Escape Artists

News:

• Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

News

Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

Author Topic: EP003: Three Wish Habit  (Read 3303 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 15, 2009, 08:11:23 AM
EP003: Three Wish Habit

By Janni Lee Simner.
Read by Jonathon Sullivan.

The man opens his hand, the one that’s been in his pocket all this time. A shiny brass bottle lies there, small in his large palm. A band of flowery, unreadable lettering is etched just beneath the narrow neck. Otherwise the surface is flawless: no dents, no scratches, no dirt.

My hands tremble; my heart pounds so loud I have trouble thinking. That’s the real thing he’s holding, no doubt about it. He might still be a cop. But I flip into park, and roll the window down.

Rated PG. Contains some profanity, vehicular violence, and poor judgment.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:21:57 PM
Very cool idea with the use of wishes as drugs.  Well-written too, but at the point when he blew his big wish I was cursing at him for being so stupid!  What was the big wish even used for?  Healing him, if I remember correctly...  If you're going to blow a big wish anyway, why not go to an extreme--instead of a one-time healing, ask for the long-term ability to heal wounds very rapidly.  Then he could just run from the cops and if he got shot a couple of times no big deal. 

VTDorchester

• Palmer
    • Follow My Monthly Progress through all the EscapePod Episodes on my blog
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:59:16 PM
Hello! I am on a quest to listen to all the EscapePod story episodes from start to finish, and I am creating a short-list of favourites as I go.

I'm listening to episodes in 100 story batches, and mentioning which of each 100 I enjoyed most on my blog as I go along.

This is the first story to go on to my short list!

It's a fun story, and I'm glad that it (and most other EscapePod episodes!) remains available for listening, years and years later.

A belated thanks and congratulations to the author and narrator!