Author Topic: EP681: That She Might Fly  (Read 2041 times)

divs

on: June 07, 2019, 09:56:01 PM
Escape Pod 681: That She Might Fly

Author : Mary Anne Mohanraj
Narrator : Farah Naz Rishi
Host : Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer : Adam Pracht

That She Might Fly is an Escape Pod original.

---

“O’Brien,” the captain’s voice snapped across the net, interrupting Nuala’s conversation with her husband, demanding her attention. “We’re moving on to the last block, but there’s one holdout at number three-thirty-seven. Arjun Sivaloganathan. He’s refusing to evacuate. Go down and dig him out, by force if you have to.” His voice came through Nuala’s implant, syllables dropping out — some kind of interference from the bombing. It was disconcerting; in her entire life, the net had always worked smoothly. If the net wasn’t reliable, nothing was. Everything was changing, and not for the better.

“Yes, sir.” She signed off, to find that Michael had already cut their connection too. She couldn’t be sorry that the captain had interrupted that conversation – it had been a miserable one, her husband calling to tell her that the bank had refused their request for a medical loan. Until one of them got a promotion to a better-paying job, there would be no way to afford the gene-modding they needed. No way to have a child.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 04:49:17 AM
I think the main bit that sort of "took me out" of this one was when the officer started choking the dumb guy / bad parent.
-Anger and frustration is one thing. Murder, though?
-The guy just takes it and then it's all cool after? (Uncommented upon?)
Had a hard time buying it.
I sympathize with the loss of a child and the frustration of struggling to have one, but I couldn't get on board with how either of these individuals were handling it.
The room full of multiple daughters at all ages was a neat moment.
-Adam

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:49:41 AM
I liked the way this story unfolded. I also liked the nod to our current income inequality issues.