Author Topic: New Outro Music  (Read 6834 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
on: August 14, 2009, 12:23:56 AM
On the whole, not enjoying the new outro music.

Just sayin'

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:34:27 AM
Hmmmmmmm. I'm sensing a pattern in some of your posts  ;)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:49:38 AM
Really? ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:51:10 AM by kibitzer »

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:06:16 AM
Seems like no-one else minds -- which is fair enough ;-)

I just find it uncomfortable that my "Pseudopod experience" changes every week.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:54:47 AM
pseudopod is designed to make you feel uncomfortable. :)

but hey, they cant all be crowd pleasers.... and its an mp3 you can just skip it :D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

goatkeeper

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 06:25:53 AM
Seems like no-one else minds -- which is fair enough ;-)

I just find it uncomfortable that my "Pseudopod experience" changes every week.

whoa.  dude.  yah.  c'mon.  Pickin on the soundtrax to host commentary is yes, for sure valid-- but still pretty ancillary, no?  Surely we can all keep picking on Al's microphone quality or the horror occasionally being humerous/"not right" for our capricious forum suggestions?  Let's not water down the influence of sovereign (arbitrary) nattering nitpicks with such things... the time will come.  "Yes we can" kibitzer!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 09:53:30 AM
...but but but

I don't WANT to skip Alisdair's outros!

But you're right, Pseudopod SHOULD make me feel uncomfortable! lol!

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:32:39 PM
I personally thought the best of the outro tracks so far was the one that introduced the fact that there would be new outro music - but that was because Alasdair went on a bit longer than usual, and the track had a nice burbling build to it.  Since then, most just seem to to twitter in the background.

But it really doesn't bother me that much, and hitting that sweet spot between obtrusive and indisctinct wallpaper - getting the mix just right - would depend on it being just the right track (and then probably sticking with it, AND choosing it for length and internal action relative to the commentary, which would mean trying to keep the commentary at a standard length from week to week), mixed at just the right level, and also adjusted for Al's microphone problems (again, not complaining, but the microphone/recording equip/sampling rate - whatever the change -IS noticeably inferior to his previous recordings.  But again, no complaint, as all this is done for free and its nice just to get his thoughts).  I do think picking one of the tracks and sticking with it would be a good start.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:17:36 AM
Don't worry, as I get lazier/busier you can count on more consistency.  Because yeah, it's really hard to nail the pacing and volume levels.  If only Alasdair and I were neighbors, we could get together and do this live.  That may or may not be easier, but it would definitely be fun.

For those who find any variation, on the face of it, unsettling in a bad way -- I can't help but put this somewhat in a category with our notoriously wide variation in story styles:  even if I could make it perfectly consistent, I'd probably get too bored.  Sorry.  :)

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 05:35:01 PM
If only Alasdair and I were neighbors, we could get together and do this live. 

No!!! Getaway!!! al is my neighbor!!! mine i tell you and you carnt have him!!!!!!

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Zathras

Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 05:52:21 PM
If only Alasdair and I were neighbors, we could get together and do this live. 

It's a POD PERSON!!!!!  Ben already stole Al.

No!!! Getaway!!! al is my neighbor!!! mine i tell you and you carnt have him!!!!!!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 03:45:57 AM
For those who find any variation, on the face of it, unsettling in a bad way -- I can't help but put this somewhat in a category with our notoriously wide variation in story styles:  even if I could make it perfectly consistent, I'd probably get too bored.  Sorry.  :)

FWIW I have zero problem with the variation in story styles :-)

Rishoutfield

• Extern
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 07:23:53 AM
I know how the original poster feels.

It's not that I don't like the new music, it's just that I had so accepted the old song, so associated it with Pseudopod, that when it changed, I sort of rebelled against that.

It's like the last season of "Quantum Leap," when suddenly they whored up the theme song to, I don't know, make the show seem edgier or hipper or younger somehow.  I hated listening to that last season's theme.

But hey, the new Pseudotheme isn't anywhere near as bad as that, and I don't mean to criticize it, just to say that it is jarring and unfamiliar.  It's not a big deal, though, and I'll bet a couple months down the line, I'll be as into it as I ever was the old one.

I hope.