Author Topic: PodCastle needs Spanish-speaking narrators  (Read 7568 times)

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
on: October 01, 2009, 09:10:45 PM
Hi y'all,

PodCastle needs a male Spanish speaker to narrate an upcoming story. You don't have to be fluent of course; but it would be good if your pronunciation sounded as if you were.

We also periodically need female Spanish speakers, so any female applicants would be appreciated, too.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:42:35 AM
Well I can speak Spanish but I don't have a "good" mic nor have I read anything professionally before... but I could try?
I mean I know how to use Audacity, I could put stuff up to kill background noise, and my mic isn't bad it's just not good :P.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:52:03 AM
If you could put together an audition recording, that would be awesome.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:02:33 AM
Any stories you recommend me reading as an audition? As in the same general tone? Otherwise I'd be reading "A Cask of Amontillado" because I love that story.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 07:57:48 AM
Cask is great (I love that story, too!) -- but if you could throw in some spanish, that would be useful, too. Anarkey speaks spanish fluently and was born in Argentina, I believe, so she has a good ear for these things.

We don't need too much -- just maybe 3 minutes to get a feel for voice and performance, and maybe a couple more minutes tacked on for Spanish?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:28 AM
a'ight, yo puedo hacer esto. Voy a buscar para un paisaje para leer.
pero ahora yo duermo porque estoy cansado.

:D haven't flexed my spanish muscle in a bit.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:55:38 PM
Hi, sorry to butt in.  Bdoomed, for the Spanish sentences can you read and record one of the poems from the links below? Or part of one?  I'm sure it won't take more than three sentences or so to tell, but if you feel comfortable reading a whole one that would be great.

And whomever else stumbles on this thread and wishes to can also record an audio test of any one of these.

http://www.poesiaspoemas.com/octavio-paz/como-quien-oye-llover

http://www.poemas-del-alma.com/ausencia.htm

http://www.poemas-del-alma.com/la-caricia-perdida.htm

http://www.poemas-del-alma.com/pablo-neruda-fabula-de-la-sirena-y-los-borrachos.htm

http://www.poemas-del-alma.com/pablo-neruda-llueve.htm

And, for recordkeeping purposes, I moved to Argentina at 4 months old.  I was born in the U.S.  The difference is small, true, but nonetheless there, and I'd hate to misrepresent myself as Latin American. 

My mother claims I screamed my head off for most of the flight.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:13:37 AM
So you pronounce 'yo' as 'jo'?
i tend to do that sometimes for some reason.

I'll be able to start recording something on Tuesday, and editing it might take a bit depending on messups/etc.  But I will try to flesh it out as fast as possible :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:17:44 AM by Bdoomed »

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:48:19 PM
So you pronounce 'yo' as 'jo'?
i tend to do that sometimes for some reason.

I would self-identify as a speaker of Castillian, yes, with its attendant yeísmo in "yo" and "lluvia".  I also commonly use "vos" for the second person singular, with its sometimes slightly variant conjugation of second person.  Except when I'm teaching, when I try really hard to speak more neutral Spanish and less blatantly Rioplatense.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 06:09:19 PM
My mother-in-law is Mexican, but the word for "chicken" in her particular dialect is not pollo but gallina.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 09:58:33 PM
My mother-in-law is Mexican, but the word for "chicken" in her particular dialect is not pollo but gallina.

Probably, in her dialect, it is the same as in the rest of Spanish America where "pollo" is the edible (i.e. dead) chicken and "gallina" is hen.  Gallina can also be food, but you'd be talking about a specific type of bird you'd killed to eat (like a stewing hen maybe?  or a hen that no longer lays?), and not the generic we-don't-know-where-it-came-from-because-it's-mcnuggets-now chicken.

The same things applies to fish.  It's a "pez" until you're eating it (or staring at its glassy eyes on a bed of ice), then it's "pescado" (which means fished or caught, as well as fish one eats).

There's a similar dichotomy in pork where "cerdo" is more often referring to the food, though not exclusively and "puerco" or "chancho" is more often referring to the animal and rarely used for the food.  Also, lechón is pork meat, but only from a very young pig...like veal pigs, I guess?  I don't think English has a word for pig-veal, but it's delicious!  In Louisiana, we'd call it "cochon du lait".  Is there a commonly used English word for that?

Generally speaking, there's tons and tons of food specific words in Spanish.  I can't claim there's more than in English, but it seems to my subjective ear to be so. 

I'm still confused about citrus, and there are fruits and vegetables I don't even know the name of in English.

Man, I'm hungry now.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 07:27:29 AM
just an update:
i started recording it, but need to edit my workspace a bit.  I achieved awesome sound quality at one point and I just need to work on keeping it that way.
However, I have been inundated with schoolwork so it will be delayed some more.  Sorry!

Maria

• Palmer
    • Maria Deira
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 04:47:34 AM
Just wanted to say that I think it's great you're seeking out Spanish-speaking readers. I considered sending in a sample, but I'm not a good reader. Looking forward to hearing the stories involved and finding out who wrote them. I've been wanting to connect with other Mexican/Hispanic/Latin@-American writers but it's been difficult and I guess I just don't know how to go about it! Sometimes I just feel like we're part of an invisible group.

ahutson

• Extern
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 07:10:42 AM
I just stumbled on this.  Am a big fan of Podcastle and would love to help out.  Do you still need someone to read in Spanish (or French)?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 08:05:09 AM
AAAH no! competition!
:P
i JUST recently figured out how to get rid of that ANNOYING airy noise behind my voice, and recorded  myself reading one of the poems, specifically http://www.poemas-del-alma.com/la-caricia-perdida.htm

also recorded the beginning of The Cask of Amontillado

not a perfect reading but it's just a sample, and I would take more care with a story/final product.
where should I send the recording?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 08:15:22 PM by Bdoomed »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 01:50:33 PM
I just stumbled on this.  Am a big fan of Podcastle and would love to help out.  Do you still need someone to read in Spanish (or French)?

Always :) Please send us a sample.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 04:03:44 AM
I can pronounce Japanese better than the reader of "When Shakko Did Not Lie" did.  :P

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising