Author Topic: Writers of the Future  (Read 2342 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: November 24, 2009, 02:58:25 PM
I've heard Writers of the Future mentioned a few times on EA (most recently on last week's Podcastle).  I just did a bit of research to confirm what I thought I remembered, and I share my findings here with you:

The "Writers of the Future" contest was started by L. Ron Hubbard in the '80s.  The books resulting from this contest used to be published by Bridge Publications; they are now published by Galaxy Press.  Both imprints are essentially owned by the Church of Scientology (it's a bit more convoluted actually, but that's it in a nutshell), which means that purchasing any new copies of these books puts money into the Scientologist coffers.

If this bothers you, I suggest buying used... it's how I bought every Hubbard book in my library.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:53:29 PM
I'd just add that WotF winners get paid more than any other genre market pays, with the possible exception of Tor.com. That said, I believe WotF winners can get paid like 3 times...(once for winning your quarter, once for winning your year, and then again for when the collection with your story comes out. Or something along those lines. Obviously, I'm not speaking from experience  :P).