Author Topic: Writing for an audience of one  (Read 11529 times)

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
on: April 10, 2007, 03:15:20 AM
I've often heard it said that you should know your audience, so instead of writing to write a book for mass consumption, I have decided to write a book for one person - my nine-year-old daughter.

I've written anything longer than about 4000 words (published? lol).
I have a general idea for a setting, the main character (someone I hope my daughter can relate to), several minor characters and several plot points. 
I haven't written an outline, but I do have a vague notion of where I'm going with the story. 
I'm keeping a separate document of notes where I have details that I write down as they appear.
I've already written a 1st draft of chapter one and started on chapter two.  I plan on going back later and re-writing them later after I have been away from them.

wish me luck!

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:25:43 AM
I've often heard it said that you should know your audience, so instead of writing to write a book for mass consumption, I have decided to write a book for one person - my nine-year-old daughter.

I think that's awesome. 

Kids make great critiquers, too, as a rule.  They don't nitpick the unimportant things, but they won't hesitate to tell you what they like and don't like.  >8->

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 07:15:52 AM
wish me luck!

Good luck!

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:33:48 AM

I think that's awesome. 

Kids make great critiquers, too, as a rule.  They don't nitpick the unimportant things, but they won't hesitate to tell you what they like and don't like.  >8->

and she doesn't limit that to what she's reading.  :P

"...it smells bad, like...mold and lipstick"

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:29:08 PM
Now whenever anyone talks about writing a novel, I can't help thinking of Stewie ribbing Brian for two minutes about the novel he's been working on for three years.

"How you, uh, how you comin' on that novel you're workin' on? Huh? Got a big, uh, big stack o' papers there?"

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:15:08 PM
Now whenever anyone talks about writing a novel, I can't help thinking of Stewie ribbing Brian for two minutes about the novel he's been working on for three years.

"How you, uh, how you comin' on that novel you're workin' on? Huh? Got a big, uh, big stack o' papers there?"

Oh man that was funny. I remember cracking up when I saw that one on TV. And I've written a couple of novels which made it even funnier for me.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:57:58 PM
I got completely stuck trying to write chapter two - so I had to get away from it for a bit. (Life conspired to assist me in that.)  Chapter three is writing itself in my head.  I just need to figure out how to get from chapter one.  :P

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 02:07:06 PM
I got completely stuck trying to write chapter two - so I had to get away from it for a bit. (Life conspired to assist me in that.)  Chapter three is writing itself in my head.  I just need to figure out how to get from chapter one.  :P

write chapter 3 first then write chapter 2 to bridge them. That's what I do if need be. Another way is to jot down a quick note about what happens in Chapter 3 and write Chapter 2 until you get to it. Either way works.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 04:42:29 PM
Sounds like you got off to a false start with Chapter 1, then.  Ditch chapters 1 and 2, and see if you can open with Chapter "3" via masked exposition.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 02:10:22 AM

write chapter 3 first then write chapter 2 to bridge them. That's what I do if need be. Another way is to jot down a quick note about what happens in Chapter 3 and write Chapter 2 until you get to it. Either way works.

Thanks for the advice.
I'd kind of resigned myself to writing chapter 3 first, but was sort of feeling guilty about it. It almost seemed like cheating.  Thinking about that, it seems kind of silly.  Why does it matter the order I assemble the puzzle as long as the picture is clear when I'm done?
Now if I could only make life stop interfering with my plans.  :P

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 02:18:39 AM
Sounds like you got off to a false start with Chapter 1, then.  Ditch chapters 1 and 2, and see if you can open with Chapter "3" via masked exposition.

I'm not sure I could do that.  Chapter 1 is a scene with just enough exposition to make it work.  Chapter 3 is another scene that happens later, with some of the same characters (the two main ones),  that happens as a result of the events in chapter 1.  Chapter 2 was becoming scenes that were just badly disguised exposition dumps to have something between chapters 1 and 3.  I could write chapter 3 and have chapter 1 as a flashback, but it would make the scene in chapter 1 loose it's sense of tension since the reader would already know the outcome.  Hmmm... Maybe I don't need to have chapter 2 at all.

Again, thanks for the advice.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 02:21:01 PM
Well if J.K. Rowling started her stories for her kids, I really donĀ“t see it as a bad idea!

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 02:51:33 AM
Arg!!
After doing lots of procrastinating (much of it on the message boards :P), I finally get back to it and discover that due to a chair-to-keyboard interface failure (probably an ID10T error), my electronic versions of chapters one and two are corrupted.

Oh well, I guess it's good that I hadn't gotten very far then :P