Author Topic: PC072: The Exit Sign  (Read 22004 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: September 30, 2009, 04:11:55 PM
PodCastle 072: The Exit Sign

by Ursula Pflug.
Read by (of Christiana Ellis).

You and I were different. Making love on sprawling landings we learned that one way of life wasn’t better than another, and that we all shared the same ultimate misery, doomed to be born and die in this building. Who’d made this place? Had we built it ourselves generations ago when we still had legs to run from something fierce and predatory that circled our tower, waiting for travellers: the jumpers, the fliers, those with the twisted bed sheet ropes?

Rated R. for sex and dismemberment in enclosed places.

Edited to fix Christiana's URL -- Rachel.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:33:19 PM by Rachel Swirsky »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

l33tminion

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:17:25 AM
This was probably my least favorite PodCastle story, although I am a fan of surrealism in general.

It's kind of an impressive feat to craft such a strange setting, than turn it into something so hit-you-over-the-head dull.  Let me see if I get this straight:  The upper class invents everything good, but also everything bad, destroys the planet, and has lost touch with their spirituality.  The lower class is hearty and honest, but also violent, dirty perverts, whose lack of mobility (isn't it clever, symbolizing a lack of figurative mobility with a lack of literal mobility?) is their own fault.  But maybe their children will escape from the situation they're in with enough communication / love / friendship / interbreeding.

If you base your stories on stereotypes, they should at least be interesting stereotypes or have interesting implications plot-wise.

I liked the exposition at first, but then it started to feel like details were just being crammed in ("oh by the way I forgot to mention") without any regard to the flow of what little plot there was.  And a lot of the plot felt like I was being told "this interesting thing happened" without the telling being actually interesting.

Ugh.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 02:47:11 PM
Very occasionally, a story comes out where the use of second person overcomes the annoyance and pretentiousness of that device to contribute something really worthwhile to the narrative. This was not such a story.

Indeed, annoyance and pretentiousness were the two main impressions I got from this otherwise extremely uninspired (and uninspiring) piece. It's basically a bland, cliche'd, and uninteresting story that thinks it has something to say, and this lack of self-awareness is its weakest point.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 05:09:53 PM
Yeah. I guess I'm NOT one of those people who likes surreal romances.

Next?

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

eytanz

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:17:51 PM
Yeah. I guess I'm NOT one of those people who likes surreal romances.

I love surreal romances. I hated this story. Don't judge the genre by this one example of it...

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 05:22:15 PM
I love surreal romances. I hated this story. Don't judge the genre by this one example of it...
I think it's more the "surreal" part than the "romance" part that turned me off. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:25:30 PM
M.K. Hobson's introductions never fail to make me grin.

eytanz

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 05:31:31 PM
M.K. Hobson's introductions never fail to make me grin.

You know, I should have pointed this out, especially given the negativity I've heaped so far on this thread - the introduction was really, really great.

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:11:37 PM
I also did not enjoy this story, for pretty much the same reasons given above. Plus, I was annoyed by a lack of internal logic- eg, at one point we are told about people jumping from the upper storey or escaping with knotted bedsheets; the next we are told there are no windows. Or, there are windows downstairs- so why do you need an Exit sign? And how do windows go rusty? Why haven't the grenades just destroyed the whole building? How come the protagonist's stairwell doesn't get bombed, if that's where the grenades get thrown?Also, at first, we are told nobody can travel between stories, but actually all you need to do is crawl down some stairs. Another annoyance I have with this type of story is the constant use of generalisms and a lack of concrete examples, as in the descriptions of the abusive relationships on the lower storey. I just couldn't visualise what was actually being discussed; even surrealism needs some kind of reality and solidity to it (IMHO). This kind of symbolic tale can be told well - just look at Gormenghast- but this was symbolism without substance. Finally, the narrator was good, but the way the story was written made it difficult for her to put much life into the reading, so every sentence ended on a melancholic dying fall. Sorry, but the whole story was depressing and rather irritating.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:40:55 PM
There are a bunch of stories that take place with the conceit that the entire world is a building with no outside. I call them house stories. I admit to an unreasonable love for the genre. My favorite example is Tad Williams -- one of the worlds in his Otherworld series takes place in an enormous house with shifting architecture where tribes of men have grown and fallen.

I think this story is one of that genre, which is why I personally didn't have visualization trouble -- I had a framework to put the prose into. But maybe other people were seeing something different?

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 07:03:18 PM
For me, it was not so much the house idea that I had problems visualising, it was how life actually worked. I found this story had too much "tell" and not enough "show". There was a lot of generalisations about how relationships worked, what the people were like, but very few actual examples of stuff happening. In the moments when something real happened, it was pretty evocative - eg the narrator's description of her mother preparing for the dinner party and the green glasses catching the light - I found that powerful and got a really strong sense of emotion and place- but I found that those moments just didn't come often enough.
Too much of the story was like the passage describing relationships on the lower storey, which talks about how the women think they have found something different, but then glance themselves in the mirror and realise they are the abuser, etc- I find this manner of writing passive and uninvolving, and feel that it gives the impression of high-mindedness without having the depth to back up that affectation. I would rather hear a recollection of a real incident, or see something genuine being played out. In a similar way, apparently everyone has no legs, but it doesn't actually seem to affect them in any real way. Apart from having problems with stairs, everything goes on the same - from having dinner parties to playing the piano. Now I'm not saying that those with no legs can't live a fulfilling life, but I do think that a whole society where nobody has legs might encounter a little more difficulty than not being able to get downstairs easily. When I visualise these people, they have legs, because there is nothing to make me believe they don't, apart from the narrator's original assertion. I do understand it's a fantastic story, and I'm not demanding utter realism from a surrealistic piece but there is an intrinsic lack of truth and depth.

