Author Topic: Norm Sherman co-hosting Escape Pod (or is it Mr. Nunez?)  (Read 27718 times)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 11:21:37 PM
Before this goes further, four points to consider:

-Norm made a mistake and copped to it.

-That mistake hasn't been repeated.

-Perspectives are like hideous ties.  Chances are, everyone has a different one.  We don't have to agree with anyone else's, but we do have to respect the fact they have them.

-This is water under the bridge.  Let's move on now, please.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 11:54:52 PM
I am the author, you are the audience, I outrank you.
this made me chuckle

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 12:10:02 AM
this made me chuckle

Well, I was a little slower.  Once it was pointed out to me that it was a movie quote, I recognized it from The Producers.  I'm a little slow today.  I think it's from all the parent tax earnings from my kids' candy collections.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Pinwheel

• Extern
Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 02:32:14 AM
I like Norm.  I think he's funny, and I don't get the "trying too hard" complaint. 

Plus, the anti-Norm rant in another thread -- in which a poster bloviates that Norm should be fired for not marketing his product -- was so stuffy that I reflexively joined Team Norm. 

That was me, and it was my product... you know, the stories that you download from here, for free... that's the product. And I don't bloviate. I have a vested interest in the product being presented on a professional manner.

But, hey, whatever.

Posts that are condescending, defensive (outrank me?  seriously?), humorless, and belittling -- read like bloviating to me.   As an author, you have a vested interest in looking into that -- it'll help your writing.

I love these podcasts -- enough that I'm reading these forums, despite deciding years ago that message boards were futile.  And I understand that there are eggshells everywhere, with authors, readers, and staff all running their mouths.  But you need to chill.  (The "But, hey, whatever" just isn't convincing.)

eytanz

Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 03:42:29 AM
Before this goes further, four points to consider:

-Norm made a mistake and copped to it.

-That mistake hasn't been repeated.

-Perspectives are like hideous ties.  Chances are, everyone has a different one.  We don't have to agree with anyone else's, but we do have to respect the fact they have them.

-This is water under the bridge.  Let's move on now, please.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I agreed with jrderego's actual criticism of Norm in his original post, though I thought he was overreacting. But I would like to think that anyone who is willing to aggressively point out how other people's mistakes affect their perception of them in public, should be willing to have the same light turned upon them. Taking into account that the tone jrderego takes while responding to hosts and audience members on the forum may affect  how other audience members perceive him and his stories.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:45:44 AM by eytanz »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 04:08:33 AM

Atras

• Extern
Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 04:13:52 PM
Hey guys, I haven't read the whole thread (started to look WAY too personal-attack-y) but this week, having Steve back really made me want to say something.  I'm pretty much not a fan of Norm's hosting.  I think his humor is just not my style, there's really nothing I can do about that, and his voice is a little annoying, but there is nothing he can do about that.  I appreciate him talking the reigns for Steve, but having the original back, really made me miss him.  Thanks Norm, even if you're not my favorite.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 06:08:17 PM
I just wanted to point out that Steve never went anywhere.  :)

[Steve Eley]
...And no, this doesn't mean I'm vanishing.  I like reading things out loud too much, and, well, I like you guys too much to just go away.  That sounds cheesy, but it's true.

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #58 on: November 13, 2009, 11:05:16 AM
Steve is great.  There's a kind of science-fiction appropriate quality to his voice.  Crisp, enthusiastic, frank, sincere, always seeming to be discovering things with interest for the first time. 

But Norm kicks ass too.

They're two different people.  But they're both really good hosts who do not drop the ball (or the platter if you are from my 'Hate the 'Drop the Ball' Metaphor' support group).  Anyway, they don't. 

If hearing someone else introduce Escape Pod didn't feel jarring, then we'd have to conclude that B.F. Skinner wasted many good decades of his life. 

But if Steve needs a bit of relief time so that he can keep bringing us Steve, then this works for me.

eytanz

Reply #59 on: November 13, 2009, 11:46:33 AM
If hearing someone else introduce Escape Pod didn't feel jarring, then we'd have to conclude that B.F. Skinner wasted many good decades of his life. 

Of course he didn't. The fact that radical behaviorism is bunk doesn't mean that it wasn't important, in that it pushed people to find better approaches.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #60 on: November 13, 2009, 11:47:30 AM
Can we kill or lock this thread please?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #61 on: November 13, 2009, 02:56:05 PM

FASCIST!  Help, I'm being repressed!  ;)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #62 on: November 13, 2009, 04:27:58 PM
why?
i mean yeah it's getting kinda redundant here, but... i dunno...

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #63 on: November 13, 2009, 06:13:02 PM
why?
i mean yeah it's getting kinda redundant here, but... i dunno...

Because the subject has been addressed in the most recent EP outro, and really nothing further needs to be said about it, I think. Its getting kind of weird and uncomfortable.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #64 on: November 13, 2009, 09:03:57 PM
I think you're right.  This thread has served it's purpose and not much is gained by its going on and on.  As a closing thought, I'll end it with the comments from Steve Eley in the aforementioned outro of EP224:

There’s been a fair amount of talk on the forums lately about the hosting changes at Escape Pod, and whither Steve, and voices raised for and against Norm Sherman.  I’m kind of torn on commenting on it at all since I fell like my opinion shouldn’t automatically carry more weight that yours or anyone else’s, but at the same time, we don’t want to give the impression that nobody’s listening.

First of all, I’m not disappearing.  I am scaling back, that’s obvious; and there are reasons on my end why that’s a good thing.  But if I wanted to stop, I’d just stop, and I wouldn’t be saying this right now. 

As far as Norm goes, I like his intros.  I think he’s great.  I laughed out loud about the substitute teacher bit.  Although if there are any naked photos of me online, I have no official comment, and if you go searching for them, don’t tell me.

Any change in personalities in a show or publication is going to have some transition, some adjustment.  The reason we asked Norm to fill this role is because he has personality.  I decided consciously I’d much prefer someone who brings a different style than to risk our presentation having no style.  Framing matters. And yet, you can love Norm or hate him.  I can’t tell you you should feel any differently than you do, but, in the big picture, we’re all here for the stories.  Certainly, I’m here for the stories.  And no matter who’s talking at you in the front or back, a good story is what we really care about brining you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:07:04 PM by Swamp »