Author Topic: EP010: The Girlfriends of Dorian Gray  (Read 6449 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 17, 2009, 07:15:06 AM
EP010: The Girlfriends of Dorian Gray

By Gregory Frost.
Read by Stephen Eley.

For all that, his manners were impeccable. It wasn’t that he sat slobbering and gnashing, drawing attention to himself as some deranged Neanderthal with a fork might have done. No, he ate demurely, quietly, chatting with her, truly interested in what she had to say (or at least feigning interest so well that she would never notice the difference). Dinner with him lasted the entire evening. The courses came and went ‚Äî soups, hors-d’oeuvres, first course, main course, cheese course, desserts and coffee, liqueurs. She would not have noticed right away that he had eaten an extra course, or more than one dessert, or consumed an entire bottle of wine on his own and helped her with half of another. Simply, he ate. And ate. And ate. And ate.

Rated R. Contains explicit sex, cruelty, and immoral dining.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:20:06 AM
this was a good story of ironic justice,  why is it that irony is such a good ingredient for a story...   Is karma a real thing? or are we just happy to see some form of universal justice because it helps us think that maybe there is some force beyond our comprehension tending the light at the end of the tunnel.  either way i enjoyed this short story.  I'm new to escape pod and have liked it so much that i've been going through all the old episodes,  so if you weren't around for episode 10 or just haven't gotten around to listening to it, i would suggest this story.

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:58:52 PM
I enjoyed this little revenge story, and the backstory and usage of the protag's powers were well done.  My one complaint was that at the beginning I wasn't sure what time period to assume it was as most of the descriptions were of sitting in restaurants and eating lots and drinking wine which could be a variety of time settings.  Because of the title I assumed that this was actually the original Dorian Gray, but then later it revealed to be much more modern times.

Balu

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:35:09 PM
I am loving this back catalogue  ;D

This is one of my faves so far, partly because it's a clever, well crafted and oh so satisfying morality tale and partly because I'm on a diet.

I'm not saying I would have used that ring to the full extent, but I would have been tempted to use it perhaps just a little bit. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:29:22 PM
A very enjoyable story, and just the right length for my long walk  :) I'm assuming the story is a bow to the original Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. *Interesting factoid about "The Picture of Dorian Gray", the picture is actually stored in an old schoolroom by Dorian Gray in the novel and not, as many people think, in an attic as seen in the film. *

I was slightly confused about the structure of the story however, as initially I was led to believe Dorian was having his meal with Alison in the 'present tense' and everything else was a flashback, with Dorian remembering his previous victims or "vessels". However this can't have been the case, due to his fate at the end of the story.

All in all, a very enjoyable story and a good homage to Wilde's work.

Chairman Goodchild

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 05:25:47 AM
This was one of the more memorable fantasy stories, back when Escape Pod was still running fantasy.  It's interesting to see someone else start at the beginning and try to make it thru the back catalog of episodes.  It took me about three years, and it's gotten to be more challenging since then.  Good luck, and keep posting about the early stories.  It really jogs some memories. 

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 04:39:45 PM
This was one of the more memorable fantasy stories, back when Escape Pod was still running fantasy.  It's interesting to see someone else start at the beginning and try to make it thru the back catalog of episodes.  It took me about three years, and it's gotten to be more challenging since then.  Good luck, and keep posting about the early stories.  It really jogs some memories. 

I'm pleased you like reading my mutterings about the stories  :) I always have to start things at the beginning and work through in a linear order, I'm a bit OCD like that. Also, from what I've read in other posts, it's a good idea as some stories reference characters from older stories occasionally, or there is a second story set in the same universe the author has created. I try to listen to around 4 stories a day, depending on the length, as they fit perfectly with my morning and afternoon walks, but I think it will take a while to get up to date

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 04:53:58 PM

I'm pleased you like reading my mutterings about the stories  :) I always have to start things at the beginning and work through in a linear order, I'm a bit OCD like that. Also, from what I've read in other posts, it's a good idea as some stories reference characters from older stories occasionally, or there is a second story set in the same universe the author has created. I try to listen to around 4 stories a day, depending on the length, as they fit perfectly with my morning and afternoon walks, but I think it will take a while to get up to date

At four a day, you've got at least four months of science fiction content. Add in the other podcasts and you're set for a year. The back catalog is pretty awesome.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 05:36:09 PM

At four a day, you've got at least four months of science fiction content. Add in the other podcasts and you're set for a year. The back catalog is pretty awesome.

It's amazing, I'm just drinking it all in and loving it, and recommending to as many people as possible !

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 12:31:33 AM

It's amazing, I'm just drinking it all in and loving it, and recommending to as many people as possible !

It's fun to read your reactions to older episodes.  Glad to have you here!

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:27:17 PM

Thanks  :) Glad to be here.

It's fun to read your reactions to older episodes.  Glad to have you here!