Author Topic: Science Fiction Novel Poll - Group A  (Read 12493 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: October 07, 2009, 05:27:10 PM
Welcome to the first round of the Great Science Fiction Novel poll!  Rules and setup were posted a few days ago over in the SF Discussion board.

Short version: there are going to be eight polls like this, with 11 books each.  The two highest vote getters from each week's poll will advance to a second round.  Vote for as many books as you like.  Obviously, if you vote for all of them your votes don't count for much.  So you may want to abstain from voting for some novels you enjoyed, especially if they are more widely read, and you'd prefer that some of the more obscure but excellent works advance.  Of course, that's all up to you.

And the real point of this is of course to foster discussion!  So post and talk about your favorites and why you love them!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:29:30 PM by Ocicat »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:47:43 PM
Heh. I voted for the ones I liked that I read. This is going to be one of the polls that makes me feel woefully under-read, though, isn't it?  ;)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 05:53:56 PM
It makes me feel under read!  I've actually read five of these books.  But I like that there are more obscure works in there, even if I don't personally know if they are good or not.  And if one of the ones you haven't read advances, maybe you'll have time to read it before the second round starts!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:00:30 PM
Almost voted for "Ilium" because Mr Simmons is one of my favourite authors -- but I can't in good conscience because I haven't read that one. Also, "The Terror" was... odd. And really really long.

It's funny, there's two or three there I feel I "should" vote for because they're so often cited as classics of the genre. "Canticle" is a good example. I've read that one and enjoyed it but it didn't make a lasting impression on me.

As to favourites, "Permutation City" offered me one of those wonderful sci-fi moments where a concept hits you hard and really makes you think about the nature of things. Y'know what I mean? Some kind of epiphany?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:05:40 PM by kibitzer »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:18:13 PM
I've read only four of these.

Ringworld got my only vote.

The Martian Chronicles was ... okay.

Friday ... meh.

The Left Hand of Darkness bored me.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:16 PM
Havent read a-one of this particular set.

I tried to read Blindsight. I really did. Cory Doctorow raved about it on BoingBoing.

But i just couldnt get into it, and left it on the floor for awhile.

And then my cat peed on it so I had to throw it away.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:06:30 PM
what is the poll for?  personal favourite?  best overall?  most important? 

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:11:09 PM
what is the poll for?  personal favourite?  best overall?  most important? 

You tell me.

Everyone is going to use their own criteria anyway.  The second round polls, that will be one book vs. another will probably ask "which do you like best" same as the old film polls did.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:50 PM
Wow woefully underread.  I have heard of Ringworld but never read it.  Left hand of Darkness and The Martian Chronicles were the only two I have read, most I wasn't even familiar with.  I thought both LHoD and the Martian Chronicles were both kind of Meh.  I liked LHoD a little more than Martian Chronicles, but I think Leguin is much better at writing fantasy than Sci.Fi.  I think I tend to read more Fantasy and Horror but I also enjoy some scifi as well. 

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 01:01:51 AM
I can't think of one Bradbury that I've liked. Perhaps I haven't read enough. To be honest, I'm not that sold on Heinlein either.

I know this is becoming a bit of a refrain with me... sorta sorry... but Greg Egan is an Aussie author. He writes really intelligent hard sci-fi and is the author of one of my all-time favourite short sci-fi stories, "Reasons To Be Cheerful."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:04:05 AM by kibitzer »

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:07:59 AM
It occurs to me that "Ilium" is an odd choice for Dan Simmons. Sure The Hyperion Cantos is a better pick?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 03:33:15 PM
I can't think of one Bradbury that I've liked. Perhaps I haven't read enough. To be honest, I'm not that sold on Heinlein either.

Have you tried any of his horror stuff? Like his collection "The October Country" or "Something Wicked This Way Comes"?

I enjoy the Martian Chronicles - mostly as a nostalgic view into what people thought about Mars colonization so many years ago. But I like his horror stuff and Fahrenheit 451 much, much more.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 05:26:01 PM
:( i haven't read any of these! *runs off to sob in a corner*

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 06:20:39 PM
It occurs to me that "Ilium" is an odd choice for Dan Simmons. Sure The Hyperion Cantos is a better pick?

Lots of authors have many entries in the poll, but it's organized so no group has two from the same author.  Hyperion will show up later.  Heck, Heinlein is in five of the eight groups!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 05:29:37 AM

Lots of authors have many entries in the poll, but it's organized so no group has two from the same author.  Hyperion will show up later.  Heck, Heinlein is in five of the eight groups!

