Author Topic: Pseudopod 165: The Copse  (Read 34998 times)

Robert Mammone

• Palmer
Reply #75 on: November 29, 2010, 02:05:22 AM
A short comment from outside these forums for my story. 

http://daljeanis.blogspot.com/2010/11/why-every-beginning-writer-should-study.html

Malapropos de Rien

• Extern
Reply #76 on: January 05, 2011, 05:53:28 AM
Well, I just listened to this story yesterday, as I work my way through the older episodes, and I wanted to express my pleasure at such a classic style horror piece.  I must say I'm not familiar with the names of Ramsey Campbell or Robert Aickman, though I may know their work or works influenced by them, but this story feels like what I think of as a sort of "gothic" horror, or something akin to how Poe wrote.

No, it is not subtle.  And I like subtlety, but perhaps not all the time.  Much like the 1980 movie The Changeling, starring George C. Scott, which was also very unambiguous in its creepiness, it quickly disarmed me of the notion that I should expect something else, and that allowed me to enjoy it for what it was.  I see this story as a feast with all the trimmings -- those trimmings being the vivid descriptions, and the many, many touches that made the danger so imminent to Sara, and the suspense resulting from the fact that she does nothing to stop it.  Seemingly a victim of her social inhibitions and manners, more than a paralysing fear, perhaps.  I'm not sure if that's enough to explain her lack of action even after Standish's wife explicitly warns her to get out, though, and perhaps the story would have done better without that bit, so that she may yet doubt whether the danger is real (more Hitchcock-like that way, I think).

No one seems to have mentioned the dialogue, which I thought was well-written and characterised them nicely.

In the end, this story delivered exactly what I felt it promised at the beginning.  I rated this story 4 out of 5 stars, which on my scale means that I enjoyed it such that I would gladly listen to it or read it again.

Robert, I would like to take you up on your offer of the text of this story, and a PM will follow in case you miss this post.

IrisOsiris

• Extern
Reply #77 on: May 02, 2015, 08:35:07 AM
Hello all! While I know that I'm WAY out of the loop on this one, I liked this story so much that I, a 6 year lurker of the EA forums, felt compelled to create an account, just so I could comment on this story. I absolutely loved this! No idea how, after listening to the pod's episodes on repeat year after year, this story escaped me (insert joke about "escape" artists here) but I'm glad that i finally caught it. I see a lot of people commenting about it being a bit obscure, but I felt that it was a strength rather than a weakness. And the last scene just gave me shivers. Wish I would have made an account years ago so I could have commented when the author may have actually seen it. While I doubt  anyone will see this post, I've been lurking the forum for years, seeing what you awesome folk think of these stories, so maybe someone will! Anyways, loved this one, left a huge impression on me. Will definitely be getting bookmarked as one of my pseudopod faves!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #78 on: May 03, 2015, 10:48:21 PM
Nice to hear from you, IsisOsiris! I think it's fabulous people are still finding the older stories and that they make an impression :) Thanks for stopping by.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #79 on: May 04, 2015, 03:34:14 PM
While I doubt  anyone will see this post, I've been lurking the forum for years, seeing what you awesome folk think of these stories, so maybe someone will! Anyways, loved this one, left a huge impression on me. Will definitely be getting bookmarked as one of my pseudopod faves!

Post seen!  I love to see old episodes pop up with new feedback, and I'm not alone in that.  Feel free to raise whatever old thread you feel moved to raise, and I hope you stick around to enjoy the discussion.  :)

Malapropos de Rien

• Extern
Reply #80 on: May 04, 2015, 09:02:02 PM
Seen here, too, since I posted in this thread before and get notifications when there's activity in it.   ;D  It would be interesting to listen to this story again now that I've read some more things like The Castle of Otranto.

Robert Mammone

• Palmer
Reply #81 on: September 04, 2015, 02:32:53 PM
Hello all! While I know that I'm WAY out of the loop on this one, I liked this story so much that I, a 6 year lurker of the EA forums, felt compelled to create an account, just so I could comment on this story. I absolutely loved this! No idea how, after listening to the pod's episodes on repeat year after year, this story escaped me (insert joke about "escape" artists here) but I'm glad that i finally caught it. I see a lot of people commenting about it being a bit obscure, but I felt that it was a strength rather than a weakness. And the last scene just gave me shivers. Wish I would have made an account years ago so I could have commented when the author may have actually seen it. While I doubt  anyone will see this post, I've been lurking the forum for years, seeing what you awesome folk think of these stories, so maybe someone will! Anyways, loved this one, left a huge impression on me. Will definitely be getting bookmarked as one of my pseudopod faves!

It's been many a year since I logged in here and what do I find but another kind post by a listener.  As always, the story only comes alive thanks to the narrator, so once again I tip my hat to Stuart.  Really glad you enjoyed the story.  I'ts been so long since I wrote it I should dig up a copy and look it over.  And listen to the recording once more.  Hope everyone on the forums is well!