Author Topic: EP048: Soul Food  (Read 4250 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 10, 2009, 03:49:07 PM
EP048: Soul Food

By Paul E. Martens.
Read by Stephen Eley.

They are a quick lot, these humans. They dart about, rushing here, there, everywhere, as if something were chasing them. They speak quickly, as well. I have to remember the sounds they make, then replay them in my memory at a slower speed to decipher their words. And my mission is not made any easier by the way they perceive it, and therefore me. To them, the fact that I have come to eat one of them automatically makes me a monster.

Rated PG. Contains deep moral and gastronomical issues. And yelling.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:30:38 PM
I'm with Stephen, can we elect this woman as president please?  Unfortunately the political system seems to be set up to remove the best candidates.  And then (in the words of one of my favorite Southpark episodes ever), you're left choosing between a giant douche and a crap sandwich.  I suppose it boils down to the quote within the story stating that any candidate chosen by committee is guaranteed to not be the best choice--multiply that committee size to the voting populace of the US and it's even more true.

Anyway, back to the story.  I really enjoyed this one, though I saw the twist at the end coming it was done well and it was still fun throughout.  The alien group claims to be so altruistic and intelligent, but no one has ever thought of a better way to evaluate a species that didn't involve the sacrifice of one of the species?  I'm not sure I'd want to join that club anyway!  Especially since they can be negotiated into submission anyway.  ;)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:30:08 PM
I'm with Stephen, can we elect this woman as president please?  Unfortunately the political system seems to be set up to remove the best candidates.  And then (in the words of one of my favorite Southpark episodes ever), you're left choosing between a giant douche and a crap sandwich.  I suppose it boils down to the quote within the story stating that any candidate chosen by committee is guaranteed to not be the best choice--multiply that committee size to the voting populace of the US and it's even more true.

Or as H.L. Mencken said in 1920:
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising