Author Topic: Pseudopod 164: Linda’s Appointment  (Read 14918 times)

DrunkenGamer

• Extern
    • FaceBook
Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:03 PM
I listened to this story last Saturday and I've still got the heebie jeebies.  I'll never ever be able to hear that song again without shuddering.

ancawonka

• Palmer
Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 09:05:09 PM
I listened to this story after Gretel, to get the image of skin being peeled off out of my mind. Big mistake. A few days later and I still have the heebie-jeebies.

Fabulous reading, fabulous story.

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 02:49:30 AM
This story scared the crap out of me. It was perfect: a perfect mix of gross body horror, the uncaring grimness of cosmic horror, and the sheer hopeless helplessness of any kind of horror. I loved it, and I will never, ever listen to it again.

Good show.

The Paladin à la Electric nailed just how I felt about this one too. Brilliant. I kept wondering how many other people have appointments and is it a well known phenomenon: the neighbours reaction included horror and disapproval rather than understanding or pity. Also, at the start she told him that any relationship with her would include the appointments. Did he know what that meant? Plus, the way it was phrased made me think that she was proud of them or something.

Creepy creepy story.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 10:09:10 PM
Loved it.  Brilliant.  A bit of a slow start - I faded in and out a little - but by the end, as things became clear, I gave rapt attention.  Wonderful ending line, BTW - absolutely classic.

This was actual horror.  Made your skin crawl.  Evoked both dread and fear - permeated with utter hopelessness.  Stories like these are the meat and potatoes of the genre: the ones that make the rare few which shine a little light seem all the brighter.  Brilliant.  Much praise to both the author and to the narrator.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 07:22:08 PM
This story scared the crap out of me. It was perfect: a perfect mix of gross body horror, the uncaring grimness of cosmic horror, and the sheer hopeless helplessness of any kind of horror. I loved it, and I will never, ever listen to it again.

Good show.

The Paladin à la Electric nailed just how I felt about this one too. Brilliant. I kept wondering how many other people have appointments and is it a well known phenomenon: the neighbours reaction included horror and disapproval rather than understanding or pity. Also, at the start she told him that any relationship with her would include the appointments. Did he know what that meant? Plus, the way it was phrased made me think that she was proud of them or something.

Electric Paladin covered most of my feeling on this. Ending got a physical reaction.

Maybe it's better to not thwart the appointments via shackles or otherwise. Maybe it's worse for either the visited or the rest of us if you don't make them mad. Maybe the alternative is worse.

EDIT after a year since I feel silly posting right after myself, even if it's been a year. If you dug this one, make sure to check out "Pieces" in the June '11 Flash collection. Lovely stuff.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:38:59 PM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #31 on: December 09, 2019, 05:28:38 PM
Cool ending but I can't help but nitpick a few things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I liked this one, but I think a few extra lines of explanation would have really helped.