanks, others, for your kind comments about my narration.

Believe me, after watching Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Radha Mitchell totally butcher mandarin in "The Children of Huang Shi", you deserve extra credit.  Considering the fact that you've never had language immersion, I'm very impressed that you actually got 99% of the tones correct.