Author Topic: EP067: Life in Stone  (Read 3618 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 17, 2009, 05:26:58 AM
EP067: Life in Stone

By Tim Pratt.
Read by Stephen Eley.

After ascending 72 flights of iron stairs, creeping past tentacled sentinels lurking in pools filled with black water, and silently dispatching wizened old warriors armed with glaives and morningstars that proved a close match for his pistols and poisoned glass knives, Mr. Zealand at last stumbled into the uppermost room of Archibald Grace’s invisible tower. All Zealand’s earlier murders were mere journeyman work compared to this final assassination, the murder of a man who’d lived for untold centuries, who’d come to America and enslaved Buffalo spirits, who’d built this tower of ice and iron on the far side of the Rockies as a sanctuary and stronghold for his own precious life.

Rated R. Contains strong violent imagery, some sexual content, and themes of immor(t)ality.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:45:49 PM
Another worthy Pratt story.  I've always been intrigued by phylacteries, and this gave some new shades to it, with the memory loss attributed to loss of soul.  I had trouble sympathizing with the protagonist once he started breaking body parts without discrimination:  the story seemed to imply that the torture was okay because she got better.  But I was still interested enough to continue on to the end.