Author Topic: EP Flash: Pennywhistle  (Read 3289 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 04, 2009, 08:00:22 PM
EP Flash: Pennywhistle

By Greg van Eekhout.
Read by Anna Eley.

“Piper,” I screamed, fumbling in my purse. Too late. He brought his pipe to his lips and blew a note that almost made my eyeglasses shatter. Over at the sandbox, Nathan rose to his feet. He started moving towards the man. All the children did.

Rated R. Contains graphic violence and disturbing images.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:23:23 PM
I know this is out of character for me, but I really love this story.  There is something about it that appeals to me, the turning of an old theme, the inventiveness of Greg van Eekhout, the twist ending, I don't know.  It probably comes from reading too much Edgar Allen Poe as a kid and enjoying it.  Horror is hit and miss with me.  If it is violent and bloddy, just for the sake of being violent and bloody, then it's not for me.  I know there are several types of horror.  Pseudopod is proof of that.  But this story comes from the time when there was only EscapePod, and I have always liked it.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:52 PM
Loved it!

This is a great horror story! I didn't see the twist coming, and the resolution was chilling and scary as hell.  Fighting mind control with mind control.  And I like flash fiction that keeps me wondering.  Such as:  where do these pipers come from?