Author Topic: Stephen Eley's Writing Progress  (Read 31991 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: January 04, 2007, 07:31:41 AM
As I discussed in my intro to EP087.  This is my zeroth draft for the next novel project.  Feel free to jump all over me if I don't keep updating this thread.

The book I received from Don at Dreaming Mind:

That cover's made from goatskin and mohair.  I meant it: these are seriously nice books.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 07:33:20 AM
January 1 & 2:

Ryuujin

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:54:40 AM
It's actually a pretty neat book - I wish real books would come out like that, but usually it's just paperbacks. Well I for one like my books to look nice when they're all standing in line around my room.

Anyhow, you can be sure that I'll be jumping you for updates, just because you've given me permission.

Oh, and by the way, nice handwriting. It's actually readable (as opposed to my own, which even I cannot read)..

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 04:02:53 PM
Oh, and by the way, nice handwriting. It's actually readable

It is?  Huh.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:04:06 PM
January 3 & 4:

Ryuujin

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:27:01 PM
Yeah. I mean, I can read it. You should see my ogrish-style of handwriting. I'll take a picture of it at some point - it's scary.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 07:02:46 PM
I can read the handwriting reasonably well...

"Okay, start of my writing exercise for the book. Perhaps having to do this every day will improve my handwriting... Anyway, need to write in here about my writing. Lots of things that would be (illegible). What to do first. Well, there's the..."

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 06:46:37 PM
January 5 & 6:

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 07:13:47 PM
Oh, and by the way, nice handwriting. It's actually readable

It is?  Huh.

HA!
you shuld see mine

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 07:23:06 PM
i can read some of it... i personally think its pretty illegible.
heh.. im gonna try to deduce more of it!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 07:34:41 PM
The working title for the novel, by the way, is Diadem: A Revenge.

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 11:06:52 PM
Diadem: A Revenge.

I like it. I'm big on revenge.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 11:41:41 PM
January 7 & 8:

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 11:42:45 PM
January 9 & 10:

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:11:10 AM
January 9 & 10:

Good god, longhand! A whole novel that way? Wow!

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 02:27:36 AM

Well, not exactly.  It's really the Zeroth Draft of the novel, which loosely means "a bunch of notes converging upon an extended outline, with variable levels of detail."

So far I've been jotting notes down upon human history in this future; the ecology, sociology, and energy economy of the planet; a few pages about the culture and 'magic system' of the AIs; a page about the POV character (who is not the protagonist); and a page about the primary villain.  Plot has barely been touched upon.  It probably won't be for a while, unless I feel like hitting it for a day or two, then jumping back up to the big picture.

Doing this in pen means I can't hit the Delete key and spend hours mulling over getting each detail "right."  I write something down, then I move on.  Once it's written down it can't be taken back easily; it can only be built upon. 

This has been very productive for me.  So far each page is taking about half an hour.  And there's already a lot of stuff in here.  This is going to be a fairly complex storyline, and this is the best way I could think of to break out of my habit of stalling and/or skipping the planning stage.  By the time I sit down in Emacs for the first draft, I'll have a world, characters, and an entire plot.  I might diverge wildly from them as I fill in the prose, but they'll be there to come back to.  I won't get lost in the middle.

And it's surprisingly fun.  I'm enjoying every page I write, despite the sore fingers.  (My handwriting probably shows, too, that I'm not used to writing with a pen.)

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 02:59:09 AM
Okay, it is now time for us to suggest various kinds of specialty comfort-grip pens that will ease Steve's suffering.

I'm going to toss out there those lovely little soft plastic triangular cylinders that the pen goes through.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 03:14:19 AM
Okay, it is now time for us to suggest various kinds of specialty comfort-grip pens that will ease Steve's suffering.

Oh, it's not the pen.  I'm just way out of practice.

For most of these pages I'm using the Pilot G-2 gel pen, which I earnestly believe is the best cheap pen ever invented in the history of humankind.  Some of them were written with a Cross Ion, which is always with me out of the house because it fits on my keychain.

