Escape Artists
April 16, 2014, 12:36:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EP017: The Life and Times of Penguin  (Read 946 times)
Swamp
Hipparch

« on: October 10, 2009, 10:04:10 PM »

EP017: The Life and Times of Penguin

By Eugie Foster.
Read by Mur Lafferty.

Penguin listened raptly to the new voice. He knew this was his guardian angel, she who would guard and protect him forever. Sure enough, the Creator set him gently into his angel’s hand. Her hands, much smaller than the Creator’s–which was fitting since who among the angels had such power as the Creator?–were a bit sticky. He squealed as she held him aloft to receive the glorious light.

“Look, Daddy! It’s a peng’n!”

“Yes it is, Angie. It’s a very nice penguin. Did you thank the nice man for the balloon?”

Rated PG. Contains explicit existentialism and violence of the soul. (The intro contains minor profanity and frank discussions of current events, and is likely to be more offensive than the story.)

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »

An enjoyable story with lots of great philosophy.  Sort of a Toy Story meets Nietzche.

And besides that, it is an extremely well-done unreliable narrator point of view, how the penguin views things is very interesting, and how the balloon man is seen as the creator and infallible god, sort of like The Claw on Toy Story.

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:31:25 PM »

An enjoyable story with lots of great philosophy.  Sort of a Toy Story meets Nietzche.

And besides that, it is an extremely well-done unreliable narrator point of view, how the penguin views things is very interesting, and how the balloon man is seen as the creator and infallible god, sort of like The Claw on Toy Story.

The little girl did put me in mind of Sid from Toy Story.

This was the first Eugie Foster story I ever encountered.  Though I did enjoy it, at the time I had no idea how much I would come to love her work.  Another collection please, Mrs. F!

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: