Author Topic: Pseudopod's competition?  (Read 3990 times)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
on: October 16, 2009, 11:38:17 PM
A post in the thread for "Linda's Appointment" has made me wonder just what other podcasts you all would consider Pseudopod's competition in the horror podcasting field?

"Relic Radio" and "The Horror" were mentioned, but on searching I've discovered "Relic Radio" only acts as a gatherer and pointer to old time radio (which I've been listening to since 1976).  That's great, love the art form (whooo, VIC & SADE, funniest damn show EVER!) but radio drama is different than what Pseudopod does (if they were pointing people to the triple crown of OTR *reading*, not scripted drama, which is Ken Nordine's FACES IN THE WINDOW, Nelson Olmsted's SLEEP NO MORE and Eric Bauersfeld's superb, top-notch THE BLACK MASS, well, then I'd have to genuflect).  As for "The Horror", well, until Old Man Parker provides a link, that's not a searchable term for me...

So, educated podsters, what is Pseudopod's competition (horror only, or at least more occasionally, please!)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:16:15 PM
And so, I guesss the answer is "none"!  Excellent!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:19:20 PM
:D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:04:29 AM
A post in the thread for "Linda's Appointment" has made me wonder just what other podcasts you all would consider Pseudopod's competition in the horror podcasting field?

Well-Told Tales.  Their focus tends to be pulp, but they run lots and lots of horror.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:43:01 PM
Yeah, and last I checked Drabblecast runs a fair bit as well.  Most of the other horror casts I've found aren't rigorously regular publishers, or have faded, whether or not that eliminates them as "competition".  I don't really think of what we do as competitive anyway, although I guess at some point there's probably a limit to the generosity of someone who listens to several podcasts that are all donation supported.  I try not to think about it too much.  :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:49:51 PM
I thought of DC, although they just specialize in weird and seem to cover it all.

Maybe Variant Frequencies? Although they're monthly. They do a broad range of stories, generally dark stories, although I'm not sure I'd call them a horror podcast.