Author Topic: PC067: Kissing Frogs  (Read 13297 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Re: PC067: Kissing Frogs
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
You shouldn't assume that stories narrated by trans people will have trans characters, though. We will not be sticking to that formula in the future.

You are correct. However, once I started listening to the story everything clicked for me and that's how I figured it out. Not necessarily just because she* happens to be.

Please ask her to turn up her microphone gain a tad next time she narrates, or speak a little louder. I had no fundamental problems with the narration, just the volume.

* Not quite sure what pronoun to use. No offense intended.
"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »
Hi Listener,

Not taking offense, but just for future information -- address trans people by the gender they currently present as.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »
Phoebe Harris is a trans woman. She mentioned in her bio that she fathered two children in a previous life and is now living with her wife in what's turning out to be a never-ending adventure.

She's also a writer. Here's a link to one of her short stories (which I haven't read, so I can't say anything good or bad about): http://expandedhorizons.net/magazine/?page_id=39

You shouldn't assume that stories narrated by trans people will have trans characters, though. We will not be sticking to that formula in the future.

I followed the author link in the initial post, but saw no such link for the reader.  And lazy sonofbitch that I am, I can't be arsed to Google a name  :P
"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

izzardfan

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 03:24:38 AM »
Phoebe Harris is a trans woman. She mentioned in her bio that she fathered two children in a previous life and is now living with her wife in what's turning out to be a never-ending adventure.

She's also a writer. Here's a link to one of her short stories (which I haven't read, so I can't say anything good or bad about): http://expandedhorizons.net/magazine/?page_id=39

I followed the author link in the initial post, but saw no such link for the reader.  And lazy sonofbitch that I am, I can't be arsed to Google a name  :P

The part of Phoebe's bio that Rachel mentioned above was in M.K. Hobson's intro to the episode.

After hearing the bio, I understood the ability of the reader to evoke both male and female voices very effectively, without either sounding strained.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »
The last sentence really marred the ending of the story for me with its redundancy.  The ending is clever, but not that confusing, there's no need to spell it out.

I liked the story, but I'm afraid I have to agree.  I realized the story was over and my first thought was "But what about her genitals? Are they M or F?"  I'm guessing that was not the author's intent.  Or maybe it was.

I'll admit I didn't see it coming that Sharon was trans.  But the story was a Tiptree finalist, so I figured there might be some gender-bending stuff coming.
"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

david

• Extern
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
This story kind of got ragged on, so I thought I would try to counter-balance the discussion a little.  One of the aspects of that I love about fantasy is that it is always new, and always different.  I liked how the author of this story combined the fantastic elements typical of the genre (a frog prince) with an uncommon and misunderstood aspect of our own culture. 

I thought it was a neat story.

AliceNred

• Peltast
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »
I thought this was perfect. This is a story that will stay in my heart for a long, long time.
Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
The story didn't hold my interest long enough to get to the really interesting part.  Ten minutes in and it was still just an awkward date, not really enough hook me.