Author Topic: Pseudopod 006: What Dead People Are Supposed to Do  (Read 8698 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: September 18, 2009, 02:49:59 PM
Pseudopod 006: What Dead People Are Supposed to Do

By Paul E. Martens
Read by Ben Phillips

Iris said it was wrong of me to have Dad brought back from the dead to work off his debts. But I didn’t ask him to run up the balances on all those credit cards. I think a son should be entitled to inherit something from his parents. Am I wrong?

Also, we are proud to be sponsored this week by the custom book binder Dreaming Mind. Beautiful custom made books, portfolios and other products.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 03:00:10 PM
I loved this story.  To this day, I chuckle when I think of it.  Zombified due to debt, hilarious.  ANd the POV character was good as well.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:38:06 PM
This really is one of my absolute favorites on PP. Whenever I think of it, it makes me smile, and then chuckle. I think I've listened to it more than any other story. It's just absolutely perfect.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:14:11 PM
OK, what you guys already said :-)

I only heard this one last week and it had me guffawing loudly and keeping my wife awake.

[SPOILERS]

I tell ya, the image of the zombie sitting dumb in the go-cart, and the image of the zombie sky-diving, still make me laugh out loud. And the protagonist was such a loser! "One of you needs to get a life" -- oh, must be dead dad!

Ben's narration was great.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 06:00:06 PM
This is one of my Pseudopod favorites.  SO funny!  Zombie bowling, zombies at strip clubs, how could it get any better.  And best of all, the fact that all the zombies both solicit credit cards and act as debt collectors is priceless.

And I love that the moral is totally lost on the protagonist in the end.   ;D

c210344

• Extern
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:56:00 AM
Hmmm, I thought at one point that his dad was only pretending to be a zombie (although I'm not sure how he would make himself rot) e.g. when he said "shit" when he was pushed out of the plane. That would have been an unpleasant twist!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:41:38 PM
I was pointed to this story by this thread.

Very entertaining. What I found most interesting was the concept that becoming a zombie to payoff your bills after you die scared people into paying their bills. I would have figured it would have the opposite effect. Why worry about paying your bills now, when you can do it as a zombie after you die. It's not like you're going to feel it, right?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 09:38:02 PM

Very entertaining. What I found most interesting was the concept that becoming a zombie to payoff your bills after you die scared people into paying their bills. I would have figured it would have the opposite effect. Why worry about paying your bills now, when you can do it as a zombie after you die. It's not like you're going to feel it, right?

Who knows if you would or not?  Do you really want to take the chance?  (Also, bear in mind religious beliefs about appropriate body disposal and what zombification might mean to them.)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 02:37:14 AM

Who knows if you would or not?  Do you really want to take the chance?  (Also, bear in mind religious beliefs about appropriate body disposal and what zombification might mean to them.)

True on an individual basis. But, considering how much our society embraces the "buy now, pay later" philosophy even in the face of deep ramifications (crushing dept, repossession, eviction, etc.), I can see society embracing zombification quite happily.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:08:37 AM
But, considering how much our society embraces the "buy now, pay later" philosophy even in the face of deep ramifications (crushing dept, repossession, eviction, etc.), I can see society embracing zombification quite happily.

Or embracing it quite apathetically.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 05:01:43 PM
Fenrix made me listen to it.  And man, this was awesome!  I agree that this could have happily lived on Podcastle.  What a charming tale!

Hmm

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 05:25:09 PM
Fenrix made me listen to it.  And man, this was awesome!  I agree that this could have happily lived on Podcastle.  What a charming tale!

Hmm

gooble gobble one of us

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 08:57:53 PM

gooble gobble one of us

Aaack!  No... I am not a horror fan.  I will NOT succomb...

Say, what's behind that door?  The one with the gobbling noises and the eerie light streaming from under it?  It wouldn't hurt to peek, would it?

Hmm

Emeraldkat

• Extern
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 04:03:35 AM
So far this is absolutely my favorite pseudopod! It was well written, witty, and of course, has a zombie dad! How could you ever go wrong with a zombie dad? Its very reminiscent of Evil Dead 2 to me. Silly with a touch of scary, and all around good fun!