Escape Artists
October 25, 2014, 10:35:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EP003: Three Wish Habit  (Read 1084 times)
Russell Nash
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:11:23 AM »

EP003: Three Wish Habit

By Janni Lee Simner.
Read by Jonathon Sullivan.

The man opens his hand, the one that’s been in his pocket all this time. A shiny brass bottle lies there, small in his large palm. A band of flowery, unreadable lettering is etched just beneath the narrow neck. Otherwise the surface is flawless: no dents, no scratches, no dirt.

My hands tremble; my heart pounds so loud I have trouble thinking. That’s the real thing he’s holding, no doubt about it. He might still be a cop. But I flip into park, and roll the window down.

Rated PG. Contains some profanity, vehicular violence, and poor judgment.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »

Very cool idea with the use of wishes as drugs.  Well-written too, but at the point when he blew his big wish I was cursing at him for being so stupid!  What was the big wish even used for?  Healing him, if I remember correctly...  If you're going to blow a big wish anyway, why not go to an extreme--instead of a one-time healing, ask for the long-term ability to heal wounds very rapidly.  Then he could just run from the cops and if he got shot a couple of times no big deal. 

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: