Escape Artists
April 23, 2014, 06:46:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EP010: The Girlfriends of Dorian Gray  (Read 1484 times)
Russell Nash
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:15:06 AM »

EP010: The Girlfriends of Dorian Gray

By Gregory Frost.
Read by Stephen Eley.

For all that, his manners were impeccable. It wasn’t that he sat slobbering and gnashing, drawing attention to himself as some deranged Neanderthal with a fork might have done. No, he ate demurely, quietly, chatting with her, truly interested in what she had to say (or at least feigning interest so well that she would never notice the difference). Dinner with him lasted the entire evening. The courses came and went ‚Äî soups, hors-d’oeuvres, first course, main course, cheese course, desserts and coffee, liqueurs. She would not have noticed right away that he had eaten an extra course, or more than one dessert, or consumed an entire bottle of wine on his own and helped her with half of another. Simply, he ate. And ate. And ate. And ate.

Rated R. Contains explicit sex, cruelty, and immoral dining.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
monkeystuff
Palmer

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:20:06 PM »

this was a good story of ironic justice,  why is it that irony is such a good ingredient for a story...   Is karma a real thing? or are we just happy to see some form of universal justice because it helps us think that maybe there is some force beyond our comprehension tending the light at the end of the tunnel.  either way i enjoyed this short story.  I'm new to escape pod and have liked it so much that i've been going through all the old episodes,  so if you weren't around for episode 10 or just haven't gotten around to listening to it, i would suggest this story.

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »

I enjoyed this little revenge story, and the backstory and usage of the protag's powers were well done.  My one complaint was that at the beginning I wasn't sure what time period to assume it was as most of the descriptions were of sitting in restaurants and eating lots and drinking wine which could be a variety of time settings.  Because of the title I assumed that this was actually the original Dorian Gray, but then later it revealed to be much more modern times.

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Balu
Matross

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »

I am loving this back catalogue  Grin

This is one of my faves so far, partly because it's a clever, well crafted and oh so satisfying morality tale and partly because I'm on a diet.

I'm not saying I would have used that ring to the full extent, but I would have been tempted to use it perhaps just a little bit. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Now more than ever we need the Jedi.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: