Author Topic: Norm Sherman co-hosting Escape Pod (or is it Mr. Nunez?)  (Read 27722 times)

ol nice

• Extern
Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 11:40:29 PM
I just registered on the forum specifically to comment about Norm's hosting job so far: Don't change a thing.
It's great when Steve hosts, but Norm kind of blew my mind. Wow. Going to check out the Drabblecast right now for more...

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 05:01:57 AM
Norm has done fine IMO

And I'll be checking out this drabblebabble stuff

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

TheOfficeTroll

• Extern
Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 07:38:59 AM
I don't mind him as an occasional host, but his style really annoys the snot out of me.  I appreciate what he's trying to do, it just rubs me the wrong way.

It's a combination of several factors for me.  His voice is a bit grating, his pacing tends to be jarring, and his humour seems to tend towards the 'this isn't funny, but if I say it you'll laugh that it's not funny.'

If he hosts on a regular basis, I will doubtless skip the vast majority of the outros and may skip the intros as well.

emjace

• Extern
Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 10:38:13 AM
As good as the little red cherry on the very last fairy cake at the party.....

Not saying that Norm is a cherry or a fairy cake! - but the smallest little thing..the short opening and closing narratives, make a great podcast even better...as long as no one licks off the icing first...

As another forum member has stated ('ol nice');

"I just registered on the forum specifically to comment about Norm's hosting job so far: Don't change a thing.
It's great when Steve hosts, but Norm kind of blew my mind. Wow. Going to check out the Drabblecast right now for more.."

.....freaky, I did the same, as a virginal forum member - now de-budded, just to add my few meager pennies worth...

Arion

• Extern
Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 03:09:28 AM
Lastly, what is the genre of the Drabblecast?   I haven't tried it yet.   If it is not sci-fi, are there other good sci-fi story podcasts out there other than EP?   
The podcast's tagline says it all.  "Strange stories, by strange authors, for strange listeners (such as yourself)"

Generally you can expect to find something that easily fits into either the SF or Fantasy pigenholes, but with a definite strange flavor.

Some stories, like the ever popular "Jelly Park" really defy categorization though, and are simply "strange."

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 03:35:31 AM
Most of Drabblecast's stories would feel right at home on one of the Escape Artists podcasts.  Not long ago they actually ran a story that had previously been on PseudoPod, although Norm's reading of it made for a new and different experience.  And as Arlon says, some, like "Jelly Park," are just strange.

I've only commented so far on the qualities of weirdness Norm brings to his hosting duties, but I like him quite a lot as a story reader, too.  He's up there with Steve and Alasdair in my mind as an excellent all-purpose male narrator.  True, in the early Drabblecasts whenever he tried to do a foreign accent he made me cringe in pain, but I'm happy to say it's been many, many Drabblecasts since I've had that problem.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 07:18:12 PM
i love norm!

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Maze

• Extern
Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 01:12:53 PM
Sorry, can't agree. I think Norm's just too forced and bad sleazy jokes just aren't insight. I think Steve, Alasdair and the PC team usually hit my wavelength in spades and I associate a natural hosting style. Norm needs to be more natural and not hide in bad voices and jokes

Unless he doesn't want to, of course.  good luck.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 02:34:07 PM
They're jokes, they're not sleazy and they don't claim to be insight. Easy enough to skip the intro if you're not a fan.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 08:50:05 PM
Easy enough to skip the intro if you're not a fan.

Not necessarily, if the listener happens to be driving.  Scroll-searching on an iPod at the wheel is almost as bad as texting.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 11:11:47 AM
Just for kicks, and to say my $0.02 worth, I'll say it again.

Norm as host -- 2 gigantic thumbs up!!

I've never listened to Drabblecast but if your wry humour on EP is any indication, I just might!

Strawman

• Extern
Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 12:02:17 PM
One thing I have thought for a very long time (far before Norm) is that EP should strongly consider splitting up each week's podcast into three files, or perhaps give subscribers the choice between a single file (with intro/story/outro) and three separate files.  I OFTEN want to share a story with a friend as a way to get them to appreciate sci-fi stories and the intro is often funny or relevant to me but completely weird/bizarre/distracting/confusing to newbies. 
This is a good idea. Norm has a new feature character on DC, Connor Choadsworth, who hosts "In Search of"  cryptozoological animals. I'm having to use Wave Pad to carve up and save the segments. If some folks only want the main course, let 'em have it. I often prefer just the appetizer and dessert. It's all about trying to please everyone all the time, no?

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 02:55:10 PM
NORM Rules!!!  I was so glad to hear that he would be in the host rotation.  Norm, keep up the good work.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 05:55:16 PM
YAY FOR NORM!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Maze

• Extern
Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 10:29:24 AM
 :D I have now listened to a few drabblecasts and really like what Norm has done with them. It does really fit together well and is really good. THe use of effects and other voices in stories is a contrast to EP (don't want it changed in either pod - just note I like both options)

Apologies for my harsh initial comments - hadn't quite dealt with the change.

good luck Norm!

BTW - to all those who said -"just skip the intro etc"
Why would I want to do that? I'm not just here for the stories - its the whole experience that makes the EA pods what they are.

Rain

• Matross
Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 04:46:55 PM
I am one of those people for whom Escape Pod = Steve Eley and the concept of other people hosting the show didnt sit well with me, but after listening to episode #216 and #217 i am officially a Norm fan, he is very different from Steve but to he did the same job of adding something extra to the story. Looking forward to more.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 04:17:03 AM
I am one of those people for whom Escape Pod = Steve Eley and the concept of other people hosting the show didnt sit well with me, but after listening to episode #216 and #217 i am officially a Norm fan, he is very different from Steve but to he did the same job of adding something extra to the story. Looking forward to more.

Agree with the above, except still not a Norm fan.  But if he can dial it back and quit trying so hard, I might come around.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 08:36:57 AM
Agree with the above, except still not a Norm fan.  But if he can dial it back and quit trying so hard, I might come around.

That's the thing, dude.  He ain't trying so hard -- he's being Norm. Unlikely he'll change.

lunastrixae

• Extern
Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 03:25:07 PM
I just want to say, I LOVE NORM! I've never heard of Drabblecast, but I'm off to subscribe to it now.

jalan

• Extern
Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 05:15:54 AM
Always late to the party. 
Anyways, because I'm just now catching up I assume the episodes with extreme Normism have been edited or whatever by now, as I clearly missed it.  So far so good though for me though.  I love Drabblecast and Escapepod, I like seeing the gametes flow.  Er... ya

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 07:01:27 AM
Always late to the party. 
Anyways, because I'm just now catching up I assume the episodes with extreme Normism have been edited or whatever by now, as I clearly missed it.  So far so good though for me though.  I love Drabblecast and Escapepod, I like seeing the gametes flow.  Er... ya
no, nothing's been changed on any past episodes.  What constituted "extreme normism" in those episodes are still there, and you not noticing it means it obviously doesnt bother you :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Pinwheel

• Extern
Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 09:34:48 PM
I like Norm.  I think he's funny, and I don't get the "trying too hard" complaint. 

Plus, the anti-Norm rant in another thread -- in which a poster bloviates that Norm should be fired for not marketing his product -- was so stuffy that I reflexively joined Team Norm. 

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 10:38:17 PM
I like Norm.  I think he's funny, and I don't get the "trying too hard" complaint. 

Plus, the anti-Norm rant in another thread -- in which a poster bloviates that Norm should be fired for not marketing his product -- was so stuffy that I reflexively joined Team Norm. 

That was me, and it was my product... you know, the stories that you download from here, for free... that's the product. And I don't bloviate. I have a vested interest in the product being presented on a professional manner.

But, hey, whatever.

I am the author, you are the audience, I outrank you.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

eytanz

Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 10:49:18 PM
That was me, and it was my product... you know, the stories that you download from here, for free... that's the product. And I don't bloviate. I have a vested interest in the product being presented on a professional manner.

You write all of the stories, now? I'm impressed.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 11:10:28 PM

You write all of the stories, now? I'm impressed.

Yes, let's nit pick. That's a great way to handle this. In my post, originally, I discussed my stories being handled this way. Pinwheel references that post.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html