Author Topic: EP031: Robots and Falling Hearts  (Read 3889 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 11, 2009, 11:06:12 PM
EP031: Robots and Falling Hearts

By Tim Pratt with Greg van Eekhout.
Read by Alex Wilson.

I paused to tie a loose shoelace and a squat robot, like a dirty white trashcan on tank-treads, trundled out of an alley toward me. A red light on top of its domelike top blinked erratically. It said, in a high-pitched voice, “Klaatu barada nikto.” A small panel slid open in its front, and a pole with a cup on the end telescoped out. There were a few coins in the cup, mostly pennies and nickels, and the robot jingled the cup significantly.

“Take me to your leader,” I said, wishing it could be that simple, knowing that these things are never that simple. The robot beeped at me and jingled its cup harder, the coins rattling.

“It won’t go away unless you give it some change,” said a woman standing on the corner. “It followed me all the way to work one day, and hung around outside the door like a dog for hours.”

Rated PG. Contains slight profanity, long flirtations, and excessive Zen. Watch for falling metaphors.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:49:44 PM
I really liked this one and it didn't go at all in any direction I anticipated.  The beginning was interesting for the quirks of the bots, but it got way more interesting when we learned that the internals of the bots made no scientific sense--which makes perfect sense with the premise since she's not an engineer she doesn't know how all that stuff works.  She's seen the mechanical parts, but any creation of hers is liable to just be a movie "prop" type robot.

The juxtaposition of spiritual gurus and robot-creating minds was very cool!