Author Topic: EP216: βoyfriend  (Read 36448 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 17, 2009, 05:59:55 PM
EP216: βoyfriend

By Madeline Ashby.
Read by Tina Connolly.

Violet snapped three photos of herself from various angles, sent them, and waited for her boyfriend’s response. He rang her up—a slow vibrating purr, unlike the staccato door-knocking of her mother’s ringvibe—and said: “Me likey. Now take it off.”

Violet frowned. “You were supposed to dig up the backstory on the dress.”

“Well, you can’t blame me for getting a little distracted. Besides, isn’t it bad luck for me to see?”

“That’s only for weddings, not prom.”

Rated R for language, teen-adult situations, and virtual steadies. Also, Norm’s sexy talk.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

kethet

• Extern
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:23:55 PM
I registered for this site just specifically so I could say

loved

it.

600south

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 12:01:34 PM
That was a very unusual story... but I have to say, I enjoyed it.

bamugo

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 01:09:58 PM
I'm pleased that the closing quote was from Kurzweil. I'm reading "The Singularity Is Near" right now - fascinating stuff.

This was probably the best depiction of what the Singularity might be like for someone who didn't really see it coming. And I like that the AI isn't evil - in fact it's benevolent, though Violet probably won't realize that until she grows up.

I'm pleased that the trope of the blind (or otherwise differently-abled) seer has made its way into progressive sci-fi. We are on the brink of creating a fully functional simulacrum of a non-physical supernatural world - it stands to reason that the same kind of person that has the strongest affinity to magic and the spirit world in fantasy fiction should have access to the modern version in sci-fi.

ZenMage

• Extern
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:30:27 PM
The storey was good but the narrator (Norm) was fantastic... keep him around Steve... he is good.

Thanks for the great content week after week.

Joaquin Escudero Jr

• Extern
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 04:38:33 PM
Once again another thrilling story, and an interesting one at that. I really loved the idea of this coming change that the blind character keeps mentioned, I would have like to hear more about, but you know what they say about leaving them wanting more.

I have to admit that I've never been able to get my head into stories about kids in High School or even younger. It could be that I've never really understood the dynamics of high school, even while I was in High School let alone now that I am a semi-adult. But even with this set back I was able to truly enjoy the story.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

jcisuzu

• Extern
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 04:52:54 PM
Really enjoyed this story. Would have like to hear more of the "hot sticky air" part, though.  ;D
Great read as well. And Norm rocks... makes me think of a stoned Dwight Shroot from "The Office."

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 05:13:31 PM
Very good story.  Great new co-host. 

Where did you dig this guy up? 

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 07:05:15 PM

We found him under a rock here in the forums.  We had no idea he'd sound this good once we got him cleaned up.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 07:28:28 PM
I have to say that Escape Pod, Pseudopod, and Podcastle have been hitting it out of the park, lately. "βoyfriend" is no exception. Not only was the story very enjoyable, the reading was wonderful and, I thought, spot on.  The intro and outro were enjoyable, as well.

I mean it. You guys seem to be tapping into my subconscious and are giving me exactly the type of stories I want to hear.

I don't know whether to be creeped out by this or pleased.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 07:54:36 PM
what a strange story...   i liked it tho, like every other escape pod i've herd so far,  and the new guy was pretty good too

woot, keep bringing us more sci fi short!!  thx

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

bamugo

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 09:20:41 PM
I really loved the idea of this coming change that the blind character keeps mentioned, I would have like to hear more about, but you know what they say about leaving them wanting more.

You can read all about it in this book: The Singularity is Near

http://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Near-Humans-Transcend-Biology/dp/0143037889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253308752&sr=8-1

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 11:33:28 PM

We found him under a rock here in the forums.  We had no idea he'd sound this good once we got him cleaned up.

It's wonderful how he's opening up now.  So less shy than he used to be.

