Author Topic: EP063: Observations From the City of Angels  (Read 3573 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 17, 2009, 05:23:56 AM
EP063: Observations From the City of Angels

By William Shunn.
Read by Stephen Eley.

“It’s not just that, Brian. Think about this technology. The experiment’s been successful beyond anyone’s expectations. Spyware fittings for registered offenders will no doubt go into effect next year. But why stop there? Can you imagine having a therapist, a financial counselor, a social secretary, a nutritionist and personal trainer at your beck and call twenty- four hours a day? You’d like to get rid of that spare tire, right? We could help you. Really.”

Hayes shivers, though the climate inside the car is perfectly controlled. “Sure,” he says. “And I could have the whole world watching everything I do, for the rest of my life.”

Rated R.  Contains profanity and sexual themes.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:47 PM
I enjoyed this one much!  The disconnected plural first person point of view was a VERY strange tactic, but I thought it worked to good effect.  As someone pointed out on the blog, some hints like the word "thorax" really makes one wonder who the narrators are--perhaps an insectile alien race?

The guy should've foreseen what would happen if he let everyone experience his every emotion, but it was a character flaw not a writing flaw, so it worked well.

And odd how the occasional story can relate to one another unintentionally.  In this story, they speculated about what the world would be like if everyone had the monitoring devices like that, drops in crime rates, not many people watching each feed simply because there are so many feeds.  If that level of proliferation actually happened, it sounds much like the world in The Disconnected (my story over on Pseudopod).  I'd never heard this one until now, so the similarity is entirely coincidental, but interesting.