Author Topic: EP682/EP214: Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest (Flashback Friday)  (Read 46390 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I've now listened to all the Escape Pod episodes.  Soon, a Best of Escape Pod list.  :)

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Not only has this story won the Nebula, but Eugie Foster totally gave a shout-out to EP and thanked Larry Santoro in her acceptance speech.  (Starts shortly after 39:00.)

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Not only has this story won the Nebula, but Eugie Foster totally gave a shout-out to EP and thanked Larry Santoro in her acceptance speech.  (Starts shortly after 39:00.)

Oh and announced by Jack McDevitt. :D (at least I think so?)

I am almost sorry now I didn't stay to watch this Saturday night.

Still, WONDERFUL thing.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:57:25 AM by Talia »

DandHRoberts

• Extern
  • "Yes, you are exactly my brand of heroin."
I saw this artists work and it reminded me of this story.

http://picdit.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/kelie-bowman/

"I'm betting on Alice"

luka datas

unique in the best possible way. in such a world as that one how could someone do anything other that lose their mind.

Piet

• Palmer
This story is well written with some interesting themes, which justifies the Nebula award Eugie Foster received for it. Yet it seems too far-fetched, making it difficult for some who prefer science fiction over fantasy to remain engaged. The ideas of this story could perhaps be effectively incorporated into a hard sci-fi story, but as it stands, the story merely serves as another illustration of how fantasy is frequently disappointing to those whose primary interest is sci-fi.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:53:10 AM by Ed »

It's not the destination...it's the glory of the ride.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Named this story NUMBER ONE on my Best Podcast Fiction of All Time List:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/07/the-best-podcast-fiction-of-all-time-the-complete-list/

I'm pretty sure this was the very first Escape Pod episode that I listened to. It made a HUGE impression on me and obviously made me want to keep listening!

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
The narration on this is stunningly good.

acpracht

• EA Staff
Seeing Larry's early replys to this when it first ran back in the day, well... Just made me profoundly sad.
Especially losing Chris Cornell this month...
Death is the most unfair thing in life.
-Adam

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #110 on: January 14, 2020, 05:00:35 AM
I never liked this story  the first time I listened to it. But, I decided to give it another try anyway. Well, I still don't like it. It seemed like the author wrote horrifying things for the sake of being horrifying. I'm not sure how all that gruesome violence adds to the story. I am sure that people would have been disillusioned with this society even without the senseless violence. And it is completely unclear to me how or why a society like this would function. What is the point of being married or friends with someone if that someone is interchangeable and could be virtually anyone from one day to the next. Things like that really exceeded my willing suspension of disbelief. In short, the story did not work for me on multiple levels.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:05:43 AM by CryptoMe »