Author Topic: Science Fiction Novel Poll - Group B  (Read 11662 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: October 14, 2009, 05:27:46 PM
A new week, a new group - with some really fantastic stuff in there!  Several classics and some newer works, including a sequel of sorts, where the original book hasn't yet appeared in the poll (Ender's Game will be in group G, Ender's Shadow is the one with the same time period and different main character). 

Last week The Martian Chronicles won by a parsec.  Though most the week it looked like second place was going to be a three or four way tie, but Ringworld pulled ahead by one vote.  Both will go on to the elimination round. 

Third place was a three way tie with A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Left Hand of Darkness, and The Stars My Destination.  They each get a copy of our home game.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:37:43 PM
Dune ftw

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:41:14 PM
Burning Chrome is a collection of short stories not a novel.

The novels by William Gibson are :

Neuromancer
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive
Virtual Light
Idoru
All Tomorrow's Parties
Pattern Recognition
Spook County
Zero History

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 05:52:04 PM
I, Robot and The Martian Chronicles are short story collections too, of a sort. And like those, the stories from Burning Chrome are all set in one universe, so I think it fits.

And I used the Reddit SF book poll as a source, and surprisingly Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive got very few votes.  Of course, we'll see Neuromancer later.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:59:26 PM
I, Robot and The Martian Chronicles are short story collections too, of a sort. And like those, the stories from Burning Chrome are all set in one universe, so I think it fits.

And I used the Reddit SF book poll as a source, and surprisingly Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive got very few votes.  Of course, we'll see Neuromancer later.

They aren't all set in one universe. The Gernsback Continuum is very modern, The Belonging Kind is an alien story, Dogfight was cowritten, Fragments of a Hologram Rose was different than all the stories that came after it and it too was very modern.

The Martian Chronicles, iRobot, The Illustrated Man, and even Zenna Henderson's The People Stories (when collected) have a framing device that links the stories together. Burning Chrome does not.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:01:20 PM by jrderego »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 06:07:08 PM
Haven't read Acceleranodo (kind of intimidated by it, TBH), but I understand it's also a short story collection in the same vein as Martian Chronicles.

I agree with Jeff about Burning Chrome. That said, I'd still be happy to vote for it, because that's what made me come to love Gibson :)

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:14:26 PM
I agree with Jeff about Burning Chrome. That said, I'd still be happy to vote for it, because that's what made me come to love Gibson :)

(Slams head on desk). The thing is, if this is a novel poll, then there should only be novels listed. If I had a favorite dog poll and posted:

1. German Shepherd
2. Labrador Retriever
3. Standard Poodle
4. Springer Spaniel
5. Calico

And my justification was "well, a Calico Cat is an animal, and I like dogs AND cats" doesn't mean it's also a dog, and or that it belongs in the poll. At least use one of Gibson's OTHER novels in the poll, Virtual Light or Idoru, or Spook County... He's got plenty of novels to choose from, and who gives a nuclear mutated rat's ass what some other poll says about Count Zero or Mona Lisa Overdrive? They're novels (good novels too), and should have precedence here above his collection of shorts. Then, by all means, do a "best collection of shorts poll" and add Burning Chrome.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 06:28:39 PM
(Slams head on desk). The thing is, if this is a novel poll, then there should only be novels listed. If I had a favorite dog poll and posted:

1. German Shepherd
2. Labrador Retriever
3. Standard Poodle
4. Springer Spaniel
5. Calico
I'd vote for the German Shepherd.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 06:37:02 PM
Woo hoo, I've actually read one of these (Dune).

One. :p

Ive been meaning to read forever war but can't find it in local bookshops, or the library, and ordering online's expensive.
one of these days.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 06:53:18 PM

(Slams head on desk). The thing is, if this is a novel poll, then there should only be novels listed.

Consider it a "book" poll then.  You'll notice that I use book and novel interchangeably.  The main thing I'm trying to avoid is individual short stories, since that's what Escape Pod runs. Thus Burning Chrome, not Johnny Mnemonic. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 07:28:17 PM

(Slams head on desk).

Really, really glad you're wearing that armored helmet right now.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 09:34:54 PM
I cast five votes this time.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 10:31:55 PM
Only voted for two this time.

Y'know, I read "Revelation Space" just a couple of weeks ago. I quite liked it but, man, it was long. Well realised and some great concepts but in the end I was like, "come on, come on, get on with it!" I guess I'm not that into EPIC EPIC sci-fi or something.

Dune -- hands-down classic. Just awesome.

Haldeman -- one of my fave authors. I like a lot of the "other" ones he's done such as "The Long Habit of Living" (AKA "Buying Time") which is a fabulous examination of medical immortality, and "Tool of the Trade" which is kind of a fun easy-read mind-control gadget story. People always associate him with "The Forever War" (obviously) but he's done a lot more stuff than that. "Forever Peace" was pretty good too -- in no way a sequel to "The Forever War" however. Well, maybe thematically.

There's a couple I remember reading that didn't leave an impression. For example, I've slogged through "Stranger" at least twice but I think I mostly don't get Heinlein. I know I've read "Burning Chrome" too but can remember little about it.

As for the novel/short story argument -- doesn't bother me. Basically, Ocicat sets 'em up, I vote and blather on. That's what I'm here for.

EDIT: CRAP!!! I meant to vote for "Eon" as well!! That definitiely left an impression. Brain-bending concepts! Which makes me wonder why the Reynolds book didn't impress so much...

Can I add to my vote?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:37:48 PM by kibitzer »

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:19 PM

EDIT: CRAP!!! I meant to vote for "Eon" as well!! That definitiely left an impression. Brain-bending concepts! Which makes me wonder why the Reynolds book didn't impress so much...

