Author Topic: Powerful 9/11 article  (Read 1772 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: September 11, 2009, 04:04:53 AM
I read this and it affected me a lot so I felt like sharing... it's about how NYC rebounded after 9/11.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/11/nyregion/11dayafter.html

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:11:11 AM
CBC Newsworld aired 102 Minutes That Changed The World.

It was most interesting because it was all amateur video, no voice-over narration, ambient sound, and short audio clips of Police and FDNY radio chatter, etc. For the different scenes they'd have just a caption giving the time of day and approximate location, but no other explanation. Very little mention of what was happening outside of Manhattan at the time, so they don't dwell on much in the way of "whodunnit?" and political crap (except for a few brief outbursts of public sentiment). Just the experience of the people on the street at the time.

CBC's blurb:
102 Minutes that Changed the World
Sunday September 13, 2009 at 10 pm ET/PT on CBC Newsworld
Winner 2009 Emmy, Best Non-Fiction Special

It's 102 minutes the world will never forget - that's how much time passed between the first plane that crashed into the World Trade Center and the collapse of the second tower, on Sept. 11, 2001. A new historical record is emerging from personal footage, photography and audio captured by survivors and onlookers near the scene.

102 Minutes that Changed the World is a two-hour documentary that provides a rare and intensely personal look at the world-changing events that took place on Sept. 11. This unique documentary carefully pieces together personal footage and audiotape from amateur photography and videos, New York police and emergency dispatch radio recordings, voicemails, audio/video diaries, and outtakes culled from raw television network footage, to create a seamless historical record of those 102 minutes. The result is an evocative memorial to the 2,603 lives lost and a reminder of just how much our world has changed since that tragic day.
[photo of firefighter]

This documentary faithfully records and captures the horrific morning as it happened and the way it was experienced-from people's initial bewilderment that a plane could slam into these iconic skyscrapers on such a clear, sunny day, to the sudden, awful recognition that America was under attack. Many have said that society must never forget what happened on Sept. 11. 102 Minutes that Changed the World is an unprecedented attempt to capture the experience of that morning and preserve it as authentically as possible for future generations.

102 Minutes that Changed the World was produced by Nicole Rittenmeyer and edited by Seth Skundrick for A&E History Channel in the U.S.
Just riveting stuff, even though you know exactly what would ultimately happen, as with "Apollo 13". I wish i had taped it.

---------------------------
Of course I couldn't help thinking of how they shot Cloverfield to resemble this kind of footage, and I wonder if that style will gain in popularity for big-screen movies? It would be real easy to do badly.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")