AliceNred

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 10:31:48 PM
I did not care for this. I wish I could express what it was but others have and that may have to do for now.

Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.

Old Marshmallow

• Extern
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 12:27:54 AM
Both this story and its narration annoyed me to the point I felt compelled to register on the forum and spill my gall.

To my ears it felt as if there weren't a story being told, but that one was being lectured with the indulgent, wallowing drivel of a mewling, immature and overly self-righteous soul.  While I prayed that this was just a phase in the story, the grating tone continued throughout its entirety, without variance and without a note of hope for something better.  The examples of the various forms of abuse the building residents inflicted upon themselves and others became gratuitous - the author simply pushing one emotional button after another to try and get a sympathetic reaction from the reader/listener.

I want to give Christiana Ellis the benefit of the doubt and listen to other readings by her before I let my opinion become set.  With this story, though, I don't find myself hoping for much better.

wiz

• Extern
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:19:56 AM
There's an interesting story to be told in this universe.  I hope to hear it some day.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 08:42:02 AM
I was pretty underwhelmed.  It reminded me of "Secret Life," by Jeff VanderMeer (PodCastle #46, for reference.)  Except... "Secret Life" was fascinating in its internal logic and interwoven stories, full of hints and nuance and things left unsaid, whereas this story just sort of thudded things down in front of you like a cafeteria lady presenting your Meatloaf Surprise.  I think the general consensus thus far of "Too much telling, not enough showing" holds very true for me.  I love surreal stuff and I love symbolism, but if you explain your symbolism to me in the darned story, it takes all of the fun out of it.  I don't really need you to tell me that the Exit Sign actually is your child, who is made of two worlds coming together, you see, just like this relationship you've been telling me about (but not showing) for fifteen minutes.  I got that, thanks.  Pretty clear. 

Have you ever had to explain the punchline of a joke?  Not very funny after that, is it?  There's probably a reason for that.

SirJolt

• Palmer
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 12:00:20 AM
I hate to join the tide, but this one was really just... well, I hesitate to just say "dreadful" and leave it at that.

The characters and people in the setting felt as though they were constructed to set a scene, not as any kind of response to their situations. Dull city :(

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 12:16:47 AM
Great intro, great outro, and I enjoyed the reading. The story had some memorable moments and flashes of brilliance, but I have to say I agree with most of what has been said about the story already.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 09:07:34 PM
I was pretty underwhelmed.  It reminded me of "Secret Life," by Jeff VanderMeer (PodCastle #46, for reference.) 

Yes, "Secret Life" ... I'd forgotten the title and was going to say that this story put me in mind of the one that was a bunch of vignettes set in an office building.

I didn't like that story either.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 11:29:34 AM
Couldn't decided if I liked this or not. The world inside a house/building idea was interesting. The MC was interesting. Overall- though the chain of conciousness telling was a little to loosey goosey for me

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 07:33:45 PM
Should I go against the tide and say I loved it?  Nah.  M K Hobson did a great job with the intro and Christiana Ellis as usual did a great job telling this story.  I couldn't tell why I hated this story so much, maybe it was that there were too many bad stereotypes.  Maybe it was that there was no clear direction or plot.   Whatever it was I can't place a finger on it and say ah-ha that is what is wrong with it.   Now the "House" stories never bother me, I sort of liked Secret Life but this one just fell flat.

Two thumbs, with sparkling green glass pins under the finger nails, down

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 10:22:12 PM
One of the very few Podcastle episodes I couldn't finish.  Checking the feedback here, seems I made a good call on turning it off.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 03:54:02 AM
Yeah, I'm afraid I listened to about 5 minutes before skipping it, something I rarely do. My apologies, but it was mainly the reading turned me off -- it seemed like it was a bit of a chore to the reader, which doesn't help.

natashafairweather

• Extern
Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 06:17:42 PM
The only reason I got all the way through this was because I had dish gloves on and didn't want the hassle of removing them. What a dreadful story. "Upper class people are like this and lower class people are like this! Amirite?" Whoa. I felt bludgeoned by the message.

I love house stories - Secret Life, the part in Tad Williams' Otherland series. I love surrealism, romance. Just not this one.

Great intro and outro though!

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 03:27:38 PM
I thought I posted my thoughts on this one already, but I guess I didn't. I'm all for weird, surreal stories, but this was just too hard to follow. Probably would be better reading this one than listening to it. On the plus side, I got mentioned in the feedback section for "Daughter of Batu", so woo-hoo! It paid off to listen to the whole thing.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 05:55:15 PM
I was unimpressed by this story.  The world as a building metaphor was already visited by a previous story "Secret Life".  The plot was predictable about 10 minutes into it.  The characters seemed one-dimensional and never really seem to develop for me.  The artificially constructed caste system of dirty perverts and clean polite-society seems contrived and hackneyed.  I also strongly object to the antiquated and victorian metaphor of equating sex to filth/corruption, perversion, sado-masichism, etc.  The author also seemed like she kept on preaching some sort of "let's all get along" or "we're all imperfect and yet perfect together" message.  Not that I don't mind the sentiment, but after the fifth or sixth time of having that same message being hammered down your throat, it gets a bit old.  Maybe I'm expecting too much, and maybe this is supposed to be a YA story, but I don't really subscribe to the idea that you have to dumb-down stories for younger readers.