Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: PC071: I'll Give In  (Read 10860 times)

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 11:45:10 AM
I wasn't terribly fond of this one. I loved the imagry presented by the maze next door- then nothing hapned with it except some horny bull moves in? Bleaugh.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 08:37:52 PM
I agree with Ms_Mac. the story was okay, the imagery was fine, but it didn't have much depth to it. The ending to me felt more like a copout. "Our relationship just wasn't the same". It was like the author only explored the immediate consequences, not the long-term. For instance, could there have been a minotaur baby? :shrug:

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 08:53:31 PM
I'm agreeing with most of the commentary on here. The world was interesting, but I think the plot needed some work. Bored housewife boinks minotaur, then gets sad about it? Nah.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 04:15:32 PM
I agree with Ms_Mac. the story was okay, the imagery was fine, but it didn't have much depth to it. The ending to me felt more like a copout. "Our relationship just wasn't the same". It was like the author only explored the immediate consequences, not the long-term. For instance, could there have been a minotaur baby? :shrug:

Interesting question. Wasn't the mythical Minotaur the result of a woman having sex with a bull?  She was so turned on by it that she hid in a wooden cow so that they could have sex, and the result was the Minotaur.  So a baby of a Minotaur would be 3/4 human 1/4 bull.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 04:23:26 PM
Before I talk about the story--yes, Dave did a great job with the intro, and I laughed out loud at the Heroes comment "Too bad they didn't make a season 2, 3, or 4"  Ha!  I'll disagree with the other commenters, I didn't think it was too long at all.  Some weeks when I really don't care for the story (like I didn't this week), I can at least be entertained by the intro person.  :)

On to the story:
This was a mainstream story with pointless fantasy window dressings.  And the window dressings weren't even attached very well.  "A minotaur moved in next door"  "did he hit on you?"  is really hard to take seriously in a world where these things are not supposed to exist in the visible eye.

And I guess mainstream with fantasy windows dressings is okay, if you like the sort of mainstream story where a person cheats on their spouse, then apologizes and they reconcile and that's all that happens.  the protagonist is not very sympathetic, which isn't always a bad thing, but I didn't really care what happened to anyone in this story.  I like Minotaurs enough that I stuck around to see what would be done with that element, and the answer is nothing.  Any sort of muscular, hairy man with no morals would have made an ample replacement.

Blech.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 05:23:15 PM
One more thing I remembered I wanted to add:

The only real tension in the story was whether she would end up hooking up with the bull-man.  Except that the result of that decision was resolved already by the title "I Will Give In".  I knew the answer to that tension question before it was even asked, so there was no potential for tension.