In both cases the ink is smooth, permanent, and very black.  I love gel ink.  I know writers who are addicted to fountain pens, but they'd be wasted on me.  Unless you're doing calligraphy (I can't), gel is far superior.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 03:43:47 AM
oh yes, the pilot is the BEST pen ever.   Im quite picky when it comes to m' pens, and i go for either the pilot g2 or sarasa (same)
right now, my weapon of choice happens to be a pilot.
i HATE normal, cheap bic pens now.
what mostly makes me love them is the profound black that cannot be matched. puttin the two types side by side just makes ya even more proud of the amazing black quality of the gel.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 03:57:03 AM

Well, not exactly.  It's really the Zeroth Draft of the novel, which loosely means "a bunch of notes converging upon an extended outline, with variable levels of detail."

So far I've been jotting notes down upon human history in this future; the ecology, sociology, and energy economy of the planet; a few pages about the culture and 'magic system' of the AIs; a page about the POV character (who is not the protagonist); and a page about the primary villain.  Plot has barely been touched upon.  It probably won't be for a while, unless I feel like hitting it for a day or two, then jumping back up to the big picture.

Doing this in pen means I can't hit the Delete key and spend hours mulling over getting each detail "right."  I write something down, then I move on.  Once it's written down it can't be taken back easily; it can only be built upon. 

This has been very productive for me.  So far each page is taking about half an hour.  And there's already a lot of stuff in here.  This is going to be a fairly complex storyline, and this is the best way I could think of to break out of my habit of stalling and/or skipping the planning stage.  By the time I sit down in Emacs for the first draft, I'll have a world, characters, and an entire plot.  I might diverge wildly from them as I fill in the prose, but they'll be there to come back to.  I won't get lost in the middle.

And it's surprisingly fun.  I'm enjoying every page I write, despite the sore fingers.  (My handwriting probably shows, too, that I'm not used to writing with a pen.)

Ahh, backgrounding in longhand then. I very rarely use longhand for anything but jotting notes and I keep a little wirebound 5.5/3.5 notebook with me at all times in case a sentence or scene strikes me. I used to be a pen snob, I admit it, and only wrote with either of my Waterman fountain pens, but when the nibs broke after three years of service I said to hell with it and just started using whatever was around.

When I wrote the first draft of Cleanup in Aisle Five I used a little note pad and a generic ball point stick pen, both I purchased at the St. Lukes Hospital store the day my dad had a stroke. I scrawled out most of the story while he was getting an MRI.

I still have the notebook and pen stored away.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 04:07:48 AM
what mostly makes me love them is the profound black that cannot be matched.

Agreed.  Though the other colors are nearly as deep.  I first discovered the G2 when I was editing my first novel, and was in the "print out the next-to-last draft and redline it for grammar and style nits" stage.  I'd been using red Bic pens, and then I took home a red G2 from the office.  (Hey, I don't work there any more, the statute of limitations on pen theft is over.)  >8->

When you edit with a red G2, you cannot miss the corrections on the page. It's almost as striking as a felt tip or a Sharpie, but less messy.  I was a convert from then on.

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 06:45:57 PM
I know writers who are addicted to fountain pens, but they'd be wasted on me.  Unless you're doing calligraphy (I can't), gel is far superior.

Depends on the ink.  A lot of big name pen inks have really lousy blacks.  You can get permenant "none more black" inks for fountain pens.  It's not a huge issue for me. Also depends on the pen.  I can't believe I lost my Lamy!

The gels write smooth, but they feel sloppy to me, like at any second the ink will come rushing out.  Which is ironic as I suspect that's what most other people think about fountain pens.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 04:47:04 AM
January 11 & 12:

Coyote

• Palmer
Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 07:48:39 AM
In my dealings with pens, I always look for 3 essential aspects.

1. How it feels in my hand.

2. How sloppy or neat the out-put is.

3. And most importantly, how quickly it dries.

For many people, the last wouldn't be that big of an issue, but seeing as I'm a left handed-chicken scratch-speed writer, whenever I get too enthusiastic, the ink ends up marking my hand and making my handwriting more illegible than before. This explains my propensity for using a type writer or word processor.

As for handwriting legibility, Steve's seems pretty good. That, and I am certain that if there was ever an illegible handwriting contest, I would win hands down  ;)

The following sentence is false. The previous sentence is true.

Russell Nash

Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 11:05:41 AM
As for handwriting legibility, Steve's seems pretty good. That, and I am certain that if there was ever an illegible handwriting contest, I would win hands down  ;)

Handwriting contest??
That could be fun. I'm in.