Poll

Pick your 3 favorites.  Top selections advance to the final round

TBA
0 (0%)
TBA
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Podcastle Tagline Contest Round 1  (Read 15006 times)

Jason M

on: September 27, 2009, 04:05:19 PM
Poll will stay up as long as it has to.  24 hour notice will be given prior to poll ending.  If I messed up and put a choice in twice, ignore the later entry and vote for the higher.  Only the first entry will receive votes.  Polls can't be edited without resetting them.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:00:42 PM
I liked "One pod to rule them all", but I don't know if that represents the scope of Podcastle.  Podcaste is a kaliedescope of fantasy.  Wait a minute.  Why didn't I enter that as a tagline for the contest?  Oh well. Too late.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:37:21 PM
PodCastle: the fantasy will not be televised, because it's a Podcastle. Podcast.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 02:33:38 AM
And I know people have voted for it, but the Me Likey one really goes against the no-ethnically-derived-slurs ethos in the PC subfora.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 02:44:24 AM
And I know people have voted for it, but the Me Likey one really goes against the no-ethnically-derived-slurs ethos in the PC subfora.

Ethnically derived?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 03:17:40 AM

Ethnically derived?

Rachel does this better, and, er, already did with "Me Likey" — http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=2216.0

I don't really want to get into it again, so~.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 03:53:31 AM
Curious to what degree the smackdown falls on humor that was distantly ethnically derived, and whether ot not it's limited to Asian.

Just sayin. If you're going to analyze one statement, analyze them all.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:05:53 AM
Curious to what degree the smackdown falls on humor that was distantly ethnically derived, and whether ot not it's limited to Asian.

Just sayin. If you're going to analyze one statement, analyze them all.

Ok, personally I don't like it as a tagline. I think EA as a whole tries for something other than crowd-pleasing, and me likey implies a somewhat simpler aesthetic than at work for something like, say, Hell is the Absence of God.

Regardless of if it's funny, which I suppose it could be used rightly, I don't really thing it actually implies anything about PodCastle to the reader. Some of the others do, like the LOTR one.

And regardless of if it says anything useful, this one in particular got a smackdown from the editor of the 'cast, and would likely be subject to a veto.

So, er, sorry to whoever came up with it, but I just don't think that one's going to work. Trying for a single tagline/summation is difficult. None of the Podcasts can really be winnowed down to a single thing, though SF/F/H get closest.

I'm not going to go line by line because that would A. Take a lot of time, and B. Be very rude. This one got singled out because of institutional knowledge. (Though, if I was going to apply that institutional knowledge elsewhere, I'd note that Episode 21 makes one of them simply false.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:08:44 AM by Heradel »

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:02 AM
The idea that "Me likey" is a racial slur is absurd.  Every time I've seen this in mass media it has been used as a reference to a child's response.  This tagline shouldn't be used because it's stupid. 

I think the reason it is getting so many votes is because of the argument Rachel had before.  The forumites are showing that they found racism charge to be stupid.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 05:21:21 AM
The idea that "Me likey" is a racial slur is absurd.  Every time I've seen this in mass media it has been used as a reference to a child's response.  This tagline shouldn't be used because it's stupid. 

I think the reason it is getting so many votes is because of the argument Rachel had before.  The forumites are showing that they found racism charge to be stupid.

3 votes out of a possible 14 isn't exactly so many votes. Granted, my pointing this out is probably going to end up being like observing subatomic particles, but we're not really talking mass rebellion.

Do kids say similar things, yes, but that doesn't disqualify any racial roots it may have, and which one could avoid.

This argument was already had and locked, I started out saying I didn't want to refight it because good lord we all have better things to do than argue about this quirk of moderation. For instance, I am now going to sleep.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 05:34:27 AM
I've reset the votes. Please feel free to vote again.

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 05:39:07 AM

Do kids say similar things, yes, but that doesn't disqualify any racial roots it may have, and which one could avoid.

By that standard you can't have any phrase that in non-standard grammar that isn't racist.  Since it doesn't matter where it started, you can draw parallels to anything.

Also I couldn't see how many votes it had, because it had already been edited out.  Would have been easier just to let it go on to round 2. Then if it won; you call it stupid, say it won't be used, and take choice number 2.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 05:49:54 AM
The entry was clearly not included because someone thought it would make a good tagline. If it was, it would have been suggested for all the podcasts as there's nothing about it which suggests fantasy. It was, instead, clearly included because someone wanted to dig at me.

It is obviously inappropriate to advertise a magazine with the dig to the editor. It would not have been permitted for entries on the other podcasts to say things like (referencing earlier flame wars) "Escape Pod: where the polyamorists don't shut up" or "Pseudopod: where we think raping and murdering women is awesome."

There's not a magic exception because it's me instead of Ben or Steve.

And that subject is closed now.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 06:08:49 AM
And that subject is closed now.

Agreed 100%
anyone has a problem with that has to deal with me too, I was kind of annoyed that the aforementioned choice was put into final voting, I didn't want it there.

edit: ummm if this topic was locked before i posted i'm sorry for posting, didn't realize :P still, i support this!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:32:53 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?