Author Topic: PC 068: A Heretic By Degrees  (Read 16447 times)

ckastens

• Extern
Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 12:55:31 PM
I loved this story when I first read it at IGMS and I loved it here. I also enjoyed the other story in the same world, "Driftwood", over at BCS. Driftwood is a great setting, the concept is fresh and the possibilities are limitless. I hope more is coming soon!

AliceNred

• Peltast
Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 05:05:57 PM
I  love the idea of place called Drift Wood. I am sorry to say that I found this too slow to be any real fun.

I liked the intro about the aztecs.

I did like the ending, but I was sure that was they only way it could end. I like endings better I can not guess them.

Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 04:25:47 PM
Sadly, I found this story dull and dragging. I felt like we were only shown glimpses of the different worlds without really experiencing the culture--except for the place where they performed the blue bowl ceremony (yuck!). and soon they all began to blur together. I couldn't really care about the characters either.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 07:30:11 PM
I was also one of those who wanted to yell "It's 2012!"  Of course, I probably only remember that because of the crappy apocalyptic Hollywood movie coming out later this year with the year in the title.

Anyway, regarding the story, I LOVED this one.  And yes, if you've read enough of my story responses, that is against the grain of many of them.  I tend to rant and rave and get bored when a story goes on explaining setting for long periods of time without anything happening.  BUT in this case the setting was just so damned interesting that I didn't notice nor care. The idea of the Apocalypse taking a while to finish it's work is one that I haven't heard of, and Driftwood is the garbage disposal where everything finally gets ground to dust.

I liked the way the different worlds interacted, and how valuable a role a guide is who knows what commodities are valuable in which places and knowing the languages and giving necessary advice.

This is my favorite Podcastle so far.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 02:43:07 PM
And I forgot to say:  AWESOME title.  It had me interested before I had a clue what the story was about, it has a memorable ring to it, and it actually describes the events of the story without giving away anything important. 

HexD

• Extern
Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 07:34:16 PM
Loved the story. Loved the setting. I would love to see more of this world.

Maybe it's just the fatalist in me.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 08:57:24 PM
I named this as #15 in my fave Podcastle of all time:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/10/podcast-spotlight-podcastle/