Plus with the EA company credit card, he can finally afford those darling boots he's been hankerin' for.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 05:04:15 AM
Loved the story this week.  Reminds me of my high school niece and her trials and tribulations which to her are world changing but to the rest of us are laughable.   The story also kind of reminded me about how my kids would get upset when their Tamagatchi died after nursing it along for weeks.  Anyway, kind of funny and creepy.  I could totally relate. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 05:39:07 AM
I'm new here and my reaction is sightly negative. I hope I'm not breaking some taboo that will cause me to be shunned forever. However, I have to admit that although I liked this story I thought it had one major flaw. Although the story was about Violet, the author seemed much more interested in John, which left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Violet's moment of drama felt shortchanged in order to make John look cool and neat. I almost felt as though the author was more interested in John - that John was some sort of long-running character or a single expression of a trope that the author is very interested in - while Violet was more of an "everygirl."

All that said, it was over all an extremely good story. I enjoyed practically every minute of it. From a wordcraft perspective, it's brilliant.. It's just that in a long parade of positive comments, my contrarian nature has me wanting to express my single negative reaction. Please don't shun me.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 10:32:47 AM
I'm new here and my reaction is sightly negative. I hope I'm not breaking some taboo that will cause me to be shunned forever.

The forums are here so that everyone can discuss the stories.  It would be really boring if you were only allowed to say positive things.  Our rules here are simple:
  • 0) NO SPAM!!
  • 1) Have Fun!
  • 2) Treat everyone with respect.

Rule two means you can say the story didn't work for you, and you didn't like it.  You can point out any flaws you may see, but you can't say the author is a talentless hack and should crawl back under the rock from which they came.

Welcome to our little corner of weirdness and Have Fun!

yaksox

• Palmer
    • sunny breaks
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 01:10:41 PM
Not really my cuppa tea either. Like 90120 meets the disconcertingly disconnected not-too distant future.

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 02:10:03 PM
Like 90120 meets the disconcertingly disconnected not-too distant future.

That's sounds like the description of a horror story to me.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 04:45:28 PM
I liked it, and thought it was interesting how the assorted AI's conspired among themselves to bring the kids together. Although, to me the concept of AIs conspiring among themselves is somewhat ominous. (Terminator, anyone?).

also, for a minute there during the last part of the outro I was half convinced Norm was going to break into "never gonna give you up."

Being rickrolled by Escape Pod would be surreal. ;)

Aaron

• Extern
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 07:02:08 PM
I really enjoyed this one.

Hands down, this is the best coming of age story in a near future setting that I have ever read or listened to.

I enjoyed the story and how the ideas presented were used similar to good special effects, they don't take you out of the story, but rather they help to pull you further into the narrative.

Very good. I give it four out of five thumbs up.

r4diation

• Extern
Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 08:35:10 PM
also, for a minute there during the last part of the outro I was half convinced Norm was going to break into "never gonna give you up."

Same here.

On the whole I enjoyed the story.  I could kind of see it coming that the AIs were bringing them together, though, and I would have liked to hear more about John's role in the whole thing.

Joaquin Escudero Jr

• Extern
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 11:11:57 PM
I really loved the idea of this coming change that the blind character keeps mentioned, I would have like to hear more about, but you know what they say about leaving them wanting more.

You can read all about it in this book: The Singularity is Near

http://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Near-Humans-Transcend-Biology/dp/0143037889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253308752&sr=8-1

Thanks I'll look it up, I've been wanting something interesting to read as of late.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 05:16:47 PM
I'm admittadly easy to please. But I REALLY enjoyed this one. And now I'm sorta wanting a digital BF- if only as fill in whilst the hubs is away in Korea.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 05:27:03 PM
I'm admittadly easy to please. But I REALLY enjoyed this one. And now I'm sorta wanting a digital BF- if only as fill in whilst the hubs is away in Korea.

::raises hand::

I'm available.

scatterbrain

• Extern
Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 09:55:56 PM
My first thumb down!

Artificial Intelligence suddenly upgrading itself and doing something human resulting a humourus dilema! That's original!

A big meh from me; a complete waste of time. In fact, I'd rather watch The O.C.(even though it makes my eyes bleed uncontrollably).

Mod: shameless self promotion where it doesn't belong is a no-no.  You may put it in your signature if you want, but not in an episode comment thread.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:11:24 AM by Bdoomed »