Author Topic: EP039: My Friend is a Lesbian Zombie  (Read 7740 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 12, 2009, 02:56:36 PM
EP039: My Friend is a Lesbian Zombie

By Eugie Foster.
Read by Word Whore.

I don’t know how it happened. I’m the last person I’d go to if I were a zombie; I’m not into the occult thing at all. But I was the only friend Mandy had in this city, so she came to me with her sob story. Lucky me. So there she was, kicked back in my bed, having herself a good, long cry and I was stuck with her, wondering how long until she began stinking. That was really unfair of me, I know, but there was a goddamn walking, talking corpse snuggled up in my good sheets and I was a little concerned about it.

Rated X. Contains profanity, sexual situations, and the undead, in various combinations.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:06:13 AM
woot for zombies and lesbians!  I never thought about combineing them, but what ever, this story was pretty cool.  When I saw the title of this story I wasn't sure it was gonna be a good one, but I liked it.   If some crazy necromancer girl could fall in love with a female zombie I would have to say that just about any thing is possible.  Good story :)

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:12:24 PM
This is one of those titles that I love.  Fortunately, the story was able to back it up and remain enjoyable.  (Nothing worse than an awesome title ruined by a middling story.) 

It does what it says on the tin.  Vaguely Buffy-esque, I felt.

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 03:25:15 AM
(Nothing worse than an awesome title ruined by a middling story.) 

I agree, fortunately it was good.

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 04:06:10 AM
Awesome title.  I listened to this back when I was still in the process of discovering podcast fiction, and the author's name meant nothing to me.  I remembered the title, forgot the author.

Then a few weeks ago I went back to look it up, and I realized, EUGIE FOSTER wrote this? Sweet!  I have similar happy realizations when I rediscover a story I remember liking years ago and I realize Scott Sigler wrote it.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 05:45:01 AM
I'd forgotten it was a Eugie Foster story, too!  It just seems so far from what I think of as her "usual" stories, i.e. strongly influenced by (if not outright retellings of) Japanese folklore.  I think wide variety of tone, voice, and subject is one of the signs of a very skilled author.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 07:10:21 AM
I love this story!  I mean, not only is it a great story, but it is read by TWW! :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:47:12 PM
Eugie Foster's got range, no doubt about it. You all should check out some of her PP stories. There's some other horror stories over there, many of removed from folklore, that are worth checking out. "Oranges, Lemons, and Thou Besides Me" is incredibly disturbing and a nice companion to EP's "Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, etc..." If you like SF Horror, go check it out.

I did really enjoy this one - it was a fun piece with a lot of snark that made me smile. Actually, I don't think I've read a lot of Eugie Foster stories like that.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 03:01:43 PM
I like the story overall, good characters, non-typical zombies, and the interaction with the necromancer and the zombie were great.  And I LOVE readings by the Word Whore--more of her please! 

But the title I'm not so sure about.  It's a great title in its ability to catch its eye, but it relies on the hook of "Lesbian zombie" but the fact that she was a lesbian wasn't all that relevant to the resolution.  I'm not saying that the character shouldn't be a lesbian, it just seemed like putting it in the title implied that it was more important than it really was, like it was trying to get shock value out of the phrase "lesbian zombie".

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 03:18:16 PM
I'd forgotten it was a Eugie Foster story, too!  It just seems so far from what I think of as her "usual" stories, i.e. strongly influenced by (if not outright retellings of) Japanese folklore. 

Hey, she does Chinese too (Daughter of Botu), and Returning My Sister's Face even has one from Korea!  ;)
Japanese seems to get the greatest share of her attention, though... apart from "Daughter of Botu" there's one or two more Chinese stories in her book.

But she's fabulous and I'm eager for her to put out another collection.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Malapropos de Rien

• Extern
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 12:04:06 AM
Why exactly was this story rated X?  Imperial was rated R, and contained far more profanity and sexual references than this one did.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 05:29:49 PM
Why exactly was this story rated X?  Imperial was rated R, and contained far more profanity and sexual references than this one did.

Because it uses The "L" Word, in the title even!

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Malapropos de Rien

• Extern
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 05:20:46 PM
*Gasp!*

Of course, if that's the real reason, then I'm very disappointed.