Author Topic: loved or hated?  (Read 4469 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: August 01, 2009, 01:07:19 PM
Hi everyone

I'm a new listener and so far, Podcastle is absolutely fantastic!  I have enjoyed almost every episode I've listened too, and I have gone back quite far in the archives...

I have one question, though...am I the only one bothered by the phrase "whether you loved or hated..."?

Those are really strong words...rather extreme emotions, no?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:29:46 AM
There are a few offerings that I can say I "hated".  The second Giant "Hell is the Absence of God" comes immediately to mind, as well as "Sweet Savage Sorcerer" and (to a lesser degree) "Loose Drawers". 

And I loved "Moon Viewing at Shijo Bridge", "The Tanuki Kettle", and "On the Banks of the River of Heaven" (obviously I'm predisposed to favor stories with a feudal Japanese setting).

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:03:41 AM
And stories by Richard Parks.

There's more of his work available online, Steph (plus another one in our inventory). I suggest checking him out if you ever have the time to read what turns up after a google search; he's always very good.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:25:52 PM
The forums kind of skew things towards one side or the other, and when you're trying to pick representative viewpoints on a story it's easier to pick one from each extreme than the more nuanced ones in the center, because nuance requires length. Plus the forums tend to radicalize discussion because civil argument is most of the point, so people tend to chose sides.

I, for one, loved Hell is the Absence of God, and ended up borrowing the anthology that it's from to read the author's other stories.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:58 PM
I rarely have a "hated" reaction to a story although I sometimes do to the reading or music or trappings of the 'cast.

However, I often have a "loved" reaction to a story, at which point I get a bit effusive :-) It's a sign of a well-written story to evoke strong reactions. There's maybe 2 I've heard from PC, a similar number on EP, and many on PP, that evoked a "loved" or "awesome" reaction (it's sometimes hard to say you "loved" a PseudoPod story ;-)

AliceNred

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 01:22:31 AM
I rarely hate anything. Once in a while I will dislike an aspect of a story, but over all I have loved my time here.

Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.