Bloody Heinlein. Always with the show-boating.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 05:30:44 AM
:( i haven't read any of these! *runs off to sob in a corner*

It's alright, we still love you! Of course, you're expected to have read all 10 by the time the next pool is up. I shall provide a short yet terrifying exam to make sure.

eytanz

Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 09:54:39 AM
I take the fact that Bester isn't in the top 3 as an indication that few people have read "The Stars my Destination", as I simply cannot believe that any sane person who read it would vote for "Ringworld" in its stead.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 12:39:51 PM
Blindsight, Blindsight, Blindsight!

Unfortunately, many many of the people I recommend it to tell me it's too brainy and/or too complicated and/or lacking sympathetic characters (and one of my friends said it was too mathy, which boggled me because I'm liberal arts all over and found it just the right amount of mathy).  So I don't expect it to do well here, alas.  But it's sooooooooooooooooooooo good.  Loved, loved, loved it. 

Loved.  It. 

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

eytanz

Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 01:18:30 PM

Unfortunately, many many of the people I recommend it to tell me it's too brainy and/or too complicated and/or lacking sympathetic characters (and one of my friends said it was too mathy, which boggled me because I'm liberal arts all over and found it just the right amount of mathy).  So I don't expect it to do well here, alas.  But it's sooooooooooooooooooooo good.  Loved, loved, loved it. 

Loved.  It. 

Interesting - I've never heard of it before, but now I definitely want to read it. And it's easy to do so, since the whole book appears to be available as a creative-commons text on Peter Watts' site: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm (note - the link goes to the webpage version, but there's a download link at the top of the page for those who want a PDF).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:20:58 PM by eytanz »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 04:28:13 PM
I take the fact that Bester isn't in the top 3 as an indication that few people have read "The Stars my Destination", as I simply cannot believe that any sane person who read it would vote for "Ringworld" in its stead.

For me, yes. See woefully under-read comment above. :)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 06:08:49 PM

Loved.  It. 

Interesting - I've never heard of it before, but now I definitely want to read it. And it's easy to do so, since the whole book appears to be available as a creative-commons text on Peter Watts' site: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm (note - the link goes to the webpage version, but there's a download link at the top of the page for those who want a PDF).

Huh. Maybe ill give it another shot, then. Didnt want to rebuy after the cat pee incident. But free, I'll try.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 03:21:50 PM

I've read 5 of the 10 books, including "The Stars my Destination".  I didn't like that book at all, so I didn't vote for it.  I also didn't vote for "Ringworld" because I've never read it and have no desire to.  I have a first edition of "The Gripping Hand" that I got at a lecture/book signing by Jerry Pournelle when I was in college.  I've tried reading that thing 3 times and I just can't get into it.   So, I'm not interested in picking up "Ringworld".

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 04:54:55 PM
I have a first edition of "The Gripping Hand" that I got at a lecture/book signing by Jerry Pournelle when I was in college.  I've tried reading that thing 3 times and I just can't get into it.   So, I'm not interested in picking up "Ringworld".

The Gripping Hand is the wholly unnecessary sequel to Niven and Pournelle's The Mote in God's Eye; I wouldn't use that as the metric to judge the rest of their work.

And Pournelle was nowhere near Ringworld ... Niven did write some stories all by himself, just so you know.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 05:26:17 PM
I have a first edition of "The Gripping Hand" that I got at a lecture/book signing by Jerry Pournelle when I was in college.  I've tried reading that thing 3 times and I just can't get into it.   So, I'm not interested in picking up "Ringworld".

The Gripping Hand is the wholly unnecessary sequel to Niven and Pournelle's The Mote in God's Eye; I wouldn't use that as the metric to judge the rest of their work.

And Pournelle was nowhere near Ringworld ... Niven did write some stories all by himself, just so you know.

It's just really hard to not associate the two authors.  There is an awful lot to read out there and I read just about every genre except romance.  When I go to a bookstore or library, I base my choices on books that I've heard great things about or on authors I've liked.  I tend to pass on authors or books I associate with authors or books I didn't like.  It may not be the best way, but it's been working pretty well so far.  Since I've been active on GoodReads, I rarely pick up a clunker anymore.  I'm finding that I just don't have enough years in my life to read everything I want to read.  I know I'm going to miss out on some great books no matter what.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 07:06:02 PM
I'm finding that I just don't have enough years in my life to read everything I want to read.  I know I'm going to miss out on some great books no matter what.

This.  I'm almost never looking for books to read.  I'm almost always looking for reasons NOT to read books that people recommend to me.  The most facile of reasons will do.  I can't worry that the book might be good and I might be missing it.  There's always another good book in its place, which I will not be missing.

And I, also, have never read any of the Ringworld books and feel completely ok with that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:07:49 PM by Anarkey »

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!