Author Topic: EP068: Depth of Field  (Read 3798 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 17, 2009, 05:29:13 AM
EP068: Depth of Field

By Stephen Dedman.
Read by Jonathon Sullivan.

One of the governor’s advisers had recommended appointing a committee of science fiction writers to investigate the saucer sightings as a way of diverting the public, and the governor had agreed. However, as none of the selection committee were SF readers, Project Birdwatch was dominated by screenwriters, writer-directors, writer-director-producers, and the occasional typecast actor. Few of them were brilliant, but they knew one side of a television camera from the other, and at least none of them had been blacklisted. The novelists and short story writers who had joined Birdwatch had soon given up in disgust. Ed had signed up for the same reasons as most of the others; the possibility of publicity, and the badly-needed fifty dollars a month. Besides, seven pretty blonde women had been abducted, and someone was responsible!

Rated R. Contains profanity, brief scenes of graphic violence, and questionable filmmaking.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:09:24 PM
This was one of the first EP's I listened to, and I remember being absolutely thrilled that there was an Ed Wood story where he came into contact with actual aliens (well, in the end, not really, but they played Eddie with it sooooooooo well). The end was shocking - pretty much a horror story at that point, which works fine for me :)

(If memory serves, PP was just coming onto the scene at this point, so there was still some crossover.)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 05:42:24 PM
Not a bad story, though I'm sure it would've been more powerful if I knew much about Ed Wood.  I'm aware of Plan 9 From Outer Space only because there was a graphical puzzle adventure game based on it--I played it and was at the time unaware that there was any movie it was based.  Needless to say it was very very weird...