Can I add to my vote?

Sadly, you can't.  I make it so you can't change 'em so that you can't game your vote.  I could reset all votes of course, but that hardly seems like a good idea.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 11:49:45 PM
Wow i am embarassed to admit I have read none of the books on this poll.  Now comes the heresy part(s)

I don't particularly care for the Asimov I have read.

Always have been intimidated by Dune, I think in part because of the size of the series now.

I voted for Dune because of it's Epicness and I voted for Stranger in a Strange land just because it inspired one of my Favorite album/posters from Iron Maiden. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 12:06:39 AM
... and I voted for Stranger in a Strange land just because it inspired one of my Favorite album/posters from Iron Maiden. 

... except that the Iron Maiden song has absolutely no relation to the novel, apart from sharing a title.

And off-topic, I like Piece of Mind and Powerslave over Somewhere in Time.  But really, all the Dickinson albums are good.

And on a related note, Maiden also did a song about Dune, "To Tame a Land" from Piece of Mind, but I think that song and "Quest for Fire" are sub-par filler on an otherwise excellent album.

[edit]
... and as for the novel Dune, you can just read Dune itself and disregard all the sequels; it's complete in itself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:08:35 AM by stePH »

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 12:20:36 AM
Nice to see Stranger in a Strange Land gettin' the love.  I'd strongly recommend Revelation Space to those who like character driven hard SF, if you can imagine such a thing.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 12:35:45 AM
I'd strongly recommend Revelation Space to those who like character driven hard SF, if you can imagine such a thing.

Haven't read much of C.J. Cherryh's "Merchanter"-universe stuff, I see.  ;D

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 12:40:21 AM
I'd strongly recommend Revelation Space to those who like character driven hard SF, if you can imagine such a thing.

No, I tried Cyteen, but I couldn't get into it.  I've been meaning to try again.  Sometimes I need to do that.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 12:49:44 AM

No, I tried Cyteen, but I couldn't get into it.  I've been meaning to try again.  Sometimes I need to do that.

The "character-driven hard SF" I had in mind would be Downbelow Station, Merchanter's Luck, Rimrunners, Tripoint, and the Heavy Time / Hellburner duo (later omnibus'd in a volume called Devil to the Belt); Cyteen is a bit softer, and in a different part of space (though still in the same milieu).  I can't recommend Finity's End because I haven't read it yet.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 03:26:53 AM
... and I voted for Stranger in a Strange land just because it inspired one of my Favorite album/posters from Iron Maiden. 

... except that the Iron Maiden song has absolutely no relation to the novel, apart from sharing a title.

And off-topic, I like Piece of Mind and Powerslave over Somewhere in Time.  But really, all the Dickinson albums are good.

And on a related note, Maiden also did a song about Dune, "To Tame a Land" from Piece of Mind, but I think that song and "Quest for Fire" are sub-par filler on an otherwise excellent album.

[edit]
... and as for the novel Dune, you can just read Dune itself and disregard all the sequels; it's complete in itself.

There is just something about that era of heavy metal.  The people making it loved sci-fi/fantasy, they played D&D (Hell listen to damn near any thing Randy James Dio's done and you would swear he was setting the narrative of his last D&D game to music), were actually educated instead of mindless drivel some music executive decided should be popular. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 03:55:00 AM
... blah blah Iron Maiden blah blah ...

There is just something about that era of heavy metal.  The people making it loved sci-fi/fantasy, they played D&D (Hell listen to damn near any thing Randy James Dio's done and you would swear he was setting the narrative of his last D&D game to music), were actually educated instead of mindless drivel some music executive decided should be popular. 

Ronnie James Dio.  I liked him best with Rainbow.

As for sci-fi metal, I simply adore Voivod (I mentioned them in the "SF music" thread some time ago).  Admittedly, vocalist Snake is no Bruce Dickinson, but guitarist Piggy (R.I.P. :() was one of a kind.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:40 AM
Sadly, you can't.  I make it so you can't change 'em so that you can't game your vote.  I could reset all votes of course, but that hardly seems like a good idea.

All good, never mind. I doubt anyone else will vote for it anyways. But it IS awesome.

@lowky -- just read "Dune", you need go no further than that. I never got past "God Emperor of Dune" myself.

@stePH -- you must be older than I thought. With all that Iron Maiden knowledge and all. I had you pegged 'bout 25.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:44 PM
... blah blah Iron Maiden blah blah ...

Ronnie James Dio.  I liked him best with Rainbow.

As for sci-fi metal, I simply adore Voivod (I mentioned them in the "SF music" thread some time ago).  Admittedly, vocalist Snake is no Bruce Dickinson, but guitarist Piggy (R.I.P. :() was one of a kind.

thanks for correction  randy didn't sound right but was in hurry when i posted.

If you like voivod/snake did you listen to probot?  Dave Grohl's I'm famous enough i can colaborate with my retired heroes now metal album.  Granted many are not truly retired, but many are past their prime.  Not all, Lemmy's song with him was pretty good.  Surprisingly one of the better songs was the hidden track with Jack Black.  Red War with Max Cavalera was good too. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 08:59:00 PM
@stePH -- you must be older than I thought. With all that Iron Maiden knowledge and all. I had you pegged 'bout 25.

I'm 40 last July.

If you like voivod/snake did you listen to probot? 

Never heard of Probot before now.  Looking at the wikipedia page, the cover looks kind of like Away designed it.  I'll see if I can find a copy to check it out.   But as for Grohl, I'm not a fan.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:03:19 PM by stePH »