Author Topic: EP046: Natural Order  (Read 3823 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 14, 2009, 03:14:53 PM
EP046: Natural Order

By Michael Jasper.
Read by Stephen Eley.
Musical guest: Steve Dupont.

Missy downshifted as she pulled into the median of the interstate to avoid the state troopers and the mess of traffic-snarled cars attempting to leave the coast too late. I tried not to look at the panicked faces inside the cars, lit by the headlights of those behind them. All waiting to escape the storm. Just like us, but powerless to move — to phase, if needed — the way we did. Sucking on the cigarette, I slid lower onto the wornout springs of the back seat. Slowly I pulled my gaze away from those we were leaving behind.

One thing I learned from Oklahoma: if I thought about the people too much, I’d be worthless.

Rated R.  Contains graphic violent imagery, intense themes of natural and man-made disasters, and incidental profanity. Not one of our lighter stories.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:08:26 PM
I really liked the concept of the traveling road trip disaster folk, and it left me with the good sort of questions:  who's the boss that comes in over the radio?  How do they choose new members when need arises?  How do they learn these skills?  The ending didn't really thrill me:  throughout the whole thing we're told that to disobey is to pervert the natural order, and then in the end they disobey and it apparently supports the natural order?  But the concept was kick-butt enough that I'd still recommend it.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:17:55 PM
@Unblinking I know you wrote the post in 2010 so may not remember the story so well but I think the idea was that before, they did what they did to support the natural order but now humans are creating so much distruction themselves they are no longer needed to support the natural order, as the humans are doing their job for them, so much so that they actually need to start preventing the destruction in order to support the natural order, as the human race is doing so much damage. I thought it was a well thought out and well written piece.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:27:03 PM by Supernova »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:19:55 PM
@Unblinking I know you wrote the post in 2010 so may not remember the story so well but I think the idea was that before, they did what they did to support the natural order but now humans are creating so much distruction themselves they are no longer needed to support the natural order, as the humans are doing their job for them, so much so that they actually need to start preventing the destruction in order to support the natural order, as the human race is doing so much damage. I thought it was a well thought out and well written piece.

You're right, I don't remember the story!  :P