Author Topic: EP051: Is You Is / Is You Ain’t?  (Read 5143 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 15, 2009, 05:54:31 AM
EP051: Is You Is / Is You Ain’t?

By Michael Canfield.
Read by Evo Terra.

I won’t kid you, the main reason I contracted to upload this biography is the money. I want a way out of my baby body–expensive surgery. Thank you for buying this link: even if you don’t like what I have to say, you’ve helped an old actor out.

I’m told the public will not buy a starbio uplink unless there is a tragedy involved–and a triumph.

Rated R.  Contains profanity, sexual situations, and Hollywood actors. None of which are suitable for children.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:49:33 PM
Loved it!

With the steady decline in quality of movies that follow the Hollywood formulas, I can totally see a movie/ TV series of ninja-baby.  We don't have the technology for a live-action version yet but I'm surprised they haven't done a CG one!  The idea was great, although I'm afraid that the humor of stories like this will be entirely missed by Hollywood execs and will only give them ideas.  Ninja Babies is copyrighted by Canfield now of course, but I'm sure Hollywood will just put their own clever thoughts on it like Samurai Baby.

There were a lot of extremely creepy moments in here, like the suckling movie star.  It made me cringe but kept me listening.  Seriously, this guy could be a guest for the Ambient Sleaze story!  And then the actually baby being a replacement for the engineered baby was a great idea, and the "child abuse" when the baby is bigger than you and fighting you for toy dominance.  Loved it loved it!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 05:50:03 PM
But where did the title come from?  It didn't seem to have anything to do with anything unless I'm missing a pop culture reference or something?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 05:55:03 PM
But where did the title come from?  It didn't seem to have anything to do with anything unless I'm missing a pop culture reference or something?

An old jazz number "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby?"  Most people my age first heard it watching Tom & Jerry cartoons; in one cartoon Tom (the cat) is serenading his girlcat by singing this song and plucking an upright doublebass.  It was also covered by Joe Jackson on the album "Jumpin' Jive".

Oh, the story?  Despised it.  Puts me in mind of those commercials with talking babies (you know the ones; they matte somebody else's mouth on the infant's face -- I think Subway had one not long ago.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:57 PM
An old jazz number "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby?"  Most people my age first heard it watching Tom & Jerry cartoons; in one cartoon Tom (the cat) is serenading his girlcat by singing this song and plucking an upright doublebass.  It was also covered by Joe Jackson on the album "Jumpin' Jive".

Oh, the story?  Despised it.  Puts me in mind of those commercials with talking babies (you know the ones; they matte somebody else's mouth on the infant's face -- I think Subway had one not long ago.)

Thanks for the reference--I've never heard of that song.

For me, much of the appeal of the story was the sad fact that the ninja baby idea would probably actually sell--much like the talking baby E-Trade commercials (electronic stock broking of all things!).  I hate those commercials too.